35DP-4 on eBay ( Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here )

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by darkmatter, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

I always thought a reserve price could be lowered? I've lowered reserve prices in the past but I can't remember if the items had bids or not.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not once a bid has been placed. I tried with one of my reserve price auctions, but couldn't.

3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I thought once bids were made the Reserve couldn't be lowered. Well, at least it wasn't with this one.

4. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

So, this means that the OBI is worth about $2,300? The CD alone usually goes for under $700. The OBI doesn't sound that good. ;)

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Even though it's a first pressing? :winkgrin:

6. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Mark,
    Hans is correct, once bids are accepted then you can't amend the listing price/BIN/Post costs/reserve etc.

To be clear here, reserves are always problematical because in order for you to buy/win the cd, there really has to be another bidder for you to bid against..otherwise I could have put a bid of €100000 in and it still wouldn't have reached his reserve.(if the other bids were at €400)-all that happens is you get a message saying "you are the highest bidder..but the reserve price hasn't been met", because I may be the higher bidder but its only €400 plus 5 or 10.

It is only when someone else bids upto the reserve, that my bid has any legitimacy and becomes valid at their highest bid plus a bit.

When that happens you get a message "You are the highest bidder and the reserve has been met"

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not quite - one bid equalling or exceeding the reserve price suffices.

8. rburly

Is that right, Darren? If you bid past the Reserve, wouldn't it take that amount? Or does it automatically go to the lowest set price and ONLY if someone else bids then it goes up? If so, some people can screw themselves (as in this case) with bids too high.

EDIT: Thanks Hans!

9. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Here's the eBay policy:

You may lower the reserve price on an item in any category as many times as you like, as long as the reserve price has not been met and there are at least 12 hours left on the listing. When a reserve price has been lowered, all bidders are automatically notified by email.

10. The Great One

if your bid meets the reserve price, the 'reserve not met' will disappear and you will be the highest bidder.

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Right.

12. The Great One

I had a feeling that was the case :righton:

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

They must have changed it since my reserve price auction I unsuccessfully tried to modify more than 12 hours before it ended. Fortunately the item did sell at the end...

14. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

What else is new-I can't even search currently with this new bloody system they are trialing!

well I've seen it happen BOTH ways..(I am not an expert because I don't bid a lot on reserve items)..but the first time it said "highest bidder, but reserve not met"..however, as Hans points out recently I did bid on one where it said highest bidder and reserve has been met"..so maybe Hans is right..

In that case Hans, do you pay the reserve price to win if you are the only bidder?

Anyway......now you can see why we didn't go over the reserve :winkgrin:

15. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Here's the second chance offer policy for reserve auctions:

If your Reserve Price was not met and there was at least one bidder, the seller can extend a Second Chance Offer to any of the non-winning bidders. The Second Chance Offer price will be equal to the non-winning bidder's last showing bid amount on the View Item (or the Bid History page).

For example, a seller had a listing that ended at $75.31 and the reserve price was not met. The listing had three bidders. Bidder A had a final displayed bid of $75.31, but may have bid a higher maximum amount. Bidder B had a displayed bid of $74.25. Bidder C had a displayed bid of $68.99. If the seller sent a Second Chance Offer to Bidder A, the Buy It Now price offer to that bidder would be $75.31. If the seller sent a Second Chance Offer to Bidder B, the Buy It Now price would be $74.25.

16. The Great One

yes!

yours

the invisible ******* man!

17. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Yeah, I haven't had a reserve item in a long time but when I did I could not change the reserve.

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yep.

19. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Yes, if you bid the reserve and no one else bids that's it. If you are high bidder and don't meet the reserve and you get a second chance offer you only pay your high bid.

20. The Great One

edited .... whats the point!

21. rburly

Yeah, we'll start another one when he puts it back up again!

22. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

well I just got my 2nd chance offer....I guess you too Rick?

23. rburly

Nope. Not here!

24. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Gonna buy it then ;) :angel:

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Unless they've changed those rules too, a second-chance offer can be made to one person only, the second-highest bidder. If two or more bidders bid the same amount, the earlier/earliest bid goes first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.