VAN MORRISON Album by Album Discussion: Part 2 (Wavelength 1978 - Enlightenment 1990)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

I'll trade ya for the Hymns!
    :D

2. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

What? Two for one? And mine an import? Yours is US no? :)

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Robert Christgau's review here....(any more last thoughts on Enlightenment before we open up the Hymnal?)

Enlightenment [Mercury, 1990]
    Only a perverse mother*ucker would choose such a title for an album whose title refrain goes "Don't know what it is." What's he trying to do, fake out the satori market? Also: orchestras, the names of r&b singers, a weird recitative about the radio, and other tried-and-trues, all executed with faith, hope, and charity. Inspirational Verse: "In my soul, in my soul, in my soul." B+[/
    I]

4. mrbillswildride

Robert C. is an ***. Don't know why he gets print time. Wanna be punk...
    Why does he bother reviewing "hippie" music? We know he's gonna crap on it... His Joni Mitchell "Shine" review was pure Chrisco... all ego, no mojo...

5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Sorry to be obtuse, see the first line of my post 'work is crushing me.' I meant to say I had to get back to work while you guys proceed with the thread on to Hymns to the Silence. I'll be working long days for a spell, therefore I can't be as long winded and pompous as I usually am on my posts. I know it will be tough on you guys.;)

Tom I'm glad I helped you decipher the cover. Yes, it is MUCH clearer in the 12' vinyl format. I don't know if it really was shot using a pin hole camera, but it has that look. Cheers.:)

6. conniefrancis

conniefrancis New Member

Enlightenment is a UK import, I don't think it was pressed domestically on vinyl. I was just joshing ya, I wouldn't expect anyone to give up a copy of Hymns on vinyl.
    :sigh: :shake:

7. DJ WILBUR

oh if I had one of these, it'd be my pleasure to trade Enlightenment for it or even just give it to you. It should be in someones hands who reveres it!

We're moving on to Part Three of this thread and "Hymns To The Silence" soon....any last thoughts for this current thread before it gets locked?

8. DJ WILBUR

thanks for recommending going back to this one. havent heard it in a mighty long time and its great.

9. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

NOTIFICATION FROM YOUR THREAD-STARTERS:
    So, you still don't know what Enlightenment is but you're desperate to find out? Well, come on over to Part 3 (starting soon) where William will see me through just a closer walk with thee down Hyndford Street in the Eternal Now. (Village Idiots may be present, so please carry a torch during nighttime hours.)

10. mrbillswildride

11. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

I hear that, brother! He said really nasty things about the Wetton/Cross/Bruford/Fripp-era King Crimson, too. And that is not allowed.

Tim

12. mrbillswildride

He did? Why... if I had a rope... Let him dangle...

But seriousy, I know reviewers are paid to be critical of mediocre wokrs, but all of his stuff I've read is totally slanted toward worshipping 70s punk, and slagging on 70s prog and "hippie" musicians... And lord help us if a 60s artist tries to be relevant in the 90s or 00s... Robert's pen knows no furry... I diagree with about 90% of what the man writes, and mainly don't like the way he says it... I mean if he didn't see god on Larks Tongue in Aspic...

bye the bye, love your avatar!!! Bright Lights Tonight is my fave, followed by Pour Down Like Silver, and of course, all his Fariport stuff...Beeswing...

13. Matty

Matty Forum Resident

He gave Enlightenment a B+ and said that although Van was revisiting familiar themes, he was doing so with "faith, hope, and charity." How does this equal "crapping" on the album, as you eloquently put it?

14. DJ WILBUR

"Faith and Hope and Charity" is my favorite Fun Boy Three song! :D

15. butch

butch Senior Member

THAT IS ALLOWED!Look,I liked the Red/KC/WettonBrufordFripp combo but that is one man's opinion!If he doesn't get a Van the Man piece either then that's his problem.He might have been pulling a Maxim on some stuff he reviewed anyway,that is not really hear the album and form an opinion to suit his fancy.Who knows what he was doing................

16. butch

butch Senior Member

DJW you are so LIR!Or are you daring to be different like DRE?

17. mrbillswildride

Matty,

I went back and reread it. I stand by my "crapping" comment, eloquent or not. "Perverse mother***...., satori mrket, inspired lyrics? His review, like most of his, is riddled with sarcasm, and brutal digs... Why not send in a reviewer who might actually listen with open ears and actually say something construct and/or even critical, rather than just drop a bunch of 'clever lines' that shows how far he has his head up his... No, this man has no business reviewing Van, nor Joni, nor... I must respectfooly disagree with you here Matty... not a fan of bobby's...

18. DJ WILBUR

I'm both LIR and DRE...lets face it growing on on LI it was unavoidable if you wanted things from england...man that old toad and his stupid two hour friday afternoon show on NEW....gimme a break. He'd roll out London Calling like it was a curio.

well thats enough thread crapping in my own thread...

19. Matty

Matty Forum Resident

I have no problem with someone not liking Christgau -- I happen to be a fan, but there's no denying that he IS pretentious, and obviously his tastes aren't going to align with everyone's (they certainly don't with mine, though they do overlap). But I think all Christgau was trying to say with that satori crack is that Van named his album "Enlightenment," as if he was making some Big Statement about the Meaning of Life, and then when you listen to the song Van simply tells us that he doesn't know what enlightenment is. I wouldn't call that perverse, exactly, but I see Christgau's point.

FWIW, I just checked his Van reviews on his web site he's given nine Van albums a rating of A- or better (Moondance got an A+), so he's definitely not hostile to Mr. Morrison.

20. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

It ain't about his ratings, it's always in his narrative. He gave King Crimson's "Red" a B+ too, but he had to write a review that made it obvious that it really pained him to admit that it was pretty good work for a bunch of bloated old prog hippies. Crisco is full of himself. And it's all greasy and white in there.

Tim

21. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

+1 on this. When you assign a reviewer who is highly unlikely to understand or appreciate the art being reviewed, it immediately ceases to be about the art and becomes instead, about the "criticism."

Literary masturbation.

I rarely read the stuff, myself. I find the multiple perspectives one gets from an interactive discussion much more useful than supposed expert opinion.

Tim

22. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.