Thick as a Brick newspaper album cover

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Danny, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny

Danny Forum Resident Thread Starter

Believe it or not, I just perused this thing for the first time today. It's obviously loaded with inside Tull jokes. I picked up on the parody of local newspapers and the general Monty Pythonish nature of some of the notes. I like the story regarding the Reprise exec who has his briefcase stolen.

What are your thoughts on this cover? What are some of the inside jokes? Is the cover the same on the UK version as it is in the US?

2. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

My mother took my copy of the lp because of the girl lifting her dress. I got it back a few days later, though.

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The original US version had Reprise Records "information" on the back cover, while the UK one was about the "butterfly rampant" Chrysalis logo. They were also folded differently.

4. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

The very reason why I hate Cds. God I miss covers like this. Way back in high school I was on the debate squard and my teacher not having a clue took my word for it when I used this "newspaper" as a source of facts. lol The class got it but she did not get the joke.

5. Danny

Danny Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, I'm kind of crapping in my own thread here, but....

My teenage son has just started pulling records out of my collection and listening to them last week over spring break. He's basically an iPod/MP3 kid like most teenagers, doesn't even use CDs really. He was listening to Imagine on vinyl yesterday and was asking me about the title of one of the songs. I just handed him the cover and liner notes and said "this is one of the best parts of listening to a record".

It was kind of a thrilling watching him pull out records and listen to them. Meanwhile my younger son ( 8 years old) helps me use the VPI and basically knows how to clean records on his own. So I can kick the bucket anytime now and just leave the collection to them.

6. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

:whistle: What's this thread about? UFO sighting?

Good link for the pages of the LP cover mock newspaper.
    http://www.orthogonal.com.au/music/taab/index.htm
    Thick As A Brick tour was my first introduction to the mighty Tull.
    The newspaper cover was handed out on Yonge St. (Toronto) the day of the concert.
    Maple Leaf Gardens below I believe.

7. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Now that IS funny... I take it that whilst it was confiscated she didn't bother to read the controlversial "poems" lyrics, at least to the "your sperms in the gutter, you're loves in the sink"... bit??? Reminds me of Almost Famous's S&G!
    :shh: :righton: :D :eek: :shh:

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Got what back? :angel: :D

9. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I love the TV and radio listings. Completely out of control and obscure.

10. BFrank

BFrank Forum Resident

I think I read every single word in it when it was released.

11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Of course when the CD remaster was released I assumed the whole thing was reprinted. Now that I've learned here that it wasn't, I'll have to hunt down the original LP one of these days.

Got really excited when I came across this album in the store the other day, but my smile quickly diminished when I realized it was a later pressing without the newspaper.

12. mrbillswildride

There is at least one, I think two Cd versions out there that reprint the newspaper in miniature, not nearly as fun to read whilst squinting...

And the original US Reprise covers are not that hard to find~yet, I see them once in a while, usually a bit dig-eared, for a fiver or less, a mint one maybe 10 bucks... I think I have a few...

Would all newspaper covers be first pressings and of equal sound quality, or is there a dead wax clue as to the best US Reprise pressing? Anyone?

13. Larry Geller

I have a 1st pressing UK Chrysalis that slays any Reprise copy.

14. mrbillswildride

I 'think' I do too, but I mostly play my MFSL vinyl if I'm playing it on Lp...

One of my happiest days was discovering one UK pressing of LITP in a stack of 30 US copes of LITP, easy to spot, not nearly as thick on the spine, but oh so much better on the ears...

15. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Try to find the Japanese mini-LP sleeve edition! It's got really sweet packaging, an exact replica (miniaturized of course) of the newspaper album cover. Granted, you'll need a magnifiying glass to read it...but stilll very cool.

16. bumper

bumper Forum Resident

Some of my favorite bits were in the crossword puzzle.

31 across: 23 Down in reverse.
    23 down: The reverse of 31 Across.

17. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

The 1997 EMI100 box Brick25 has a decent sized newspaper (UK version) and OK mastering too.

Siegmund likes this.
  18. Larry Geller

Best CD version for sound AND packaging!:righton:

Siegmund likes this.
  19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Me too.. and I did the "connect the dots" :uhhuh:

20. mrbillswildride

REALLY? Better than the MOFI? :shake: :agree: :confused:

21. Larry Geller

Absolutely. Had the Mo-Fi. Got rid of it. Whereas the 40th Anniversary Aqualung was a total turd, they didn't make the same mistake with the 40th Anniversary TAAB. It is just fine.

22. mrbillswildride

you mean 25th, I presume... Glad I kept a sealed copy then... :righton:

23. Larry Geller

Yes. Brain lock.

24. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I've got that, too. Very nice package. AFAIK, the Japanese mini-LP edition uses the same mastering as the 25th Anniversary TAAB.

25. kick it AFTER the next Warner's/Hoffman vinyl ships.... "Mudslide Slim" is said to be great.....also, hold out till after "Moondance" if you can....:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.