SH Spotlight Steve's Mastering Secrets, Part II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by salleno, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emjayen

emjayen Forum Resident

Steve, being HUGE fan of Fred Darian and his JAF 45s, I was a bit puzzled by the lack of wider separation on "Johnny Willow," which you remastered from the original 3-track tape for its stereo debut on his "American Songbook" CD. What benefit were you seeking from creating a narrow stereo mix? Also, the master used for "North To Durango" was not the original JAF single version. How did that happen? Still puzzled, too, as how "North To Durango" also saw release on United Artists. What do you know? Thanks.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No Fred Darian song was recorded in three channel. Twin track only.

Johnny Willow, Fred wanted mono, I wanted a bit more "space" between the vocal and music track, that's what we came up with.

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Steve... a question about EQ for you.

I feel like I'm pretty good at finding the offending frequencies. I began by examining the "pressure points" that you describe in the interview archives. From there, I've been able to venture out to other frequencies when needed.

But what about the slope? When do you know you have the right width? Do you have any good ways, like the pressure points, to learn the effects of slope?

I've been adjusting the EQ on the original Columbia CD of Sticky Fingers. Sometimes I'll hit a frequency that is needed, but it's easy to go too far with a minimal amount of gain. So I'll adjust the slope so it's thinner... that seems to help. But other than that, it's just trial and error.

Any tips?

4. Steve Hoffman

Not really. I applaud your efforts though. I learned how to use the tricky Parametric by watching the pros at Whitney Studios and Future Disc Systems do it (Kevin Gray, Dave Hernandez, Steve Hall, etc.)

They almost never messed with the slope. The "6" on a Sontec ("1" on a GML) is the only slope that actually occurs in nature and that's what I've used for 99% of all my EQ'ing.. If it isn't working for you I suggest that possibly the freq. is not quite right...

5. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Thanks Steve... I'm using digital EQ, so I guess I have to figure out the equivalent of a Sontec 6. :thumbsup:

6. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

Steve have you ever been approached to do anything from Sam Cooke? I would die to hear some of the 45 versions redone by you

If too far off topic sorry

7. Steve Hoffman

No. Mono? Never happen in our lifetime..

8. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

Very sad, we want to buy it, and it's not offered.

9. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I too would like to know what the digital EQ equivalent of a Sontec 6 is...anybody help CardinalFang and I out?

10. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Paul,

I did some research last night. I think that a Q of .8 is equal to Sontec 6. I'm using the Waves Renaissance compressor.

11. emjayen

emjayen Forum Resident

My apologies for assuming that Fred Darian's tapes were mixed from three-track reels. Maybe I was thinking of the yet-to-be-issued Dobie Gray sessions that he produced on Charger. At any rate, it was great to finally hear Fred's songs in true digital clarity. Nice job, Steve.

12. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

Hi Steve.

I don't know if this was mentioned or not before, but I heard many years ago (from William [Bill] Whitman)of a Pete Townshend personal mix of Who's Next....and that it was fab.

Any recollection of this, and will we ever hear it?

13. Steve Hoffman

Never was aware of it but I'm sure there are many unissued mix attempts of our favorite albums. They usually end up with the artist or producer or filed in the vault as "Do Not Use". :)

14. Zal

Zal Recording engineer

After your response, I know it doesn't really make a difference, but I left out a word in my questioning...

personal MONO mix

15. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Whoa!

16. Steve Hoffman

Zal,

Yeah, I knew you meant MONO. Thing is, Olympic just gave him a fold down of the (a) stereo mix. They didn't mix the entire album for him in mono.

17. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Steve, what did you perform on "The Summit"? I have had a recording of the Villa Venice gig and wished to know what you did to make it sound so much better than what was out there...(besides accessing the masters of course and also being legal!)

18. So you remixed it, or tripped over a tape after hunting for weeks? :confused:

19. Gee, my two 'No Dice' cd's sound pretty different than each other.
    You must have been a bit luckier than me with that EMI cd (haha).

I agree that the difference between the 2 'Straight Up' cd's is more pronounced.

If you want to hear 'We're For The Dark" all crappy and distorted, get the
    'Best Of Badfinger' that Dan Mantovina picked the tunes for
    (the 2nd one w/ the color cover). The mastering engineer butchered that one.

20. salleno

salleno Forum Resident Thread Starter

Steve - I love how you leave studio chatter/other takes on certain tracks (ie, DCC Elvis - Elvis is Back! - Such A Night). Do you make the decision to leave this on or is this beyond your control?

21. Steve Hoffman

All depends.

Sorry, but it's that vague!

22. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Steve,

A question about the Nat King Cole LP you did for S&P, "Just One Of Those Things."

Were the 3 bonus tracks remixed as well or were they the original stereo mixes since they came from a different album?

23. Steve Hoffman

That is the red cover with the cig in the bar?

Everything on that was from the "binaural" three-channels.

24. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Yep. That's the one.

I like the artwork on that one.

25. Steve Hoffman

All remixed, yes. The bonus tracks on LOVE IS THE THING that I did had the actual old two track mixes. Not enough time to get those done....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.