The Bobby Whitlock - Derek And The Dominos Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by happytobealive, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. happytobealive

happytobealive New Member Thread Starter

FYI ..the girl on the Layla album is Kay Poorboy . She was in love with Carl and when he died she couldn't take living without him and shot herself in the head with a pistol on Christmas Eve or day , they buried her next to Carl .
    "Tell the Truth" was originally going to be the single , however it was pulled because Eric and Bobby did not like the Phil Spector production and did not like that they didn't sound like The Dominos , "Roll it Over" came out as the single . Nothing was happening for the band so nothing was going on with record . A year and a half later , Ron Houseman started to play the long version of Layla non-stop onair , and it finally caught on . Unfortunatly the band had been broken up ...Duane had died , and Eric was in seclusion . CC

2. street legal

street legal Senior Member

You mean the girl on the cover? I was always under the impression that that was supposed to be Layla herself, Patti Boyd/Harrison. :confused:

3. happytobealive

The Photo of the Girl not the Cover

The photo of the woman ..the montage .
    That is Kay Poorboy.
    CC Whitlock

4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

The one in the lower right hand corner, to the right of the picture of Clapton with headphones & no shirt on?

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  5. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

IIRC, she is sitting on steps, wearing a blue shirt, and a silver necklace - right? Dark hair about to her shoulders. I never knew who she was either.

As someone else mentioned, I understood that the front cover is a painting of "Layla".

6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Are you a relation to Bobby? Welcome!

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

There is a chance. I believe Bobby lives in Austin now with his wife Coco and they have recently self-released a CD.

8. happytobealive

Layla reply

Let me try to get this straight...when you open the Layla album ...on the bottom right (in between Eric laughing eyes closed , holding a white cup ..with no shirt on ...and Duane to the right of the woman in question ...Kay Poorboy is shown looking into the camera with her head resting in her hand ...she is wearing a white shirt.
    She is the only woman according to Bobby that Robert Stigwood allowed to hang around.
    Yes , this is Bobby's sig other .
    I have been asked to post stuff ...as Bobby relays it to me , hopfully to get some facts straightened out and friends with Norm .
    Thank you all .

9. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

CoCo Carmel, perhaps the CC?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. happytobealive

Yup thats us...
    CoCo
    Thank you

BeatlesBop likes this.
  11. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. happytobealive

So Sweet ,
    Thank you . That photo on the album was taken by Robin Turner .

13. happytobealive

Just to let you know ..Bobby is telling me that Kay found Carl at his home ....four days after he had died. Jim Keltner had been trying to get hold of Carl and couldn't reach him , so he had asked Kay Poorboy to go check in on him and she found him at his home.
    Carl had gone into a deep depression over losing his gig with Eric.
    CC

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's the first time I've heard that, but certainly plausible. Anyway, the songs that Bobby Whitlock co-wrote with Eric on the Layla album are classics; all of em.

All Down The Line likes this.
  15. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Welcome to the forum, CC.

I think about the Dominos often and have been listening to the live Fillmore material recently. The loss of Duane and Carl and Jim Gordon's very sad situation are difficult not to think about when I hear those songs.

I'm happy that Bobby and Eric have survived. I do wish EC had spent more time and space in his book writing about Derek and The Dominos. There was some good material in the book but considering the importance of that band (and the fact that Eric was revisiting much of the material in concert for the first time since 1970) I was hoping for more Dominos coverage.

Has Bobby heard from Eric in the last few years? I know they played together on a British TV show (Jools Holland?) a few years ago. Please pass along my thanks for the wonderful music.

16. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I'm a huge, huge fan of Carl Radle, and Bobby Whitlock too, but Carl's my alltime fave bassist. I love his sound and feel. It was very sad that he died so young. A real shame that Eric's 70's band started to disband with all the various drugs and alcohol addictions internally towards the end of 1978 and into the summer of '79. Eric sacked them all in 1979 and sadly Carl never seemed to recover and died early the next year.

Was Kay Carl's partner? I wasn't sure if he was married. I'd love to read more about Carl's life.

17. Almost Simon

Me too. Sadly Eric did not give a huge amount of time to writing about the actual music in his book.

It would be nice to think with Eric reforming Cream, playing with Steve Winwood again and also Eric's decision to play much of the Domino's songs in his set again, that he would consider doing some shows with Bobby.

hiterss likes this.
  18. protay5

protay5 Member

I'm a big fan of Whitlock's solo work -- Raw Velvet is awesome ... and out of print.

19. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

This is a really interesting thread.

CC, thanks for joining us and sharing your impressions (and those of Bobby)!

:cheers:

20. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

21. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

I'd recommend going to see Bobby and Coco play if you get the chance. They're quite good.

22. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

Quite interesting indeed. As much as I like the Layla album and song, I don't know much about the people or events behind it, other than Clapton. On a side note, my '79 Cadillac is named "Layla"!

23. happytobealive

Just want to say to you all thank you for your interest and for still being fans of D&D and Bobby .
    Carl's passing was truly sad , after he was "let go" , he never got over it . Kay and Carl were never married . But Carl had a daughter . Bobby says that Carl kept to himself , he was a quiet man, and the ladies loved him.
    We have heard from a lot of people regarding the D&D chapter in Eric's book ...there is plenty missing from that. But hopefully there will be another book. The Jan Reid Book ( Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs /Derek&the Dominos) is a great book and Bobby had a lot of input on that . The Japanese edition of the book was allowed to be re-edited by Jan and Bobby , and things were re-adjusted to get some facts corrected. Bobby's car crash invloved a Ferrari not a porshe (huge difference..to a car buff) kinda like crashing on a Moped , or golfcart. Hopefully it will go into re-print in the U.S.
    If you check out Eric's Flickr Photostream , our CD Lovers is up on that . There is a song on the new Lovers CD that Eric and Bobby wrote called "Dear Veronica" . This song began 30 years ago(approx) just as the band was breaking up .

24. Almost Simon

I know there was a brief snippet of Tom Dowd listening to the Layla master tapes in his movie 'Tom Dowd and the language of music,' but I think that album is ripe for a 'Classic Album' DVD. You've got the 2 main singers/songwriters who can give their views on the albums creation. Sadly we've lost Tom Dowd but there is archive radio/TV footage of him discussing the record and there's also the recording engineers. I would LOVE to see that. I have my fingers crossed for one day - it is my alltime favourite album.

And i'd also love to hear more of the sessions for the second album recorded in London in 1971. I know the 5 songs on Eric's 'Crossroads' boxset but i've also heard some more outtakes on bootleg. Some of the tracks are unfinished instrumentals but they sound really good. Also it appears that Jim Gordon tried recording some of his own acoustic tracks during the sessions. I hope they release a few more of the tracks at some point in the future.

Gysin likes this.
  25. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Welcome CoCo and Bobby! Thanks for the music. :) :righton:

Steve Carras likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.