Van Morrison - Album by Album discussion - PART THREE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

It's kind of fun. But Tom's earlier bull-in-a-china shop metaphor applies especially well here. Van's voice and presence completely dwarfs poor Lonnie Donnegan, and not necessarily to the music's benefit. I need to give this one a fresh listen before I say anything else. It's been awhile. . .

2. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Well I bought the cd a year ago cuz I heard it was out of print right before i spied a used copy... stiull haven't played it,... guess now is my chance...
    "skiffles alright Van, but you'll never make a living at it..." ) Ode to Lennon...

:cheers:

3. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

No wait!! I meant A Period of Transition.

4. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

ah, I thought you meant Period of Transition. I've tried and I've tried to "get" that album. I'm going to pull it out today since I haven't played it again since we'd covered that one. Maybe this time....

Tom, I'm sure you can stream at least sound samples of Skiffle online somewhere to get a feel for it. As its OOP and not scheduled to come out until the 4th set of remasters in Jan 09, so I read on wiki I think (so that date could be wrong), you might not find it cheap before hand. I dont think its worthy of paying a premium used price, many of his OOP's used prices are inflated. I also doubt this one moved many units, though I bet many who bought it, ditched it....:angel:

5. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

Getting doodyhead past the gorts required my best Ninja skills. Either that or they just recognized the Truth through their manifest gortliness. Are we on the Skiffle Sessions? I've never heard it. I have never even been tempted to buy it. Isn't Skiffle a candy of some kind? And what is with this Lonnie Donnegan/Georgie Fame stuff anyway? What? Van can't find friends with grown-up names?

I still think our Doodyhead needs to go back and listen to Back on Top with fresh ears. Don't listen for monumental Van. Listen for a great little R&B album with cool arrangements, wonderful sound, warm, snug, seriously in-the-groove playing and, of course, a consummate lead singer. That's all it is, but that's quite a bit. It's not Van's best work, but someone like...Delbert McClinton?...would love to make an album as good. Just once. Don't listen to it late at night on headphones. Put it on the speakers, crank it up and go clean the kitchen. I dare you not to shake your *** (I cock my head skywards to see Gorts, gathering their oppression over me like blackening clouds. I shake my fist defiantly! I raise one crooked finger to the Gorts!), though that image is quite disturbing, your shaking ***...

Just kidding about the Gorts, by the way. Nice people, I'm sure. They do us a great public service. Potty training must have been difficult. We need to be patient through their recovery...

Tim

6. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

Wilbur -- The new avatar -- is that Armand Asante on a bad hair day?

Tim

7. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

:laugh:

For a second there I thought the skiffle album was one of those hidden-gem/word-of-mouth cult records or something.
    Turns out it's really just a skiffle album then? Plain old washboard-and-acoustic guitar skiffle?

8. Clarkophile

Ouch! That's the Modfather, Paul Weller.

9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Like Tom I gave this one a pass. After How Long, and Tell Me Something I decided I didn't need another Van genre study. The completist part of me figured I would pick it up used cheap or as a cut out. So far I haven't had the chance. Maybe I will get it when the reissue comes out.

I do like the notion that Van wanted to repay some of his early idols. I hope Lonnie Donnegan got a few big checks and some better gigs out of it.
    (For the record PeterC, I too like Period of Transition)

10. DJ WILBUR

wow, I simply can't seem to please absolutely EVERYONE with my Weller Avatars of late.

I think the man is the coolest rock star around, always looks incredible, aging very well....compared especially to the thread topic herein.

11. DJ WILBUR

yes Tom, washboards and all. you HAD to be there I guess.

I'm intrigued Curbach likes this one somewhat, or at least found it fun so I look forward to his comments after re-listening to it, maybe his ruminations will sway me?

12. curbach

I'm intrigued, too ;) I passed it by at the time of release and picked it up used a couple of years ago with no expectations. I don't play it much, but I bear it no ill will. I've always been a sucker for "Goodnight Irene", although I wouldn't say Van's rendition here is one of my favorites--more bull-in-a-china shop stuff. He's just too aggressive in his delivery for the humble material and even more humble instrumental backing.

13. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

Hey, the Armand Asante comment was a compliment to Mr. Weller. He looks like a movie star!

Does look a bit like he gets his hair cut in a food processor, though.

Tim

14. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

Have you heard Kelly Joe Phelp's "Goodnight Irene?" Now that's a goodun.

Tim

15. curbach

Haven't heard that one, but I'll try to check out a sample. These days I'm partial to Ry Cooder's version. . .

16. DJ WILBUR

ah.....:D , I misunderstood.

17. mrbillswildride

OH Curb,

You gotta get yourself some KJPhelps... I discovered him through Martin Simpson and he is simply amazing... Try some ov his early Ryko stuff, like Zen Guitar or sum such title... He really is amazing, and if you dig your Rye bread, add some Kelly on top!!!

cheers,

PS: Not to bag on Willie's avatar issues of late, but I SWEAR, in this latest pix, Weller looks the spiting image of an old hippie family friedn (71) who is a lesbian living in the south of France... I **** you not.... Best of lucky willie...

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

18. DJ WILBUR

how illuminating.

19. mrbillswildride

Sorry DJ W, only a personal observation... Much prefer it to the scary bowie weller..., do hope you take it with a grain of salt and carry on... :righton:

20. mrbillswildride

Just reread your post....

I'd thought it said...

how humilliating...

much better now, took me meds...

:goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :cheers: :wave: :cheers: :goodie: :goodie: :goodie:

21. DJ WILBUR

"illuminating" was a play on your avatar bub. take a few more meds perhaps and all will be clear :nauga:

22. Clarkophile

So the skiffle craze isn't as all-consuming as it was during Lonnie Donegan's day, eh? Maybe we should move on over the weekend?
    Ugh, that means I lose again because I'm on deck for You Win Again.

23. DJ WILBUR

you're on "dreck" you mean....

24. DJ WILBUR

Van Morrison quotes:

As a developing musician, skiffle became a platform for me to start playing music.

I don't think nostalgia has to be negative.

Skiffle was a name that was attached to what was, in essence, American folk music with a beat.

Even today, skiffle is a defining part of my music. If I get the opportunity to just have a jam, skiffle is what I love to play.

25. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

Although these types of albums are by no means essential, I would rather have Van release them then miss out on hearing something that he genuinely enjoys performing. So this is Van playing with Lonnie Donegan and the results aren't as exciting as those with JL Hooker (perhaps his ultimate musical soulmate) but it gives us insight into his influences and musical lineage.

The album is enjoyable but slight. If it were a bootleg instead of an official release we would probably rate it higher....so I encourage these types of releases (as well as the next one) because it keeps us connected to the artist. They aren't for everybody - probably only of interest to those the hard core fans (which we of course are).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.