35DP-4 on eBay ( Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here )

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by darkmatter, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

:rolleyes: if it had been $2000(not €) reserve I might have considered it..but realistically it's just too expensive for me (and even though, we know the cd is genuine, thanks to Fumi, we have no such info on the seller).

Rick might though..;)

The seller is saying he will re-list it immediately..but he didn't say he had dropped the reserve to $500 :sigh: :winkgrin:

2. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Incidentally...just been contacted by the seller. The final cut was reserved at €1200 for the 35DP and €600 for the 32DP..kind of expensive

3. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

4. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

re-listed unless one of the top two bidders decide to take up the 2nd chance offer at €1900. Rick?

5. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

All this big money has made me realize that I'm a small fish in the pond when it comes to collecting Pink Floyd stuff.

I'd still like that hako obi though. ;)

6. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

You never did tell us the name of the lady in your avatar fumi.....beautiful :)

7. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

BIN on The Final Cut is £957? You have got to be joking.
    The exact same copy went for just over £400 last November.

:sigh:

8. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Jarah Mariano

9. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Thank You !

What were we talking about again :)

10. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

:laugh:

11. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

12. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

Lets see what our knowledgeable ebay panel think :laugh:

13. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

When I told him he had the Reserve too high, I gave him a great offer (to us), just in case he didn't sell it. I haven't heard back from him. He has my offer.

I have a feeling he wants to sell it for 2000 euros.

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Why are reserve amounts private? Shouldn't there be some transparency to be fair to the buyers?

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I am a longtime collector, and I've been known to spend a few bucks on early pressings, but this whole 35DP 4 thing has gotten out of control. It's ridiculous. I thought $700 without the OBI strip was madness, but add a piece of paper, and $2991.36 doesn't meet the reserve? Sorry, but this is plain stupid.

16. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Sadly no, that's the point of a reserve auction love them or hate them. Most bidders hate them for this reason. The only rights bidders have in any auction is the right to bid what they are willing to pay. In real auctions bidders may not even know that there is a reserve price so at least eBay makes it clear.

To your point, I don't agree with the way many sellers (including this one) use reserve prices. It appears that this seller used the reserve to manipulate the perception of the value of the item which is appalling. However, when reserves are used correctly it's suppose to protect sellers from losing large amounts of money on valuable items in a bad market.

If this were a real auction that item would be sold because the final price was very close to the reserve. Generally within 10% is very good. This auction was completely bogus.

17. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I agree. I think because the seller was forced to pay a lot for them in the first place - he thought that he could sell them for that much more.

I just hope whoever does finally get it is happy with what they receive.
    A lot of us on this forum REALLY love Japanese Pink Floyd First Pressings but one has to keep things in perspective.

Me? I already have both the J for J and the J for USA. I'll take my chances looking for the Hako Obi copy in Japan. It will obviously take many years but I'm a firm believer that if you work hard at something - eventually good things come your way.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

This is my thinking. While it may create some protection for sellers, it can waste the time of a buyer. They can be bidding in an area where the reserve is never met if the seller puts in an unrealistically high reserve.

19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

regarding ebay, i always bid only what i'm willing to pay. the fact that an item has a reserve on it only tells me that i may not want the item as bad as i think i do.

20. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I always ask for the reserve price and if the seller is too secretive I avoid the item. Not worth trying to search out that reserve price. One bid at my high price and that's usually all for me.

What a lot of sellers don't understand is that starting an item like that at $1 will attract many more impulsive people - sometimes. Reserves are only good for items where they are so valuable that impulse isn't really the issue.

To be fair to the guy if he paid a lot for the item then he's just trying to get some profit.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, it's pretty obvious that we have moved out of the audiophile realm and into collectible territory. And, as we all know, there is no ceiling on very rare items (and let's face it, that obi is so rare that no one on this crazy forum seems to own one, or do they?).

Heck, think about a first state stereo butcher for $30,000. You can get a professionally peeled stereo butcher for less than $3000. Is that absence of slight glue residue worth $27,000?

22. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff Thread Starter

I gave up my search for this CD online ages ago :shake: but guess I still have a vain hope of finding one elsewhere someday. My ceiling for a single CD is $200 which I feel requires soul searching sometimes.

23. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Rick, have you heard from the seller yet?

24. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

..never give up, Fumi got 2 different copies for less than $15...you need to be vigilant and search 24/7..but they are out there (the japan for USA seems easier to find-go for that) The most near mint copy I have was $75 and is in the original smooth sided case.

25. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Wow. It's still there. Wonder why he hasn't sold it yet?
    The offers cannot be that far below the reserve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.