Jethro Tull - Stand Up 40th Anniversary release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warchild, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warchild

Warchild Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all,

Well writing to EMI and Ian Anderson worked last time with the anniversary release of 'This Was' so I've set the ball rolling again for a 'special anniversary release' of Stand Up by mailing EMI and Ian again.

Here's what I'm proposing:

A new mix of the Stand Up album
    A new mix of Living In the Past and Driving Song tracks
    Original mono single mixes of Living In the Past and Driving Song
    All 5 BBC Session tracks from June '69

I've not included Sweet Dream/17/Singing All Day here as they were recorded much later in the year along with the first tracks for Benefit.

So, if you want to see this released then drop EMI an e-mail and lobby the contact address on the Tull website. Get writing now!!

Cheers,
    Don.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

How about the old mix?

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yeah?

4. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Better yet how about a multichannel sacd bonus disc?:agree:

5. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

This is not outside the realm of possibility, since EMI/Uk is planning several Anniversary Edition 2-disc sets (including surround sound remixes) for 2009, including "Deep Purple-Stormbringer" & "Barclay James Harvest-Once Again"

6. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I need to sit down.

How many times have I purchased this album since I was a kid?...

7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I'd propose the original mix and a new mix with the bonus materials you suggested. That said, I'm pretty happy with my MFSL of this album. Benefit on the other hand...

8. Warchild

Well with the 'This Was' anniversary release EMI studiously avoided included anything that was cuurently already available on CD with the exception of One For John Gee and Sunshine Day where no alternative was available. I was suggesting that they release the original stereo mix along with the mono (the version available on all formats since 1969 is actually the second stereo mix) but that fell on deaf ears.

So the original stereo mix of Stand Up is currrently available on the 2001 remaster. If we're going to get anything I would expect a new mix.

It would be great to hear a new mix but the real benefit of a remix would best be heard on ....well Benefit!

9. Warchild

Here's the letter that I've sent to various EMI contacts and Ian via the Tull website:

Dear

As you know next year, 2009 is the 40th anniversary of Jethro Tull's only UK no.1 album - the superb 'Stand Up'.

After the impressive anniversary release of 'This Was' earlier this year Would it not also be fitting to celebrate this hugely significant follow up with a new release of this album collecting together all related tracks recorded by the second incarnation of Jethro Tull in another 'special edition' release on CD or even DVD-Audio?

The 2001 remaster of 'Stand Up' gave the fans a great sounding version of the album, the best yet but missed the opportunity to expand the bonus track selection to include original mono mixes of singles released back in early 1969 and the only BBC 'Top Gear' session recorded by the Anderson/Barre/Bunker/Cornick lineup during June '69.

'Stand Up' was originally released in the UK by Island Records on 1st August 1969 in stereo only however the single released a couple of months earlier - 'Living In The Past/Driving Song' was issued in mono - interesting and slightly different mixes that have never been made available on CD and offers an alternative listening experience exactly how the songs would have originally been heard when the single was in the charts.

Certain album tracks - 'Bouree', 'Look into the Sun', 'Fat Man' and 'Reasons for Waiting' were issued on mono singles in Europe during 1969 but these may have been simple mono reductions of the stereo LP mixes.

Tull recorded their final radio session for the BBC during June 1969. A total of 5 songs were recorded and all survive in the BBC archives - 'Nothing Is Easy', 'Bouree', 'Fat Man', 'A New Day Yesterday' and 'Living In The Past' in clean versions without any overlaid DJ commentary. 'Nothing Is Easy' and 'Living In The Past' remain unreleased.

The later 1969 single 'Sweet Dream' was actually recorded along with the first tracks for the 'Benefit' album in September /October 1969 so does not fit chronologically with the songs on 'Stand Up'.

To follow on from the previous release of 'This Was' a new single CD collection comprising a new mix of 'Stand Up' fixing some dodgy edits in 'Bouree', new mixes of 'Living In The Past' and 'Driving Song', original mono mixes of 'Living In The Past' and 'Driving Song' along with new transfers of the 5 BBC Session tracks from 1969 would, I feel be a fitting and appropriate tribute to a truly great band and a great album and a celebration of their highest UK chart success. Perhaps even a second CD of alternate takes could be made available.

If you need any further information then I would be very happy to oblige.

Best regards,

10. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

If ever there was a band that could sound really great on M-Ch SACD it is Tull.

Heavy Horses...Broadsword...Brick...Aqualung...even Knave. Bring them on :)

11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's a good letter. However, I don't agree with you on the 2001 remaster being the "best sounding yet". :D

I think we will see a 40th anniversary 2 CD edition of Stand Up. It seems This Was selled well, and reissuing the following album would be logical.

What's more I was really impressed by the remix by Peter Mew. It looks like he is a better mixing engineer than mastering engineer. Anyway, he seems to have changed his (awful) mastering habits considering how good This Was 40th sounded.

12. Warchild

Well, actually I agree, I prefer the MFSL CD although it's still pretty good. That was just a bit of flattery really. I don't think EMI would have appreciated me starting the letter describing their previous effort as 'crap'!

So come on everyone, 5 minutes of your time to send an e-mail to the Tull website but in particular to EMI.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

:laugh:

14. Terry

Terry Senior Member

You need an editor.

15. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Don't agree with that sentiment - the letter shows detailed knowledge of the album and includes suggestions for the track listing. It's a great letter!

16. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I appreciate your taking the time to author the letter. Great job.

Stand Up is my favorite Jethro Tull album; I know many other Hoffmanites share this opinion. It would be great to see a deluxe anniversary edition.

17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Too True, too tull.

The "shirts" find enough bogus reasons to resell us the same music again. They certainly don't need our help in that arena.

Don't get me wrong. I love that Tull album. It's in my top four, but why not spend the money on something you don't have? Why not a cd of unreleased stuff ONLY? I think the original mix is fine. You'll probably get a louder version anyway and who needs that?

18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

5.1 or quad for me. I'm happy enough with the MoFi.

Tull is still being mastered too bright. Peter Mew must change his touch with Tull. The mono "This Was" is acceptable enough, but it still suffers the brights.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

What do you think of the remix, tootull?

20. tootull

I don't like the cymbals.

For stereo "This Was"
    I would rather listen to the 2001 remaster.

21. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I'm with Tootull on this one. The MoFi rules regarding Stand Up on cd. Naturally I'd buy it if it was loaded with bonus material, but JT has fleeced thier vaults so many times I'm not sure what's left that would be revelant to a 2-cd reissue of this album that we don't already have.
    Hmm?

22. ADAMIC

ADAMIC Member

I agree with the above statement but if they put everything from that time period and it sounds great I'd buy it. I love tull from this era.

23. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Jethro Tull "Stand Up" 40th Anniversary

Has anyone heard anything about a 40th anniversary release of this? The 40th anniversary remaster of "This Was" was finally packaged right in a deluxe package, and there's certainly enough to do the same with the other albums. I sent an email to Ian Anderson, a reply is not expected, but if enough people send him a message, perhaps the issue will be addressed on the Tull website.
    Here's the mail link:
    http://www.jethrotull.com/fans/emailband2.cfm?member=Ian

24. tootull

25. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Threads merged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.