Glen Campbell as a Session Musician

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwitt1980, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

I am certain there has been a thread about tracks Glen Campbell has done as a session musician, but I could not find them while searching. Either way, with the new album out, I'm hoping many of us are in a Glen-mood. I'd like to celebrate his years as a session musician and generally gain some knowledge of certain tracks he has played on. So please feel free to post any titles you can think of. Also, if anyone knows of a good discography online showcasing Campbell as a session musician... please point me in that direction.

I know Glen played on many Monkees tracks and most of Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. Did he play on all the songs from Pet Sounds or just a few? And did he play with them on any other albums. I would imagine so, since "Guess I'm Dumb" was recorded in 1965.

I also remember hearing he plays on "Strangers In the Night" by Frank Sinatra. Any other Frank numbers?

Just throw them out there, I'd greatly appreciate it. :righton:

2. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

Glen was one of the legendary LA "Wrecking Crew" and I've read he played on many sessions with Phil Spector, Sonny & Cher, Gary Lewis & The Playboys, Paul Revere & The Raiders, Jan & Dean and so many others before making it big solo.

I've read Glenn's one of the lead guitarists on the Beach Boys classic "Dance Dance Dance".

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

absolutely...there are session tapes out there with Glen talking during the breaks of a few takes...

4. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

5. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Tequila!

A friend of mine recently told me that Glen is the guitarist on the Champ's single, but it looks like he joined the group a year after it was released.

6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I believe Glen plays the acousic lead on "Dance Dance Dance." Carl, who came up with the riff, plays the electric.

Carl and Glen handle the dual electric lead guitars on "Fun Fun Fun," as well.

Glen played on dozens of Beach Boys sessions up through and including a good chunk of Pet Sounds. The booklet for the Pet Sounds box set lists him as playing on "You Still Believe In Me," "Don't Talk," "I Know There's an Answer," "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times," and "Caroline, No."

Stone Turntable likes this.
  7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

He also did some great work on the early sixties Del-Fi hot rod instrumental
    albums by the Darts, the Deuce Coupes and the De-Fenders. It's pretty
    difficult to know which tracks he's on and which he's not, but he was part of
    the studio group that did all these albums. Great stuff.......

Attached Files:

8. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

If it counts, he sings lead on Sagittarius' awesome 'My World Fell Down', and Jimmy Webb's 'Chevrolet' theme.

9. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Did Jimmy Webb compose a jingle for Chevrolet?

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

11. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Hey did and Glen sings it and it is truly fabulous!

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Besides "Strangers In The Night" (recorded April 11, 1966 at United Recording, Hollywood), Glen Campbell is listed on the following Frank Sinatra Reprise sessions:
    • February 1, 1967 at Western Recorders (1st session, for the Sinatra/Jobim album): "Once I Loved" / "How Insesitive" / "Drinking Again"

• February 1, 1967 at Western Recorders (2nd session): "Somethin' Stupid" (with Nancy Sinatra)

• July 24, 1967 at United Recording (for The World We Knew album): "Don't Sleep In The Subway" / "Some Enchanted Evening"
    There were multiple guitars at all of these studio sessions.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  13. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

He also played on Gene Clark's first solo album,along with Clarence White,Leon Russell,Chris Hillman,Michael Clarke,Doug Dillard,V.D.Parks among others.

14. cwitt1980

I didn't know that. I guess it's hard to pinpoint which parts he actually plays. Anymore info on this?

15. cwitt1980

I had no idea.

I'll have to track that one down, I have it around somewhere. I never noticed it sounding like him.

16. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

Glen is the man.

Drifter likes this.
  17. dyno guy

dyno guy Forum Resident

Glen Campbell played lead guitar on The Hondells' hit single "Little Honda", which was recorded in July 1964, and produced by Gary Usher. "Little Honda" peaked at #10 for two weeks on Cashbox (10/24/64 and 10/31/64) and at #9 on Billboard. A great-sounding, wide stereo mix of it can be found on the 1987 DCC "Beach Classics", remastered by Steve.

Some other Beach Boys' songs that Glen Campbell played on- of course he played on a ton- were:

*** "Help Me, Ronda" (the album version; 12-string acoustic rhythm guitar; recorded on 1/8/65).
    *** "Help Me, Rhonda" ( the 45 RPM hit single version;electric rhythm guitar; recorded on 2/24/65).
    *** "Please Let Me Wonder" ( the B-side to "Do You Wanna Dance"; 12-string acoustic rhythm guitar; recorded on 1/7/65).

The information on The Beach Boys' recording details is from Craig Slowinski's superb site, www.beachboysarchives.com.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but Glen Campbell also played 12-string lead guitar on Jackie DeShannon's "Needles and Pins" and the Folkswingers' "12 String Guitar" album (produced by Jim Dickson).

Another interesting point is that, if Roger McGuinn had not been allowed to play his Rickenbacker 12-string electric guitar as the lead on "Mr. Tambourine Man", along with The great Wrecking Crew session musicians, Glen Campbell would probably have played the 12-string electric lead guitar instead. (Richie Unterberger, "Turn!Turn!Turn!", pg. 106. Backbeat Books, 2002).

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Didn't he play electric guitar on Elvis "Viva Las Vegas" in 63?

19. 905

905 Senior Member

I think so... also I heard Glen played on Dang Me by Roger Miller.

20. cwitt1980

Ahhh... I always wondered if Glen made his way to a Roger Miller recording.

21. cwitt1980

I've heard Glen's version of "Tequila" and I know he joined the Champs later on, but he doesn't play on the original, correct? Also, are there any performances available of Glen with the Beach Boys when he took Brian Wilson's place on tour?

22. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

I remember reading somewhere that he plays on the First Edition's "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)".

23. Trivia: Glen couldn't read a note of music, but according to Hal Blaine, he could play anything by ear.

Not only did Glen play on many of The Beach Boys tracks, but for a short period of time he was an actual Beach Boy.

24. 905

905 Senior Member

I always heard Glen played on the original Tequila. Maybe his autobiography mentions a few of the songs he played on. I'll see if I can dig it up.

25. dyno guy

dyno guy Forum Resident

Glen Campbell was also heavily involved in many recording sessions for The Rip Chords, from September 1962-March 1965.

He was specifically involved in the initial recording sessions for the "Three Window Coupe" single in mid-January 1964, which was the follow-up single to the group's breakthrough Top 5 hit, "Hey Little Cobra". He was probably also involved in playing on TWC's B-side, "Hot Rod U.S.A."

While I don't have proof of Glen's involvement in other specific Rip Chords songs (don't have access to the AFM recording contracts), I strongly suspect that he played on most, if not all, The Rip Chords' singles before TWC: "Here I Stand," "Gone," and "Hey Little Cobra" (plus B-sides). As well, I believe that he played on many of the album tracks on The Rip Chords' two albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.