My Three Sons - Color or Black and White episodes?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by bencasey, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bencasey

bencasey New Member Thread Starter

Personally, I much prefer the black and whites with William Frawley and Tim Considine. I don't care for the colors at all. Just two very different shows. I like Ernie better as the friend and neighbor than as a son.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I haven't seen one of those in 35 years. Is it true that Fred filmed all of his shots for the entire season in like three weeks so he could lounge the rest of the year? That must have been a heck of a continuity problem..

3. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but that's basically it. His contract stipulated that he work only 65 days in two segments with a 10 week hiatus in between. This was the way they worked for the whole series run. :yikes:

4. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I thought I was the only person in the world who thought that same exact sentiment. "Bub" was terrific, the show was a little saltier than the honey-sweet color episodes that came later.

5. Another Side

The black and white ABC episodes were only in syndication for a short while. I'm sure most aren't familiar with them. But you're right the early episodes are much better. Same thing with Andy Griffith and Bewitched.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Most shows went to hell when "forced" to go color in '65-66. My Favorite Martian, Andy, Avengers, Jeanie, and on and on. Can you imagine the Dick Van Dyke show in color? That would be weird.

Less time for good camera shots, lighting had to be really bright, etc. A bad time, almost as bad as when movies went to sound and the camera had to stop moving and be "encased".

7. Another Side

I think there was a sea change in general right at that time. That was really the end of the golden age of TV.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

THE BLACK & WHITE SHOWS...

hjust a note to the studio...

thanks for announcing and canceling the dvd box set!

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

So, DVD's of this series are not available?

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

nope, they announced a split 1st DVD season then withdrew it.

11. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

I grew up on the colour ones and was shocked when Nike-at-Nite (when it really was Nick at night, and Nickelodian during the day) showed the black-and-white ones. It did, at least, explain the first scene of the first colour episode with the older son leaving.

I like them both now, but the colour ones are hard to take now with them just forgetting the older son (Mike was it?). The very late ones with Steve remarried and the little Dottie girl I could do without though.

12. Sadly, Paramount has delayed the DVD release of this set. The B&W episodes were better written IMHO in terms of character and plot.

13. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

A little bit of trivia: Dawn Lyn who played Steve Douglas' stepdaughter Dodie in the later episodes, is the real-life younger sister of 1970s teen idol Leif Garrett. The first two photographs are pictures of them together. The second photo is a Gunsmoke collage where they both appeared in the same episode.

Attached Files:

14. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Shows were always dead by the time the added extra people like Dodie...see...Brady Bunch with that irritating Oliver...Happy Days with that idiot Chachi...I forget, did the Partridge Family add someone like this... Anyway...you get my point.... The list goes on....

15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

The Partridge Family had the misfortune of adding Ricky Seagull to the last few episodes. I guess he was a neighbor's kid or something. Inevitably, he sang a few awful songs during the last 5 minutes.

16. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Maybe, but to see Laura Petrie in color? C'mon, that's GOTTA have SOME merit to it!

Haven't seen MY THREE SONS in years.....probably since the VERY early days of NICK-AT-NITE, but I do indeed remember that they early B&W's were much better eps.

Attached Files:

17. Beatledave

Beatledave New Member

I remember watching all the B/W episodes in the late 80's when they we're on Nick at Nite. I wished I had videotaped them 'cause they we're damn good. Frawley was great.:righton:

18. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Robbie Rist was only on the last six episodes of the The Brady Bruch...

19. rpd

rpd Senior Member

And they were horrible episodes....:)

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I used to love watching the B&W episodes on Nick At Nite. I really wish it would come to TV Land. I saw one color episode on TV Land a few years ago and I wasn't impressed.

21. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. I never warmed up to Uncle Charlie. And once the color episodes came and then Steve got married and the bratty little girl and Robbie and his wife and they had three kids. YIKES !!!!!!!!

22. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

We have a new channel coming to our cabel system soon called Retro TV. I'm hoping for shows like Nick At Nite used to show.

23. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Yeah, as much as I hate the cliche, that's when the show "jumped the shark".

I could watch the original black & white episodes before I had to go to bed as a kid, so it was a treat for me.

24. bencasey

bencasey New Member Thread Starter

Adding to the list:

Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Man from UNCLE, The Fugitive, Combat, 12 O'Clock High, F Troop, etc. Is there a show that didn't get worse when it switched to color?

25. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Disneyland (B&W on cheapskate ABC) aka Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color (moved to NBC and C-O-L-O-R broadcast) aka The Wonderful World of Disney might qualify; same for Rocky and His Friends on ABC (B&W), then moving over to NBC and becoming The Bullwinkle Show - that NBC Living Color peacock is a pretty varmint. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.