VAN MORRISON Album by Album Discussion: Part 2 (Wavelength 1978 - Enlightenment 1990)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

ditto, but from your great post! what a nice way to end my Sunday night online....see ya tomorrow:wave:

2. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

Please form an organized queue during normal business hours.:wave:

3. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

The line is that long?

Tim

4. jostber

jostber Forum Resident

This might be one of the top 3 of Van's I have listened to most. I really love this album, and I think the vinyl I have got sounds very fine. My favourite on this album is the title track which to me is a soul tour de force. Anyone knows if it ever was done live?

A lot of other great songs here too, and "Real, Real Gone" is another favourite. Betty Lavette's got a fine version of that too on this:

[​IMG]

5. Enlightenment was done live regularly during 1990 and 1991.

6. jostber

jostber Forum Resident

7. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

I'm with you, Tim. I love this album, it's brilliant. Coming out in '90, it never occurred to me it would be on vinyl. I was looking on Ebay for a replacement of Common One and ran across Enlightenment, a UK import, and snatched it right up. Now if I could only find a vinyl of Hymns, another huge Van favorite of mine. They show up, but very pricey.

8. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

How is that vinyl? One thing that has probably already been said, - most of Van's cds just don't require any re-mastering. I've got a bunch of them that are just the basic American releases, and with a few exceptions, they sound great. I've been ripping them all to hard drive over the last couple of weeks, which is a better transport than anything I've been using, and I've been monitoring the process through my Senn HD580s, which are better than my speakers and a LOT better than my room. I've been struck by how warm, detailed and dynamic most of them are.

Tim

9. DJ WILBUR

yup the original albums on cd from this late 80s til they "remastered" them are are excellent....

10. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I generally agree for the WB catalog. The original Mercurys I'm less thrilled with at least for Sense Of Wonder and Poetic Champions. Haven't heard the original of No Guru. Original Avalon Sunset and Enlightenment sound pretty nice.

11. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

The vinyl of Enlightenment is very nice. I'll probably never listen to the cd again. One thing that is funny, on the back cover the next to last song is titled She's A Baby. :laugh:

12. DJ WILBUR

One of my favorite Van Morrison stories comes from around this time....89 or 90.

PolyGram flew Van over from Europe to do The David Letterman Show. Van hadnt done any US tv in a mighty long time and it took some coaxing to get Van to do this.

So he arrives to the show to rehearse soundcheck whatever and he REFUSES to do only one song. He didnt come all this way to do one song, he's not performing on the show unless he can sing two songs. and he draws his line in the sand.

And the label is freaking and the show is freaking and there is no convincing Van to do only one song.

so Van wins out, he does two songs. I taped that show (I wish I still had the VHS) and you can see from the look on Lettermans face both times he intros Van, he's just spitting bullets out about it. It was so clear he was pissed that this guy hijacked his show....

hahahaha....I forget what year it was, but either 89 or 90...it was either Avalon or Enlightenment, I dont remember now, but such a triumph for our grumpy hero eh? I dont think anyone else ever got to do 2 songs on Letterman, except maybe Warren Zevon and he was dying at the time....

13. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

See? He usually gets criticized because his shows are too short. But in this case, it was twice as long as anyone else's!

Springsteen ever played Letterman? Can we say that Celtic Curmudgeon performed twice as long as Springsteen?

Tim

14. Dylan did three songs but refused to be interviewed:

Don't Start Me Talkin'
    License To Kill
    Jokerman.

Performed with a young(ish) band, Dylan was magnificent on Letterman - I think Jokerman from this show is one of my favourite Dylan performances ever.

Best Wishes
    David

15. DJ WILBUR

oh wow, do you remember what year this was by chance?

16. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

1983 I believe... I have it on a "European" DVD, if you catch me drift...
    Has the rehearsals too, all great stuff, Zimmy and young turks in fine form...

17. DJ WILBUR

wow, so many years before Van's appearance, then again Letterman got bigger and bigger through the 80s too...

18. mrbillswildride

Well any Dylan on TV was rare then. He assume he had carte blache to do as he wished, and yes, Letterman was just starting off... Great Van story, I can just picture the tension in the studio.

Been reading up on a few Van bios as research for a 4 hour Van radio special we plan on doing when Keep It Simple comes out. Each set will start with a new song from it, then the other DJ will follow on wherever. My co~host is much more conversant in his epic career than I, so I'm doing my homework. I have all the classics, 70s stuff, and some more recent albums, just loved the Common one Cd I just got, and the first three reissues... So much material to cover. Any one Van bio best? I want to read this whole thread but 885 post is pretty daunting, is there a good summary someplace? :) I did go find that I had a RL WLP of his Street Choir thanks to this thread, sounded amazing... My fave? Veedon Fleece...

PS: My only Van show? UCLA Pauley Pavallion: Dylan opened, Joni followed, both great, but Van tore the house down, by midnight we were in church, rocking our celtic souls in heaven... never forget it... can't believe I liked it better than Joni... and Zimmy!!!! That man knows how to work a crowd...

19. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I think the consensus is that Clinton Heylin's book is the best.

885? Heh, this is only part II of the thread. The first 1,000 posts covered the 70's in part I. Happy reading :D

20. mrbillswildride

f*** me, 1,000 more... Mindboggling... and no summary anywhere? :)

ps, is that Donald Fagan in your avatar?

21. DJ WILBUR

OK, you can stay and play with us then.....:D You passed the test...hahaha,

welcome and let us know when you show airs, maybe we can stream it?

22. DJ WILBUR

that might just be Graham Parker.....and how art thou in yours??

23. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

You might take a look at our host's thread on Moondance/Into The Mystic...

The True Story of the "INTO THE MYSTIC" mixing goof on Van Morrison's MOONDANCE album

24. mrbillswildride

Glad to know I'm in :) More brownie points for having an out of body exp. listening to When Heart Is Open (on Lp) in the dark last week? That's why I bought the cd, plus I gather some like the original cds over these remasters...

Sadly, the show is not streamed, local radio only, 10PM to 1am, but in this case 2AM. Hardly prime time, but some will dig it, and I'll have cd-rs after...

The problem is not what to play but what not to play, with over 40 albums, we can't even play one off each album if we play any longer songs. and with at least six off the new one... well, do the math.. we have a rule, if you play a song over 6:30 (half Van catalog!) the other person gets two songs, or one long song, but you can't plan another long song till he plays his... so you have to be careful...By my research/listening time's end, i'll basically have one song of each on my list and maybe get to half of them... pure torture...

we could have worse woes...

25. mrbillswildride

Mind Art Roy Harper, from the US cover to his HQ album (UK 1975), it was retitled When an Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease on its 1976 US, Chrysalis release with this cover... My avatar picture however is of the ultra rare promo poster 24x24" of sad cover, that came with some copies of the Intro to Roy Harper Chrysalis promo only Lp of 1976, only 500 made... I got it autographed a decade ago... hangs proudly on my wall... Roy is my Van!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.