Jethro Tull - Benefit

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheRealMcCoy, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member Thread Starter

Looking to see what is a good sounding version of this record. How is the Remaster on CD? LP? Also its has to have "Teacher" on it as well, I've read that it doesn't appear on all versions of this record.

Thanks
    Marko

2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

3. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

'Teacher' was a non-LP single, used as a substitute for one of the album tracks on the US pressing. It's included on the CD remaster as one of the bonus tracks.

I've never heard the US CD (which I didn't buy at the time because I wanted the complete original album), but the UK remaster sounds pretty good to me. There's a small amount of NR (more than I would prefer), but it sounds like it was taken from a much better source tape than the old UK CD.

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Teacher was on the US version of the album, not the UK. The German version originally included a cool poster not available elsewhere (to my knowledge). I have all three, US reprise, UK Pink Island, and German (no poster, alas), and would probably pick the UK sound wise.

I haven't heard a version, either digital or analog, that really wows me the way the MoFi Stand Up did, though my European vinyl would sound better if it was minty instead of vg minusy.

5. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Benefit, like Aqualung, is never going to sound superb in any format. It's the recording. UK Island copies never sounded too good either.
    Supposedly the version in "The Originals" set is very good and you get the first 3 albums in mini-vinyl form.
    This Was, Stand Up and Thick As A Brick were much better recordings than Benefit and Aqualung. The drums seem to be squashed and the bass appears to be attenuated and those 2 albums seem to have no dynamics.

6. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I imagine it's been said elsewhere here, but I'm glad you mentioned that. I only previously heard (on a poor system) AQUALUNG on a beat up late '70s US pressing and didn't remember anything about the sound quality. After hearing so many say just how amazing the Classic Records AQUALUNG was, I was excited to put it on only to find... well, those darn drums sound terrible, and even the vocals just don't seem right at times. Seems I was certainly expecting too much from this recording.

Haven't heard BENEFIT yet, but that's my next one to get as I like most everything else I've heard from the band from this time.

7. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

I love my US original Chrysalis CD (BMG club). It sounds warm. Especially, 2nd track, "Nothing To Say". Ian's voice on this one sounds like he's singing in my room :thumbsup:
    "Teacher" is the 8th track on this CD.;)

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

As has been said many times on the forum, the original Chrysalis US cd of "Benefit" is far, far better than the remaster, and is in fact the best sounding version ever released.

9. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

When "Benefit" was released in 1970, Reprise ran an ad in Rolling Stone using the cut-outs used on the lp cover, with a contest: "If you can name all the songs on Jethro Tull's new album "Benefit", you will win one of these displays.
    Anyone ever seen one?

10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It should be noted that the UK single version of "Teacher" is a completely different take and arrangement.

11. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Teacher

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=132673&page=4

12. TheRealMcCoy

Time to dig though those used CD bins to find this one:righton:

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I didn't realise that Benefit came in a pink UK Island pressing. I've only ever heard of a sunray island version and the green Chrysalis label with the Island "i" on it (as per the original Island/Chrysalis UK release of Aqualung).
    Could you please send a pic of the pink label UK Island?

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

No, you're right. I was posting from work, and from memory (both bad things). It's the German copy that has a pink Island label.

15. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

I love the 'enforced' warmth of my dodgy 80's cassette re-issue!! (No laughing!!) :D

[​IMG]

An album of sublime song craft.....one of my all-time favourite records. :agree:

[​IMG]

T.

16. TheRealMcCoy

Good Stuff:righton: Too bad it doesn't have Teacher on it.

17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'd say the U.S Chrysalis. The one included in The Originals box is running at a slower speed, and just sounds kinda weird.

18. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

a time for everything- Great tune with very eastern sounding singing from Ian Anderson...

19. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

Like many, I stupidly sold my original Chrysalis Benefit CD for the remaster. Now that I finally got around to looking for an old one, I found that there are two Chrysalis versions out there, one on Columbia (VK41043) and one on EMI (F2 21043). Is there a difference? Thanks, Lar

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

F2 is a latter pressing...

IIRC, they are identical.

21. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

Agreed. I've got a US white label promo and it is completely squashed. I'm not sure what they were thinking from an engineering point of view. Here's one album I's like someone to remix if the original multitracks are still around.

22. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

That's a curious use of the phrase 'in fact' for what is, as best I can tell, an opinion.

23. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

I find the remaster to be heads above the original Chrys cd.

24. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Well that's because I don't believe anyone has ever voiced an alternate opinion after comparing.

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:confused:

Do you mean original Chrysalis cd from the UK or the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.