SH Spotlight CD & Digital flaws: Our technique for finding A/D & D/A converters for DCC Golds in 1992

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

In the months before the DCC Gold CDs were going to be mastered at Location Recording Service back in 1992, Kevin Gray was upgrading the mastering room and searching for a new A/D, D/A system to get more resolution than the old Sony PCM system could give us.

Kevin had a nifty vintage EMT stereo echo/reverb plate in the back of the studio and what he did was to record a bunch of "taps" with a drumstick onto the top of the console using his vintage Neumann mic with full reverb up so we could hear the echo trail decay. He recorded them on 15 ips tape and then we cut a lacquer of the numerous reverb hits as well. (Yes, this was as boring as it sounds).

We compared the decay time of the lacquer with the "master" analog tape. They matched. Next step of course was to compare the Sony digital PCM-1630 recording of the tape with the lacquer. Surprise (not), they didn't match. The digital master decayed much earlier and the reverb wasn't accurately reproduced to begin with (a common problem back then). It was there, just not ALL there.

So, that was our "standard ref" in the goal to upgrading the digital recording system; to find a machine that could record and play back the echo hits in digital so they would match the lacquer in intensity and decay. The unit with the most ambiance retrieval would win.

After MUCH searching, Kevin found a Wadia professional unit that was a big improvement on the Sony PCM system. After some proprietary tweaking by Kevin, the Wadia was installed in the system right before I started on the first DCC Gold, "Wheels Of Fire" by Cream. We used that all through the LRS masterings and Kevin took it with him when he switched back to Future Disc Systems in the middle 1990s.

Kevin did the same test at AcousTech when he upgraded to what he has now (Pacific).

I bring this up not as a digital vs. analog thing but to show that engineers around the world realize the problems that PCM digital has had from the start. We want it to match analog playback and have struggled for 25 years to get it. It's close but not perfect. Can you tell? Dunno. Depends on your playback system and your personal hearing system (yer EARS). You might not care; CDs are so much easier to play.

So this is not a new thing, but this is something that we WANT to sound as good as it can. Digital has come a long way but it's not perfect (in the "good" way).

C6H12O6, Tommyboy, snkcube and 10 others like this.
  2. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Back in the 90s I borrowed a Wadia 17/27 transport-DA combo, had it in my room for an hour or so. I played one of the DCC McCartney CDs and the sound just blew me away. The Wadia was doing something that just sounded so much better than I've ever heard since or before regardless of what CD player I use.

3. raunchy

raunchy New Member

I remember reading a quote by a famous mastering engineer (name escapes me at the moment) who claimed digital would have to approach 250 khz sampling rate or some high number to be closer to the analog sound. Who knows, but at least it kind of puts it in perspective.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Wasn't it what DSD is trying to achieve by sampling at 2.8 Mhz?

5. tps

tps Forum Resident

Maybe we need more than 16 bits of resolution...

6. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Hi Steve,

Sounds like a great way to test.

I also use the sound of a "space" I know well, with two-mic recordings I made myself. Along with changing the reverb characteristics and the length of the decay, not many A-Ds can even keep the space in focus.

The Pacific does a great job. Some of the new Sonic boxes (e.g. the 305) along with another one I'm testing (which I can't name right now) have, to my ears, achieved new levels of fidelity to the mic feed.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Steve, did the 1630 converters get the tonality right? Have you run across converters that couldn't get either (tone or spacial quality) right? Do the newest converters affect how you master at all? Thanks.

8. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, would you say that this shortcoming of digital is solely a resolution thing, or could there be something else at play? BTW, did you try different sampling rates and bit depths in the tests you mention? If so, what was closer to the analog?

I agree with you that digital has come a long way. It is a pity that more professionals today are not interested in getting the best sound out of it instead of just going for the 'sound of the moment' because perhaps that would help digital achieve more in less time. (Just MHO).

9. Steve Hoffman

Agreed, Barry. Now is a good time to be getting into digital. Too bad CD's are done for; just starting to get it real right without our mastering "tricks"!:(

10. Steve Hoffman

I've never heard a professional converter that did NOT get the tonality correct. Never. That (to me) has never been the problem.

11. Steve Hoffman

Back in 1992 there was really only one rate. We could only test the gear that existed in the real world made for studio use. There was nothing else.

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  12. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I think for the most part, it's the quality and resolution of the converters, even at 16/44.1. Ya just need to spend the bucks.:D

13. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

You are right. I forgot that you were working on the DCCs back in '92.

14. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

It's a shame, from what I've read vinyl had never sounded better before it started to disappear...

Re the first post by Steve, I'm amazed by the dedication that goes into your masterings, not just by you, but the crew around you. Every little (and big!) bit/decision counts... (Every little BIT counts with digital) :) .. and it really shows in the final product. I may not be able to afford a lot of the OOP stuff, but when I do buy them I am blown away every time..

Thank you.

15. Additional curse: you get it right with the Wadia A/D-D/A and
    the cd manufacturing process itself introduces problems (degradation).

16. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper

Yeah.
    I remember back in '83, I was telling folks we'd had vinyl disks for close to 100 years (at the time, I think 95 was the exact number). I used to say "Just wait. In another 100 years CDs will sound at least as good." :rolleyes:

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Hamhead and hi_watt like this.
  17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I've defintely noticed a big improvement in ADCs and DACs over the years.

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

We sure do. Once you hear 24/176 of a recording and compare it with even good 16/44.1, you realize it is no contest.

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I'm still using my ancient Wadia from 1992 or so. Still sounds good to me. Only problem is it doesn't go any higher than 16/48 so can't play some of the newer stuff through it.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Wadia makes good gear but have you heard the newer models?

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Nope, there's no high end stores around here anymore. They've all switched to "home theatre" installation companies.

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

In Atlanta they are going back to good ole 2 channel audio! :cool:

McLover likes this.
  23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Steve, thanks for sharing. Despite the technological advances, the CD format is all dressed up with no place to go. :(

24. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

LeeS,
    could I get info on the stereo shops in ATL?

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Sure. Try:

Sound & Cinema in Alpharetta
    Audio Alternative in Lilburn
    Audio Atlanta in Marietta
    Georgia Home Theater in Smyrna
    Gateway Sound in Tucker

McLover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.