Kate Bush "The Kick Inside" - Japanese PASTMASTERS CD - best version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by apesmu, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

So how exactly does the CP35 sound better than the CP21?

2. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

I don't get involved in all that technical carry on :shake: but I think the CP35 has a warmer/richer sound and there seems to be more "air" around the vocals. This said the CP21 and the WG pressing are no slouches :)
    I think the Mini LP CD is probably the Brightest of the bunch.

kiddo4 likes this.
  3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I don't have any CP35's duplicated with the CP21's so I can't even give a general "opinion" or guess.

But I have some CP21's (Past Masters) and they don't seem to be quite as good as my CP35's. I don't know if that holds true in this case.

I do have a CP21 duplicated with a DCC Gold disc, however. But I've never compared the two (the DCC is still sealed.)

4. The Great One

I think all the CP21 past masters I have heard sound very good and in many cases are the best pressing of a particular album. A good example being the U.F.O series ..... Excellent!

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Interesting to know!

I certainly agree with the "very good" opinion (the one's I've heard are excellent!) but I did not realize that they could also be a "best pressing" too! Thanks!

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I have the CP35, CP21, and the Japan 3rd pressing TOCP, as well as the UK and USA. If I can remember, I will run an EAC for them all tomorrow.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Now, that's a fan! :righton:

I got rid of my extra copies as I have no more shelf space. :cry:

Do you remember which one you prefer?

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Keith,

What is the full matrix of your WG Kate?

Simon

9. darkmatter

Like you I have multiple versions of this album, interestingly the only one I do not posses is the CP21, I will have to look one out.
    I will look forward to seeing your measurements, the WG should measure quite well, I have an 02 matrix but am looking for an 2893 169 01!!; I really like the CP35, of the two CP35's I have I find the 1A1 to be the best :)

Simon

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That CP21 is a beauty, literally. :love:

The Pastmasters cover doesn't have the "compact disc" logo on it like the CP35 does, obscuring Kate's finer parts. :angel:

11. The Great One

12. darkmatter

I need to go and find a cold beer!!

13. The Great One

It's a cold shower for me :D

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

There's no way she could actually dance in that thing without umm..."losing herself" is there? Am I the only one who thinks that leotard is a couple sizes too small for Kate? ;)

15. The Great One

No doubt it was David Gilmours idea .... thats it! up a bit! down a bit! ... Perfect Kate :righton: :D

New Avatar anyone?

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Okay, I just tested both of these yesterday on EAC and they share the same mastering. Exact same values.

MLutthans likes this.
  17. O.k., thanks a lot.

Do you also have the UK/WG EMI version? Does it also share the same mastering?

Or, if you don't have the WG/UK version, if you list the peak levels of the first/second Japanese pressing, I could list the ones from the UK/WG version.

That doesn't mean that there are/cannot be any sonic differences between these different pressings...

18. These are the peak levels of my UK version (no UPC on the back inlay):

Track 1
    Spitzenpegel 93.4 %
    Test CRC 952EC3B0

Track 2
    Spitzenpegel 95.1 %
    Test CRC 364D9CB5

Track 3
    Spitzenpegel 81.9 %
    Test CRC B5BAA54A

Track 4
    Spitzenpegel 100.0 %
    Test CRC 3D6AC7A5

Track 5
    Spitzenpegel 71.3 %
    Test CRC E7C5CD01

Track 6
    Spitzenpegel 88.1 %
    Test CRC C67EAD06

Track 7
    Spitzenpegel 78.4 %
    Test CRC AFFB8695

Track 8
    Spitzenpegel 51.6 %
    Test CRC E99C2943

Track 9
    Spitzenpegel 90.4 %
    Test CRC E00F257E

Track 10
    Spitzenpegel 100.0 %
    Test CRC 37378236

Track 11
    Spitzenpegel 83.8 %
    Test CRC 62BCDF7B

Track 12
    Spitzenpegel 83.2 %
    Test CRC 6A5475D5

Track 13
    Spitzenpegel 52.1 %
    Test CRC C2E65A53

19. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I could put my hands on a CD-R of 2005's Japanese pressing of The Dreaming (Toshiba TOCP-67818). I was very curious to check if there was a real difference (apart from peak levels) with my Canadian copy (from the boxset).

Well they do sound pretty different. The Japanese is louder, but it has also pretty different EQ choices, that seems to bring out the voice better. Miss Bush mixes tend to be very thick on that album; the Japanese seems to breathe more (but I am cautious saying that, since I am listening to it on my computer - Rogers speakers, but SoundBlaster Live source).

On There Goes A Tenner:
    Audition's amplitude analysis indicates 20.12 dB for the Japanese (peak-average), 18.88 dB for the Canadian.

Frequency analysis... look for yourself... the green lines are for the Canadian copy...

Do those 2005 differ from the first Japanese pressings, I don't think I've read any answer to that question.

Attached Files:

20. Lazlo Nibble

Lazlo Nibble Forum Resident

Here are the peaks for the first JP version (EMI CP35-3045; matrix CP35-3045-5 1A1; "black triangle" label):

Code:
     1 - Peak level 82.3 %
     2 - Peak level 83.7 %
     3 - Peak level 70.7 %
     4 - Peak level 83.1 %
     5 - Peak level 61.9 %
     6 - Peak level 75.7 %
     7 - Peak level 74.6 %
     8 - Peak level 44.4 %
     9 - Peak level 83.1 %
    10 - Peak level 80.4 %
    11 - Peak level 71.7 %
    12 - Peak level 75.2 %
    13 - Peak level 46.0 %

21. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I would really love samples posted from a few versions of TKI.

Basically, despite what allmusic intimates, I've never actually encountered any pre-Sensual Kate Bush discs that differ from any others. For example, my black triangle Lionheart matches exactly my stock EMI Manhattan copy, and also matches what purports to be a rip of the standard UK CD. My stock US EMI Manhattan "The Dreaming" matches a stock UK copy. And so on.

(It seems, FWIW, that EMI was way ahead of the curve insofar as digital distribution of CD masters was concerned in the 1980s, so I wouldn't be shocked to learn that the Kate Bush CDs worldwide were digitally identical from day 1, barring the glitch that shows up in some UK copies of Lionheart)

While I appreciate that peak values of the new, mini-LP CDs may differ, I'm very curious to see whether or not they simply have been volume tweaked or dynamically altered.

-D

ggggreenisaac likes this.
  22. fredhammersmith

Here you go then...

First, a small excerpt from The Dreaming (EMI E2 46361, Canadian box-set)
    normalized at -3 dB
    then the same small section from the Japanese mini-LP (TOCP-67818),
    also normalized at -3 dB.

If you would like to hear a collage from another song or section, I am willing to do it.

Being the huge Kate Bush's fan that I am, I am very curious to read your feed-back.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/590536321/a642be0185377 dc220fa1e71714606df

(hey! I am a senior member now. When did that happen? When do I get my watch?)

23. fredhammersmith

... but comparing my Canadian Houds Of Love with a CD-R of the 2005's Japanese? They are identical (once normalized)...

24. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have the Japanese Never For Ever, TOCP-67817. Do you know if this is the same mastering as..... whatever?

I listened to a few minutes of it. It was so bright (and disappointing) that I regret buying it!

25. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Interesting. Seems like some processing's been run on the thing; the peaks don't exactly match, so it was hard to get them running in sync. I got them close, though, and observed what seemed to be no drift, so it's possible that these are in fact from the same digital transfer. It would be easiest, however, to run this experiment on a longer section of file.

-D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.