Neil Young announces upcoming 10 disc Archives release on Blu-ray Nov. 3, 2008*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musiclover56, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Okay... so I have to buy a Blu-Ray player, and watch it on TV.... I have to have a TV to listen to the music? Multimedia is fine and all, but I don't want to have to deal with some cumbersome presentation with dozens of menus and so on. So, I guess we'll be figuring out how to extract audio from Blu-ray.

Personally, I think a Blu-ray player should come included with the Archives.

2. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

hehe I notice there's still no release date! Which at least means we can all wait awhile before we get the first inevitable "it doesn't sound as good as the vinyl, oh my lord its compressed-sounding" posts! :)
    Im very interested in this, if only as a possible sign post to where hi-rez music may be heading. I like the idea of presenting this as a complete archive rather than just an audio one. That being said, I still would prefer CD for the convenience aspect. Oh well, by the time this comes out theres bound to be plenty of software allowing us to rip the blu-ray to CD or a hard drive for portable players.

Steve

3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Are you sure? It seemed they had a much bigger catalog then HD.

No. But Neil is different then all.

4. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I have to think that if this box set tanks in terms of sales, the record companies will have some hard decisions to make about continuing down this path. But then again, when have the record companies ever listened to what their customers want?

5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Neil Young has flipped me the finger. I am ticked off(insert much stronger cursing), and feel Young does not want me as a fan or a customer.
    So be it.
    Ta Neil, hope you have to EAT those Blu Ray discs.

6. seg763

seg763 Forum Resident

neil said

"And here is something really new, we will be able to add content to already released Blu-ray Disc archive volumes by downloading it, whether it is music, film or vintage recording sessions, recently found photographs, or other archival materials that were located after the release of that volume. Users will be able to download any of these archival materials and they will automatically be assigned to their place in the Chronology timeline."

if my blu-ray player is part of my stereo system and not connected to the internet, how is downloading 'content' to my laptop going to be 'assigned to the Chronology timeline'?

even this guys confused

Attached Files:

7. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i feel a bit like JamieC here. It does feel like a bit of a finger. Either you can afford the new machinery and the sticker price of a 10 disc box or you're not going to be able to enjoy this.

with that said, I'm sure dumbed down 16 bit copies will be torrenting within days of its release, for those who can find them...so he's going to lose a certain segment of his sales base that way so it seems.

also as big a fan as I am of neil...making a 10 disc purchase and only getting into his catalog up to 1972, well as I'm not a huge Springfield fan, nor earlier Neil fan, I for one, would not be getting as big a chunk of his 70s catalog as I'd of hoped for Volume One of this box, if even I could play it, which I cant.

8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

If it really is a catastrophic sales disaster, I bet you CD editions will follow.

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Yeah I wondered what the heck that meant. So we not only need a Blu-ray player for this set, but we need Blu-ray burning capability too? It's not like you can burn additional data to an already finalized Blu-ray disc. Don't be confused.

10. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Yep, count me out too. I have no interest in buying a Blue-Ray player only to play this set. Shame, I've been looking forward to this for years . . .

11. DJ WILBUR

well this will depend on the Java underwriting of it. Surely they are involved to subsidize this so WB and Neil make a certain profit on this material.

12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

i predict this will tank terribly. as much as one can respect neil certainly thinking big and "outside the box," i think his plans are too grand for this. especially when he deemed certain recordings TOO GOOD for the archives. so what are we really getting here that is worth such effort? i'm really not as bumbed about not getting the archives as i thought i would be.

13. TWZ

TWZ Forum Resident

I agree. I have totaly lost interest in the archives the last year of so. And this
    Blu-Ray thing doesn't do it for me. No sale. Regular CDs and a nice booklet would be good enough for me.
    I want the music. Not some fancy java interactive NY archive computer game.

14. Xico

Xico Forum Resident

Just to confirm: didn't the news say Blu Ray AND DVD???

15. DJ WILBUR

i did not hear DVD myself.

16. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Yes it did, plus I can rent Blue-Ray discs from netflix and maybe get what I need/want without buying the whole set.

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I don't want to have to watch TV in order to listen to music.

18. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I watched the webcast and there was no talk of DVD although Neil has mentioned "Blu-Ray and DVD - no CD" in the past. But I really don't know if *he* knows what is going on.

Hey, Neil - DVD-audio, DVD-audio, DVD-audio! It's the future! [Yeah, great, let's do it]. Hey, Neil, Blu-ray, blu-ray, Java, java, java! And all the kids have PS3s!! DVD-audio is soooooo last decade. [Yeah, sure, let's do it]. etc. etc.

The sooner we all realise that new formats tumbling over each other is just a sign of either a) a dying market chasing its tail or b) a symptom of capitalism in its death throes or c) both the above, the better.

Stevie

19. 905

905 Senior Member

Bootleggers are doing a happy jig right now.
    Call me old fashioned, but I would like the music available on CDs.

20. Bill Sherbon

Bill Sherbon Forum Resident

Count me in for this, I bet it will sound great. I've just recently installed an inexpensive bluray rom drive in my living room htpc so I'm really looking forward to this hi def audio and video.

For those wondering about the downloads, bluray (profile 2 I think) includes capability of connecting to your internet/home network, and with the player's persistent storage the downloaded content doesn't need to be part of the disc itself.

21. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Sorry Neil...give me CD's and a booklet and I would have been in!

No sale here.

22. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

DVD isn't much better.. it just wouldn't require purchasing a new player for them. neil seems to think blu-ray technology makes the initial dream possible. DVD wouldn't.

23. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

There's plenty of time (with a release date no more specific than "the fall") for Neil and the label to reconsider not putting this stuff out on CD. When did we first hear about this===15 years ago?

Well---I bought a new TV and VCR for the Beatles Anthology----but this is a little different. I was planning to wait on BLURAY for a few more years. The cheapest option may be installing a BLU RAY-compatible drive in my computer and burning the music content on to cd........Neil is worth the effort---esp anything from 60s/70s.

24. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

The older we get, the weaker our eyes get. Is it just me or are "regular" DVD's good enough for some of you to enjoy as they are now quality-wise?
    The last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time in front of the TV as it is.
    Who really cares about Blu-Ray and how long before something else renders it obsolete??
    What next/gimme a break.

25. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Blu-ray only = no DVD version

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.