Van Morrison - Album by Album discussion - PART THREE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

hello..

2. DJ WILBUR

earth to Tom....

3. DJ WILBUR

cheers..I thought he'd post his latest thoughts after revisiting after our lovefest.

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I'm so pleased you're waiting for my re-assessment, Mr. DJ. I must confess I tried to listen on the phones as I was going to bed last night and I fell asleep midway through "In The Midnight" :o I'll have to try again at an earlier hour :cool:

And I share Tom's surprise that "doodyhead" made it past the gorts. On the other hand, if it had been censored I might've thought Tim was calling me something much worse :D

5. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Once again you have outwitted me, sir. It's a fair cop: you're right.

I guess I was under the impression our pal curbach had re-listened to it because his criticisms seemed so painfully acute:
    "boring to annoying", "smarminess," "swill", "ugh" et cetera.:laugh:

I missed the part about needing to re-listen. My apologies, sir.

6. Clarkophile

You mean there are worse cuss words than "doody"?

7. DJ WILBUR

i'm going to leave this thread permanently if you c***s cant keep your language green.....

8. curbach

We are easily entertained aren't we? I haven't seen any other album-by-album threads littered with this much sideshow banter :whistle:

9. Clarkophile

Maybe not A-by-A threads, per se, but the vast majority of the 750,000+ posts in the Memory Almost Full thread consisted of nothing more than:

:righton: :love:

10. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

OK,besides the potty-mouthed humor (witche's tit I love :shh: ) that avatar of Paul Weller is REALLY freaking me out... :sigh:

And on the Van front...:shake:

:cheers:

11. DJ WILBUR

well we cant have your sensibilities freaked...how does this suit? I felt it was clashing with Tom's old Gene avatar anyway....

12. DJ WILBUR

my fault entirely. I have been anticipating your latest musings on the current slab. might have mis-understood you. The heat in harlem and all....

13. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Ah that's much better... though she kind of reminds me of...

What happened to your Van icon loyalty... Keep It Simple off the turntable?

(For the record I love Wildwood, bought the vinyl a few years back AND the recent deluxe edtion Cds...)

:cheers:

14. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I thought Curbach would be Pouring It All Out by now, but all I hear is a Howlin Wind. Between You and Me I think he may be suffering from Mercury Poisoning, that is why he is not reviewing Back On Top.

15. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

DJ Wilbur I'm sure Van would tell Curbach "I should have been there to inspire you" with some Heavy Soul.

(Tom you're lucky I don't know much about Gene Clark and the Byrds.)

16. curbach

You see it's not really your fault at all, Mr. DJ. What's a poor moderator to do? :laugh:

17. DJ WILBUR

we will move on then.

Next up "The Skiffle Sessions - Live in Belfast"...

It Takes a Worried Man (3:39)
    Lost John (3:33)
    Going Home (3:08)
    Good Morning Blues (2:52)
    Outskirts Of Town (4:21)
    Don't You Rock Me Daddio (1:52)
    Alabamy Bound (2:22)
    Midnight Special (2:54)
    Dead Or Alive (2:34)
    Frankie & Johnny (4:31)
    Goodnight Irene (2:46)
    Railroad Bill (1:58)
    Muleskinner Blues (3:06)
    The Ballad of Jesse James (3:08)
    I Wanna Go Home (3:45)

It's a nice twee little homage to his love of Skiffle. I had the bootleg before the official release, I think sourced from a radio broadcast. Skiffle, a style of music I never quite got. I still don't.

as the recently revived Van The Man website states....

In a quick summary - All short songs (so no chance of getting bored with 'em) They've done a nice job on the vocals, clear and crisp (well it is a Commercial album now). Oh yes -- THOROUGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Attached Files:

• van.jpg
      van.jpg
      File size:
      55.9 KB
      Views:
  18. DJ WILBUR

Skiffle Session review from All Music website

Review by Stephen Thomas Erlewine
    Van Morrison probably chose to give a pair of skiffle concerts in November, 1998 not because he was nostalgic, but because he has genuine love for this music. At least, that's the impression The Skiffle Sessions gives. It's a cheerfully old-fashioned yet curiously fresh album. By skipping "Rock Island Line," the style's best-known tune, and emphasizing the music's foundation in American folk, blues, and jazz, they wind up revitalizing skiffle while paying homage to it. Yes, this may be corny at times, yet it's a clever, diverse record. They delve into blues, letting Barber have a Dixieland trombone solo on "Frankie and Johnny," invite Dr. John to play some New Orleans on "Goin' Home" and "Good Morning Blues," haul out Jimmie Rodgers' "Muleskinner Blues" and Leadbelly's "Goodnight Irene," paying tribute to both country and folk. Only "Don't You Rock Me Daddio" fits the clichés of skiffle, and here it's only one side of a rich, generous collection of roots music. Some might say that this multifaceted approach to skiffle is revisionism, but it isn't; skiffle itself was a hybrid, drawing from all sorts of American roots music but given an endearing twist by idealist British musicians, who loved the American myth as much as the music. The Skiffle Sessions captures this love of myth and music, while being a hell of a good listen. Morrison's career has been idiosyncratic and unpredictable, but nothing has been quite as surprising as this. Really, there's no reason why a skiffle album released in 2000 should be as irresistible as this, but Morrison, Donegan, and Barber bring such heart and love to this music that it's hard not to be charmed.

19. Clarkophile

I could easily rectify that unfortunate oversight, sir.:wave:

20. DJ WILBUR

Personnel on The Skiffle Sessions:

Van Morrison - vocal, acoustic guitar
    Lonnie Donegan - vocal, acoustic guitar
    Chris Barber - vocal, trombone, double bass
    Paul Henry, Big Jim Sullivan - acoustic guitar
    Nick Payne - harmonica, saxophone, background vocal
    Dr. John - piano
    Nicky Scott, Chris Hunt - electric bass
    Alan "Sticky" Wicket - washboard, percussion

from wiki: Recorded on November 20 and 21, 1998, at Whitla Hall, Belfast, Northern Ireland. In 1977, Morrison had discussed recording an album of skiffle music with Dr. John. "because I started off in a skiffle group and there must be millions of other musicians who also began their careers playing that kind of music....." In preparation for this recording, he went to see Donegan perform and invited him to dinner and after a second meeting they arranged to record the sessions live

21. Clarkophile

Hey, I didn't know Dr. John was involved with this.

22. DJ WILBUR

it doesnt make it any better for me. He certainly didn't help A Period of Transition memorable for moi....

23. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

His contributions are not so obvious I guess. Still a fine album (for moi!).

24. DJ WILBUR

Period or Skiffle is fine for vous?

25. Clarkophile

Aw, geez, it figures---I gave this one a miss. Maybe I should look for a used copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.