Van Morrison - Album by Album discussion - PART THREE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfarney

tfarney Active Member

Yep - doodyhead - all lower case. Like ee cummings.

tim

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

:laugh:

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

oh wow, monday monday....i hope he's not a "rainy days and mondays" kinda guy....had I known it was a "monday", i'd of not talked you into going....

:tsk: to you
    and
    :hide: is where you're gonna find me...

haha...just playin on your teenage paranoia there tommy boy....Happy 400 or something like that....Van's gonna be great. I can feel it.

4. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Here's hoping you don't get a doodyhead fleecing from Mr. Veedon himself...
    :righton:

5. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I just heard 'Soul' from Keep It Simple while out doing some shopping.
    Nice to hear Van on the radio again.

6. mrbillswildride

I love that song... the end of this album is quite strong...Love Go Back Home, or whatever it is called too...

7. DJ WILBUR

wow Tom, you must be about to explode, or knowing you; implode....48ish hours away.....I'm very excited for you....

8. Clarkophile

'Lover Come Back'? Yes, that gets my vote as Instant Van Classic (TM) from the album.

Hey, in less than three hours I'll be in the same room as our Chubby Churlish Chum!

You do know me too well, William. Is it normal to be nervous before seeing one of your musical heroes for the first time?:laugh: I've got enough butterflies to fill a Gypsy Caravan.

9. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Looks like Tom got to hear a nice set list tonight. Can't wait for his review. :righton:

10. JohnB

JohnB Senior Member

Indeed! If this is really the setlist for the Toronto show then it's one of the most interesting I've seen in a long long time. A show potentially filled with goose bump inducing moments:

Wild Night
    Tupelo Honey> Why Must I Always Explain
    Keep It Simple
    That's Entrainment
    In the Afternoon>Raincheck
    Wavelength
    Moondance
    Help Me
    Lover Come Back
    Sometimes We Cry
    St. James Infirmary
    Cleaning Windows
    Comfortably Numb
    Ballerina
    St. Dominic's Preview
    And the Healing Has Begun
    Gloria

11. Clarkophile

"I'm not numb... I'm not comfortable either" was the endearing quip after our fearless bandleader fumbled his cue for the second chorus of 'Comfortably Numb,' the inclusion of which was a big surprise for me (a welcome one too).

That was indeed the set list. More later, but for me it was a Vanscendental experience.:love:
    And he played for 95 minutes.

12. Clarkophile

I think there were elements of 'Ancient Highway' incorporated into this too!

Still on Cloud Van.:thumbsup:

13. DJ WILBUR

wow tommy, what a money shot Van delivered for your birthday! i'm very glad you got a good set list! the only thing missing is Summertime in England which would have made me explode if he did this set list and that song too, mystic church indeed....:nauga:

14. DJ WILBUR

i think i have to make this playlist for my ipod, its certainly a very strong set list...i'm shocked at how generous he was with his familiar songs....wavelength, moondance, tupelo, gloria, the floyd chestnut, WILD NIGHT!!!!, not to mention a few of my all times faves Ballerina, Dominic, Healing, St. James, CLEANING WINDOWS!!! wow, we need to find a tape of this show...:help:

15. Clarkophile

I love Van's interpretation of the Floyd number, but he seemed almost apologetic, embarrassed when introducing it. He said something like "Years ago I was asked by Roger Waters to play at 'The Wall'. This really isn't my kind of music (heavy stress on this:laugh: ), but it was used in some movie last year..." Note to Van, it was The Departed.

One of the female backing vocalists sang the Waters part, and when Van came in with the "There is no pain, you are receding" bit, the crowd just erupted.
    I nearly plotzed it was so incredible. Then, as I said, he botched his second go at the chorus and the band covered for him. Still, it was a moment I'll never forget. Goose bumps, the whole bit.

More later.

16. DJ WILBUR

he probably spent the rest of the night figuring out how to throw one of the band members under the tour bus for screwing him up!

i would have plotzed as well hearing this odd choice for a song at a van show...I"d of prefered a glum Georgia on my Mind...hahaha

17. Clarkophile

Oh, man, the bass player never once let his eyes roam off of Van's hands lest he miss a cue. Van was deliberately switching up the arrangements on the fly the whole way through, practically daring them to screw up.

18. DJ WILBUR

classic van stage antics. hard to be a band member in his band i would think.

so where is your war and peace length review????.....i'm shocked you werent up all night laboring over it for our morning coffee reading pleasure.....

19. Clarkophile

I plan to spend my lunch hour putting it together.

20. curbach

:yikes: Where was this setlist when I saw him??? May be Van didn't appreciate my comments on his more recent albums ;)

21. DJ WILBUR

hahaha, i almost wrote exactly this but thought better of it. I think he knows the host of this thread lives in Toronto and the dour writer doodyhead in Austin....so there you go....:D

22. mrbillswildride

Sounds like a Wild Night of Van Los Hnoey!!!

What is this "PLOTZED" you speak of :help: ???:confused:

23. DJ WILBUR

1. plotzed
    Yiddish slang for bowel movement.
    I was so scared I almost plotzed in my pants! I laughed so hard I almost plotzed in my pants!

2) so intoxicated as to be unintelligible or incoherent.
    1) Your computer is plotzed.
    2) Ralph got so plotzed last night that he couldn't even give the cab driver directions to his house. (i'm sure Tom meant this sort of meaning)

24. curbach

Apparently, Van does not take offense at the term "Yannification" :laugh:

25. Clarkophile

The Van Morrison Album by Album Thread: Come for the Music, Stay for the Complimentary Yiddish Lessons

Group Rates Available

Open 24 Hours

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.