Any Serious Godfather fans out there?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MBERGHAU, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member Thread Starter

I just watched the entire trilogy this past weekend as the family was out of town and I had an entire weekend to myself. This is probably the 3rd time I've seen it and it gets better every time. Unfortunately for me it's tough to find the time to watch somehting that is so long.

I just love the characters and there are so many good one-liners. Anyone else have this attachment to the film. From the ambience of the movie, the classic cars, the suspense, etc. it is so good.

"Leave the gun, take the Canoli"
    "I'll give him an offer he can't refuse"

2. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

Don’t ask me about my business, Kay

Yeah. My favorite movies of all times.
    Very good actors too. And violence is not too much, as in many other mob movies.

I’m reading a very good book right now. It’s called Cosa Nostra: A History of the Sicilian Mafia by John Dickie.

Sonny
    I don’t want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hands, alright?
    (From imdb.com)

Paulette and LeahDeLeon like this.
  3. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

I think Al Pacino's performance in The Godfather II is the best performance ever committed to film. Some of the greatest films ever made.

4. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member Thread Starter

He wasn't too bad in Part I either. I love his whole transformation when he realizes that there is no turning back, he is now part of the "family business"

"It's not personal! It's business!"

5. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I've probably seen the first two a hundred times each. Once was enough for III.

Saint Johnny and Siegmund like this.
  6. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The highlight of Godfather III is watching Sophia Coppola getting shot. They couldn't get a better replacement for Winona Ryder?

a customer, Matthew Tate and Siegmund like this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Never seen any of them but I have the soundtrack to the first one.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I've seen II probably fourteen times, though not in some time now. I love how many times the sequence where his wife in Italy (Appolonia?) is blown up in the car has been stolen for other movies and TV shows. I've often wondered whether that plot point came from some other source.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I hear she knew the director, but that's just a rumor... ;)

Paulette likes this.
  10. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Part III is under-rated.

that's a low blow.

Fullbug, Paulette and bferr1 like this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

The first 2 were great. The third was okay.

Great books also...

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

"monday tuesday thrusday wednsday"

I love the first 2. II is like Shakespeare, so perfectly balanced. I watched them a ton before I started questioning what's going on "politically" to drive the action, because it's not necessarily clear, but yet the characters pull you along, doesn't matter what the mob issues are, because the family drama is more important and is what attracts everyone to the films. For example, it's never fully explained what Fredo did to aid the assassination attmept at the beginning of II.

Also, I love that Fredo scene. "You're not my brother, not my friend, I don't want to know you..."

joelee likes this.
  13. Cheepnik

Fredo enabled the attack without realizing he was doing so. As he explains later, he wanted to feel like he was accomplishing something for the family without Michael's help, so he accepted the friendship of Johnny Ola*, one of Hyman Roth's men, thinking that it would benefit the Corleones down the line. All it did, though, was allow Ola to gather from Fredo the information needed for his guys to attempt the shooting.

*Played, btw, by Dominic Chianese - aka Uncle Junior Soprano

14. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I heard III was crap, so I waited 'til it came out on video. I stuck tape 1 in and watched it, and it came to the end of the movie at the end of the tape. I didn't realize from watching what was actually tape 2 that I had missed the entire first hour and a half of the movie. That's pretty bad.

Fullbug likes this.
  15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Are you sure Fredo didn't know what he was doing? I've always thought he did, and he was just too weak not to give into his urge to play big shot with Johnny Ola. He was never a big shot with his family, having to suck up to his baby brother for a living, and he craved such opportunities, one of which the Ola branch of the family was all to happy to provide.

wavethatflag and Mr. E. Tramp like this.
  16. Cheepnik

No, I don't think he would purposely endanger Michael as a way to get ahead. But I could be wrong.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

On the other hand, you might have been more engaged with what you were watching had you seen the first part of the movie.

18. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

I just watched the first film a month ago for the first time. I know... I know. I think part of it was that it was overhyped by people I know that have different tastes than me in other areas. So I watched the first film and LOVED it. Rented the second one last week... LOVED it... that is, until the second disc started to skip then freeze with no advancement whatsoever (right around the flashback with Sonny at dinner). I tried cleaning it but it's scratched... So i'm waiting for my replacement copy... :realmad:

I'm known as a film buff around my friends and when I made this revelation to some of them there were quite a few double-takes. :angel:

Siegmund likes this.
  19. claypool

claypool New Member

The first two Godfather movies are one of the best movies ever. The third one wasn't too bad either. It just paled in comparison to the previous parts.

20. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

and that's my point on this, and say the turk situation leading to the five families war - it's not really explained so easily what's going on, and yet it doesn't matter. The first time you watch it especially, and no one comes out and says, gee what was that part about. Like, Michael tells Hyman it was Pantangelli, and tells Pantangelli it was Hyman. But none off it matters because of the strength of the characters.

Also, never would've guessed that Johnny Ola was Uncle Junior.

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Yeah. Maybe.

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I guess I'm gonna have to watch it again next time it's on.

23. "The Risotto brothers are taking hostages...hey Mike, they spit right in my face."

g.z. and wavethatflag like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

been a fan since day one...owned every video version at one time.:)

g.z. likes this.
  25. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

Well, sort of. I do sleep with a severed horses head in my bed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.