Marvin Gaye - What's Going On - DETROIT MIX

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Larry Miles tells a differently story in the Ben Edmonds book.

From page 194:

The rest of Larry's quotes are posted a few posts back so I won't repeat them here.

2. teebo911

teebo911 The Professor

If anyone is interested in making their own mix, the multi-track tapes for this and of few other of Marvin's songs are known to be floating around on the net.

Four songs in total, two 8-track (Grapevine and Ain't nothing like the real thing) and two 16-track (Mercy and What's going on), with each track in lossless wave format.

It is really great to listen to all the individual elements (and with the right software, you can make your own mixes), though I drove my wife crazy when I burned a few CDs with just the isolated tracks. It makes for a looonnnngggg car ride if that isn't your sort of thing ;)

-Chris

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

These multis have been discussed on these, and many other music forums. Some of us have them, and i've made a few mixes of my own.

But, this is a forbidden area, as these tapes are not supposed to be in everyone's possession.

4. teebo911

teebo911 The Professor

Hi Grant,

Sorry. Did not realize that discussion of things like that was disallowed.

-Chris

5. Francis

Francis Active Member

I've just discovered this thread... I don't know which mix was preferred by Marvin but you guys just convinced me to hear this famous Detroix mix ! :wave: The What's Going On Deluxe edition is now at the top of my list... :)

6. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I got it and feel you can flip a coin. But if anything, I am leaning very slightly to the LA mix. Probably from familiarity. I am glad that I bought the Deluxe edition it is a very good production.

7. Bob Olhsson

Bob Olhsson Motown Legend

Edmonds apparently exadurated what I had told him (I assume it was Edmunds who had called me and asked questions about Marvin for a book) when he talked to Larry Miles. What I've written was exactly what Larry told me shortly after it happened. No mysticism was ever mentioned.

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Thanks, Bob. It seems to me that Larry told a slightly different story to Edmonds. Or maybe he was misquoted.

Either way, none of this seems to indicate that Motown or Gordy ordered a remix of the album, which is really the issue most important to me in this thread.

9. Grant

And, honestly, after this thread, who really frikkin' cares which version Gaye preferred? We will never, ever know for sure, and I will not assume it was the LA mix just because it's the final, released one. Marvin was a very complicated man who often second-guessed and contradicted himself.

Just enjoy what you like. BOTH versions are there for us to enjoy, not to bicker over. Let's leave it at that.

10. Bob Olhsson

Bob Olhsson Motown Legend

After Marvin added the new keyboard parts, the album obviously needed a new mix. There is no question that the released mix was exactly what Marvin wanted and he praised Larry in the liner notes, one of the very first credits ever ever given to a Motown engineer. Larry and Marvin remained friends until his untimely death.

11. Grant

I still think the sound quality of the Detroit Mix is superior.

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

After reading this thread, I got curious and I decided to get the deluxe edition with the Detroit mix.

Well, I don't know which one of the two I prefer, this is such a great album after all.

Still, after having listened to the LA mix countless times, the Detroit mix it's definitely a very refreshing experience. It gives you a different perspective on the album. And the "What's Going On" with the two distinct vocals coming from the left and the right speaker is absolutely amazing.

I can see why some people here prefer it.

13. Grant

:wave:

14. EJK71

EJK71 Forum Resident

I personally prefer the Multitrack of What's Going on...but after that, the Detroit Mix of the album

15. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I couldn't live without either mix now that I have both.

16. Grant

This post makes absolutely no sense.

17. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

I just ordered the deluxe version, if only for the Detroit Mix (as I already got the original). Looking forward to it! :)

robertawillisjr and Simon A like this.
  18. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Got it today! One question: is the original album included the same remaster as the 2002 CD?

19. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

Why does it say "The Foundation" above the Rhythm & Strings Mix of "What's Going On" on Disc one of the Deluxe Edition? I've never been able to figure that out...

20. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

Also, does anyone know if the three "Original Single Versions" ("What's Going On," "God Is Love," "Sad Tomorrows") on Disc Two of the 2001 Deluxe Edition are the same versions as the Mono Single Versions of those tracks on the 2011 40th Anniversary Editions?

21. Grant

Yes, they are.

22. Grant

The basic tracks.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

I understand it to mean that the music on that one track is the foundation for What's Going On, the song and therefore, What's Going On the album.

Simon A likes this.
  24. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Sadly not in the case of Sad Tomorrows. The 2001 Deluxe version is stereo. The 40th is Mono.

You can get stereo version on the HDtracks hi-res release.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  25. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Is the "40th" available on CD only?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.