VAN MORRISON Album by Album Discussion: Part 2 (Wavelength 1978 - Enlightenment 1990)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

Last edited by DJ WILBUR : Today at 02:43 PM. Reason: to add "SO BLAME TOM"
    :laugh::biglaugh:

2. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

I think you're being too kind. I think he misses the point entirely.

Yours sincerely,

Fanboy Farney

PS: "paucity of ideas from our paunchy patron:)" - Having a bit of fun, aren't we?

PSS: WAAAAY of topic. I'm listening to Springsteen's "Tunnel of Love" right now and it strikes me that I like the sound of this record as much as I dislike the sound of "Magic."

3. Clarkophile

Heh-heh, I'm sort of hoping "paunchy patron" will catch on and become a nickname for our churlish cherub, George Ivan.

I love Tunnel of Love. That's my fave Broooooce album.

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

is it? Funny, I listened to a bunch of Bruce today, but never pull that one out...i'm gonna pull it out now....

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yes, please do. Tunnel Of Love gets my endorsement, too. A very underrated Boss album :thumbsup:

6. Clarkophile

It's not Sunday afternoon, but it is winter. To get into a Hymns mindset (DJWILBUR is tackling CD1 on Friday), picture a young George Ivan listening to something like this:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=51bUF8eIuRg

7. DJ WILBUR

ah, thats a sweet video young tom.

8. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

I'll stand by you on this one Connie. Not to worry. We'll face down the unbelievers.

Tim

9. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

No love for disc one? I play that one more. I apologize for referencing the next topic. Sue me.

10. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Gents work is crushing me so I'll just say I rank Enlightenment as one of those great second tier Van albums. It connected with me more directly than Avalon Sunset (an album whose charms I discovered because of this thread). Yes it has a few weak moments, She's My Baby and Start All Over Again, but the first three cuts are all big winners. :righton:

I vote the narration on In The Days Before Rock and Roll as the oddest moment in any Van album. But I LOVE it. Van is drawn to the sound of a choir once again, and The Ambrosian Singers Choir are a wholly successful use of massed voices they make a joyful noise. The synths are used more as seasoning and add tonal color and texture that I find less intrusive than on previous albums. There is a greater variety of mood and pace than on Avalon Sunset. It is a solid respectable album also unviolated by Rod Stewart.;)

I like the pin hole photo on the cover of the hands holding the flowers, it has a little poetry and mystery. Now on to Hymns I must return to the salt mines.:wave:

11. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

I'm with you, Pete. I love that cock-eyed narration on that song. The man is so out-there.

I used to say (pre-download days) that I'd love to see Van do an album with Stevie Nicks. You wouldn't be able to buy it, it would be beamed from a satellite in space. I meant it as a compliment.

12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Rhianin, love you forgot your glove..... :agree: :laugh:

13. DJ WILBUR

say what? :confused:

14. Clarkophile

For eighteen long years I've wondered what the cover image was. Now that you've pointed it out, it looks incredibly obvious to me.

Attached Files:

15. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

I never knew what the hell it was, either. It's more obvious when you see the lp. I'm frankly shocked someone would know it from the cd.

16. DJ WILBUR

all this talk of Van vinyl from tihs period is making me very jealous.

Any other thoughts on Englightenment? we'll move on to disc one of Hymns tomorrow....and it will begin PART THREE of the Van Morrison album to album thread.....so after tomorrow...we're in a new location...

17. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

About 1,000 posts per decade. Not bad. . .

18. Clarkophile

Me too. I've never even seen the vinyl for this one. I had moved on to CD by the time this came out.

Ahh, vinyl. Take me back, take me way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way back.

19. dee

dee Senior Member

The 1st 3 are my favorites, but I haven't had a chance to revisit this one during this week.

20. dee

dee Senior Member

21. dee

dee Senior Member

New Van show @Wolfgangsvault...7/29/74...complete show from the Orphanage, SF, CA...

22. seriousfun

seriousfun Forum Resident

Slow down :laugh:

My No Guru LP is in a box - I'm moving over the next few weeks, and I won't be able to listen to it until I'm all set up in the new place. It was one of the last LPs I bought in the '80s, and definitely the last Van LP I bought when it was new - my Avalon Sunset was one of my first CDs (that, and subsequent CDs, I have ripped to my hard drive in FLAC).

23. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

Telefunken. And I'm waitin'. For that inner groove distortion. Waitin'. Waitin'. Still...wait...n....

Tim

24. DJ WILBUR

another one with late 80s Van vinyl....I'm gonna take my toys and go home now.....:shake:

25. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Wilbur,

I've got Hymns and Exile on beautiful, gatefold import vinyl, gotten in a trade five years ago.. Have never played them, but plan on breaking them out now, as the thread goes into its third part/1,000 ! ... :) Wish I had Guru though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.