Neil Young - Tonight's The Night Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hdsemaj, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've never heard this and was thinking about picking a vinyl copy of it. In doing some research I found this one at Acoustic Sounds: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=2167

Anyone have any experience with this reissue? I guess you couldn't go wrong for $9, but would like some opinions. Musicdirect also has it for $6.

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Haven't heard the reissue, but I know that for a few bucks more you could own an original, which is, I assure you, going to beat any reissue.

Not affiliated in anyway with the seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Neil-Young-TONIGHTS-THE-NIGHT-1975-LP-Gatefold-Inner_W0QQitemZ330264569214QQihZ014QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I have it. Bought it years ago, but it's the same thing. A Reprise stock issue done by Specialty.

Excellent. I don't have an original to compare it to, but it doesn't stink, FWIW.

4. mike75

mike75 New Member

5. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Get an original (for less than $20 mint) with the texured fuzzy cover, cool gatefold, inner foldout booklet in german, black inner sleeve and labels, and Goodbye Waterface in the deadwax... An Lp to love for a lifetime... Reissues are alright as place holders, but in this case, nothing has the dark, mysterious Mojo of the original Tonight's The Night Lp issue, and it sounds...

:righton::righton::righton:

:cheers:

KipB likes this.
  6. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

I've got that reissue and it sounds great though it doesn't come with the lyrics like the original. I haven't got an original to compare it tbut am happy with this reissue.

7. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I have the reissue - I think I paid $5.99 for it (sealed). It has the gatefold but no lyrics sheet. The sound is good honest vinyl sound - not digital as far as I know. This isn't an "audiophile" album in sound quality but a masterpiece of dark, drugged out depression. HIGHLY recommended. Almost nothing beats an original anything, this is a great record for a minimal investment.

8. hdsemaj

Thanks for the tips. Yesterday, I went to the local record store and it was closed. Maybe I will run over there today to see what they got.

9. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

Original pressings are easy to find. This is definitely one of my NY faves.

10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

This particular thread made me want to go out and buy this. I was going to buy the new edition. It is super cheap most places. I perused the record store in town today instead and found a clean copy of the original for 6 bucks. Also found Zuma for 7. Now my 70's Neil on vinyl is complete, except for Rust Never Sleeps.

11. hdsemaj

My local record store didn't have an original. They did have the current reissue for $10. I passed and got a copy of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - Deja Vu instead. Not an original pressing, but sounds damn good to me.

12. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

one of the best cut records ever

get the original

13. mrbillswildride

Then we concur...;)

"Please take my advice..."

:cheers:

14. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Add me to the queue! :agree:

15. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Heh, not where I live...

16. inperson

inperson Senior Member

My reissue has some static noises in a few tracks. I guess some pressing error. I have an original I bought used but when I got it home it had a slight warp at the begining that caused the needle to jump:( Search continues. I rarely see used originals in any record stores. I guess it has always been a keeper. And I think it has the best Neil Young cover.

17. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

If you have trouble finding a nice original (like me), then you are safe with the re-issue. I think it sounds amazing... a definite improvement over the CD. There's great musicality in that reissue.

But of course, get an original if you can find it. I'm still looking for one...

18. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I have the reissue and it certainly is pretty good, BUT the original is THE only way to go if you want the goods. It is a GREAT sounding LP. I have an extra I will soon be offering in the marketplace.

C

19. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I'm listening to this LP right now. The is the best $6 i've spent on a new vinyl record all year. If you can luck into a mint original, do it. If not buy this for the cheap going rate. You will not be sorry. :righton:

20. mrbillswildride

"Old Bill, He's up there still.... having a ball... rolling to the bottom..." :D

21. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Okay so I found a copy that I believe has a fuzzy cover. It has a black reprise label and "Hello waterface" "goodbye waterface" is that an original?

22. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Yes that's the one, sounds great. Should say "goodbye waterface" as well on side B. A noisy pressing regardless of condition, but the sonics are killer.

23. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

well its one phrase on each side. Sweet I scored it for $10 looked pretty clean I'll have to play it! Odd thing was there was two copies of this same pressing at the same dealer....

24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Recently back into vinyl, I got the reissue a couple of months ago and like it a lot. But all this talk of the original reminds me of when I bought the original back in the day, and indeed that textured jacket etc does have a magical appeal...

25. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I wonder what "waterface" refers to? Some sort uh drrreeeuuuuhg reference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.