Neil Young announces upcoming 10 disc Archives release on Blu-ray Nov. 3, 2008*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musiclover56, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Ditto here.

2. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I am starting thinking about buying one now.

3. I have followed Neil Young since the Buffalo Springfield days thru his solo & CSN&Y, But no one I know has a blue-ray player nor do I . To pay close to $700-1,000 plus the box that will be around $200, just to hear these discs is insane. I don't think they can move more than a few hundred in this configuration.:cry:

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I've felt all along that Neil is greatly overestimating everyone's interest in the visual side of this thing. Don't we all really just want the music?

5. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

:agree:

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Right on. I'll have no problem passing this up. Especially in the terrible Michigan economy. Sorry, Neil. I'll stick with the crappy sounding versions of stuff he deemed worthy of release... and leave the expensive excellent sound-quality stuff he couldn't be bothered with.

7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

He did say on the webcast they can also be played on a PSP game player if that's any consolation.

8. protay5

protay5 Member

I'd be more excited if this was cassette only. All right, I'm getting old, but I wonder how long Blu-ray will stay around?

9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

right. i can't play blu-ray in the car. neil is following the anti-cd times we live in.. but he's totally lost the entire conveinence aspect of the iPod generation.

10. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Me too! :righton:

11. Xico

Xico Forum Resident

Well, I'll do the same - when these Archive discs are on sale. Before that, no way...

12. Claude

Claude Senior Member

If this is being released on Blu-ray only, it will be the first Blu-ray-only release ever (except for Blu-ray demo discs). No movie has been released on Blu-ray only.

Given that this was announced at a Java conference, I'd rather think Neil Young had to limit the announcement to Blu-ray discs. As an artist, would you accept to limit a release to a format that less than 5% of your fans can play?

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

+1

14. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

According to the press info this will be a 10 Blu-ray disc set using 192 Khz, 24-bit PCM for the audio and will come out this fall.

15. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Blu-Ray basically just put HD-DVD to pasture so I think it will be around for awhile. I got a Sony PS3 which plays Blue-ray. If you get tired of watching Neil you can pop in Call Of Duty and start shooting.

16. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

No sale here either. I am not interested in having to watch and listen. I know I'm getting old and becoming more of a laggard in the area of technology. But Neil needs to realize a lot of his fans are 50+ years old and not all of us are running out and buying plasma big screen TVs, Blu-Ray players, or xboxes. I think he will find that a lot of his fans will decide to pass on this collection - which is a shame. This may also turn out to be another nail in the record company's coffin as well.

17. Squealy

Did he actually say what the breakdown of the 10 discs is? (Can't watch it right now.)

18. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

so it's blu-ray only and not even a dvd-a option?

don't plan on buying this then. I'm all for great sounding audio, but conveninece IS a factor. I own DVD-As but I don't regularly play them either.

19. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

You can get a PS3, the most forward-upgradeable player, for $400. By Christmas I wouldn't be surprised to see standalones at $300. Still, it's a hefty investment for one catalog.

Mark

20. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

You can buy Blu-Ray players for much less than that. I'm sure there are lots of movies on Blu-Ray you would enjoy as well..

21. Squealy

The funny thing is, he still hasn't announced the date.

22. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

I actually don't think so, perhaps this is a new way of creating high-quality multimedia content that potentially involves the listener on many more levels rather than just dumping all the music onto CD's and making this only a linear experience. This could actually be an exciting proposition for the industry.

23. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Blu-Ray? No way!

24. street legal

street legal Senior Member

According to the link from the original poster, Neil is quoted as saying "this will only come out on BluRay & DVD. No CD's". Does this mean standard DVD's or DVD-A's?

I, as well, will no way in hell purchase a BluRay player *just* to enjoy Neil's archive series, even though I'm a huge fan & own all of his albums & DVD's. I almost always agree with Neil's line of thinking, but not this time.

With today's economy & high fuel prices, along with other increased costs of living, I just don't see this selling all that well at ALL to people who currently do not own a BR player. Hopefully, he'll re-think this through.

25. seg763

seg763 Forum Resident

This Notes for (java and) You! - Neil Young And The Blu-Rays

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.