35DP-4 on eBay ( Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here )

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by darkmatter, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I take you drew the line at 1800 :laugh:

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Wow, €1,900 (about $3,017 or £1,525) with just over a day to go... :eek: And the reserve price has not even been met...

4. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The reserve price is 2,000.00 Euros :eek:

In case anyone is planning to snipe this, my high bid is 1,900.00 Euros, so go over 2,000.00 euros and it's yours! ;)

5. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

It is amazing to me how high the price has gone for this. On the negative side, such high prices prevent the average collector from having a chance to hear this wonderful CD. On the positive side, when something like this sells on eBay for such an astronomical price, it tends to bring more copies out of the woodwork. Other people who own one of these see the price this one sold for and decide to sell. Which in turn brings the price down a bit.

As for this auction, congratulations to the seller who reaps a windfall, and congratulations to the buyer who gets a mint copy of a classic.

Vernon Fitch
    www.PinkFloydArchives.com home of The Pink Floyd Discography Page

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The price is for the obi, which is very rare. I've seen only two in 10 years of buying used CD's in Japan, one in a used store (which I did not buy and is my biggest collecting gaffe) and one in a recent auction of a sealed 35DP-4 which was withdrawn.

I can't even begin to imagine what the sealed one is worth.

I suspect that there are more out there (in the Pink Floyd collecting community), but I don't expect those to see the light of day.

7. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

..in case the colors fade :sigh: unlike this one :confused:

8. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I will almost guarantee that the buyers putting in these bids at this price now are not interested in sound quality per se. They can pay a lot less if all they are concerned about is getting the 35DP-4 mastering.

These guys are mostly a completely different breed of collector to the type of folks you seen on this forum.

They are collectors of Floyd memorabilia (who may have been collecting for thirty odd years) who simply need this obi to complete a collection. Nothing more than that.

This thread needs merging with the other one.

9. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

If the most fanatic Floyd collectors in the world are bidding on this then I believe the final price will go far beyond the reserve.

Just a hunch. :)

10. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

I think anybody with an ounce of sense will steer well away from this auction, there something definitely rotten in Denmark :crazy:

11. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

In the state of Denmark. :)

Or Italy... ;)

12. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

we could change uncle Claudius to uncle Claudini :D

13. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

lol

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I would just buy the Mastersound personally which sounds awesome but I can understand the collectability here. Still upwards of $4K is a bit insane if you ask me.

15. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

Not true. I'm on this forum! lol

You are correct about why people pay such high prices to buy these things. They are bought for investment and to complete a collection, not always to listen to.

Vernon Fitch
    www.PinkFloydArchives.com home of The Pink Floyd Discographies Page

16. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

A weird thought occurred to me last night which is in some ways inspired by this disc.

Imagine the collector who final bags this. He puts it in with all the other first pressings he has collected over a lifetime. All those copies with their Hako Obis carefully sealed up to avoid the ravages of time.

Fast forward many years into the future.

A teenage girl brings some guy home. They have a pleasant meal and she gives him a tour of the house. He pauses by the stereo and looks at all the neatly arranged discs. He picks out one with a blue slip of paper wrapped around it.

Him: "Hey, neat cover."

Her: "Oh yeah. My Dad used to collect stuff like that. Do you want it?"

Him: "No way. Those things died out years ago. Probably couldn't give it away"

:)

17. phish

phish Jack Your Body

thread title is not clear, to me anyway.

18. I'm laughing at this but with a really sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach, probably because I know you are right :) :(

-s1mon-

19. rburly

Yeah, I was going to bid on the CD w/Obi thinking it would go in the $1000-2000 range. When I found out it was over $3100, that's out of my range right now. I do hope that if someone gets it that it's someone from here! :righton:

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

That's what is so ridiculous about this auction - the item is not even mint!

21. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

22. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

The story continues:

The guy then has a brainstorm, and tells his girlfriend, "Let's record the music to my SuperDuper IPOD and see if we can sell the discs to the local pawnshop." So they grab three CDS, the WYWH, TFC, and DSOTM CDs (all original Japanese issues with obis) and spend an enjoyable afternoon copying the music onto their SuperDuper IPODs.

They then go off to the local pawn shop, where they sell the three discs for $5 each (inflation, you know), and proceed to have a wonderful dinner together with the money. As the guy munches on his Big Mac, he tells the girl, isn't it great we got a free meal with your dads old things?

Meanwhile, back at the pawnshop, the pawnshop owner puts the three discs on eBay and buys himself a new car with the proceeds . . .

Ain't life grand?

23. rburly

Keeping in mind that this guy is Italian, I asked him where he got it and his response was "I got it a few days ago".:sigh:

He did agree to take Paypal, so "You have that assurance" he told me.

I asked a seller that he had bought from and the guy said "Other than taking a couple days to make his payment, I'd think he's OK".

He's only been a member of eBay for a few years, but somehow he knows the value of what he's selling. Again, outside my range just for the obi, but for some people I guess not.

24. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

How does the fact that he's Italian factor in?

25. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

lol. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.