"ICE" readers - help on Sinatra info

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I've dug through my (minimal) collection of ICE magazines from the 80s, and I don't have the right issue for this.

In January of 1987, Capitol Records released its first batch of classic Frank Sinatra albums on CD. All four CDs were 15-track releases, even though the LPs had 15 tracks (SONGS FOR SWINGING LOVERS), 12 tracks (CLOSE TO YOU and SINATRA'S SWINGIN' SESSION), and 16 tracks (one track was deleted for IN THE WEE SMALL HOURS). I remember reading (in ICE, I think) that the track number was limited to 15 due to contractual limits (or something like that). Anybody else remember reading this? Can you provide a specific article, info, etc.? :confused:

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hi Matt,
    I have the issue of ICE you are referring to and yes, you did read there.

ICE Issue #14 May 1988.

Cover Page

Article title...

More Sinatra Bonuses Planned By Capitol

from page 4...excerpt,

Back amongst the first wave of Sinatra CD reissues in late 1986, Capitol rasied the ire of some fans by actually removing a track from one of Sinatra's most famous "concept" albums, In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning, for the CD issue. The album has 16 tracks, but at the time Capitol had a 15 limit track for CD's, period. Welding fought for making an exception to the rule, but to no avail. so something had to come off. "the reason we chose to remove 'Last Night When We Were Young' is because it was actually drawn from an earlier recording session; it was the only track not recorded at the Wee Small Hours sessions, "Welding, said ruefully. That rule has since been changed and once current supplies are exhausted, the CD will be revised to include the missing track.

jpreza, Bob F and Wata like this.
  3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Michael -- you are my new best friend! THANK YOU for digging that up. It proves (temporarily) that my memory can at times still be accurate.

Thanks,
    Matt

McLover likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Your welcome...

5. Never knew that. Glad I waited to to buy the 1991 version.

6. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

Didn't Capitol release the 25 track Beach Boys CD Made in U.S.A. before In The Wee Small Hours Of The Morning ?

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Yes. The catalog no. of Made In The USA was 46324 (issued in 1986). Wee Small Hours abridged version was 46571 (a year later).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.