Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #1)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I have noticed as of late that we have a decent amount of Classical Music fans here and thought that starting a new thread just for classical music listening would give us a chance to share and discuss the various Classical music we are listening to. I tried to post this directly in the L&WT room, but I don't have authority to do so.

I think it will be helpful if we list...

Composer
    Work
    Performer(s)
    Medium and Label (CD, LP)
    Date of performance (If known)

...since there are so many different performances of the same work, often by the same performer.

Me, I listened to this recently:

Sibelius
    Symphonies 1, 2 and 4
    cond. by Ashkenazy
    Decca CD

Great stuff here, I love his romantic, lush readings of these works. I have tried one or two other conductors in these works, but they have only sent me running back to Ashkenazy's readings. :)

So, what Classical Music are you listening to? :wave:

2. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Composer: Beethoven
    Work: Piano Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op. 13 "Pathétique"
    Performer: Rudolf Serkin
    Medium and Label: CD/Sony Classical/Legacy SK 90395
    Date of performance: Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studio, NYC, December 8 and 15, 1962

Great thread, George.

3. George P

Great performance, Bill.

We were just discussing Serkin on another thread. His Beethoven has a solidity and a severity that fits the music like a glove. Not that his playing isn't tender when appropriate. I think it's time I listened to some of his Beethoven again.

4. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

Various (Padilla, Villanico, Jacaras, Xacara, etc.)
    Missa Mexicana
    Andrew Lawrence-King cond. The Harp Consort
    Harmonia Mundi (2002)
    SACD

My tastes range mainly from medieval to late baroque. This disc highlights some of the best baroque music either about or composed in New Spain, with a mass from Padilla leading the charge. It's a very unique disc by most standards, but then again, it's completely in line with the stuff that Harmonia does so well. The interplay of chorus and instruments is beautiful, and listening to it again just the other day, I'm dumbfounded by just how great the sonics are on this disc. Amazing!

5. Beethoven
    String Quartets 2 in G Major & 4 in C Minor
    Smetana Quartet
    Denon (CD)
    1976?

6. George P

I've heard great stuff about their Beethoven, but only about the late quartets. Did they record a complete cycle?

7. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

At this moment...
    Composer: Lalo/Saint-Saens/Bruch
    Work: Cello Concerto in D minor/Cello Concerto in A minor/Kol Nidrei
    Performer: Pierre Fournier w/Orchestra Lamoureux conducted by Jean Martinon
    Medium and Label: LP, DGG
    Date of performance: 1963?
    I highly recommend this excellent performance!

8. George P

Fournier is great! You reminded me that I got a CD by him recently. It has the Dvorak Concerto with Szell! Plus Schelomo by Bloch and Kol Nidrei by Bruch. I will spin this on the way to work tomorrow. :)

9. I don't know, but based on these performances, I may be interested though.

10. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Composer: Grieg / Schumann
    Work: Piano Concertos
    Performer: Andsnes (piano), Jansons, Berlin PO
    Medium and Label: CD, EMI
    Date of performance: 2002

11. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Anderszewski is a master

they may not be the 'last word' in Sibelius orchestra performances, but those Ashkenazy recordings are stunning (i have the orig. WG CDs).

i have been listening to:

Bach
    Partitas 1, 3, 6
    perf. by Piotr Anderszewski
    Virgin Classics CD [rel. 2002]

i saw Anderszewski's Bach recital last weekend at Disney Hall, Los Angeles, and it was mesmerizing. Bach with a romatic touch, the first half was Partitas 1 and 2, the second a couple preludes and fugues from the Well-Tempered Clavier and an English Suite. he encored with the Bagatelles by Beethoven, which can be found on his excellent 2008 Virgin Classics release. i had been looking forward to that recital since February and it lived up to my expectations--best recital i've ever seen!! here is Mark Swed's review in the Los Angeles Times:

and here's what esteemed critic Alan Rich had to say on his new blog, www.soiveheard.com:

Attached Files:

12. George P

A friend on another forum adores these performances. I hope to find it cheap someday! :)

13. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Just pulled mine off the shelf. Indeed it is 1976 Wolfe. Though I prefer my Végh String Quartet stereo set the most, I do enjoy these early quartets by Smetana. And IMO they just plain cook on the Dvořák cd I have by them.

14. George P

:agree:

15. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

The Tallis Scholars Live in Oxford

1. Salve Regina
    2. Gaude Virgo
    3. Absalon Fili Mi
    4. Gaude Plurimum
    5. Tribue, Domine
    6. O Sacrum Convivium
    7. Adolescentulus Sum Ego
    8. Vox Patris Caelestis

Attached Files:

16. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Composer: Fauré
    Work: Requiem (1893 Version-First recording)
    Performer: The Cambridge Singers and members of the City of London Sinfonia/John Rutter conducting
    Medium and Label: CD/Collegium Records COLCD 101
    Date of performance: 1984
    Venue: University College School, London

17. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

Just picked this up today in the original German tulip pressing with the "red stereo" laminated cover. Can't wait to clean and listen to it.

Right now, I am listening to my second copy of David Oistrakh soloing Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D Major with Andre Cluytens conducting the French National Radio Orchestra. I can't afford the original on the UK EMI silver/powder blue label (or even the second red semi-circle label) and thus this US Angel original will have to do. My collection copy is the second US Angel pressing and it brings tears to my eyes -- not because the music is sad but rather because the performance is so incredible! This is the only recording of this great violin concerto that I would say is PERFECT.

:righton:

18. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

Composer: Bela Bartok
    Work: Concerto For Orchestra, Music for Strings, Percussion & Celeste, Hungarian Sketches
    Conductor/Orchestra: Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony
    Medium & Label: SACD/CD Hybrid, RCA Living Stereo
    Date of Performance: 1955!, 1958 (Amazing early stereo!) Re-issue, 2003

19. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Bach: Sonatas for Cello & Piano

Attached Files:

20. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

I may have to dig around for a copy on your high rec. Did it ever make it to cd (though vinyl is always welcome here)? I have yet to hear a performance of LvB's Violin Concerto that just blew me away that I had to rush out and buy. Good to hear there may be one. I have considered giving this one a try on a friend's rec:

[​IMG]
    Huberman/Szell

As of now, I only have Grumiaux on Philips. It works, but nothing to shout from a mountain top about.

21. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

I have this tandem (Maiskey/Argerich) for the LvB Cello Sonatas. How does their Bach rate in your opinion?

22. tps

tps Forum Resident

I just downloaded the 24/88.2 recording of Handel's "Messiah" from Linn Records. Wonderful recording quality.

I was listening to a recording of Schubert's Great (9th) Symphony I've had for a while. Its a Nimbus ambisonic recording by Roy Goodman & the Hanover Band. Got me to thinking I'd like to purchase this work by some well known conductor/orchestra. I've read good things about the Leonard Bernstein/NY Philharmonic recording, the Georg Solti/Vienna Philharmonic recording and also the Arturo Tosanini/NBC Orchestra recording. Can anyone recommend their favorite recording of this work?

23. Bruno Water / Columbia Symphony is my favorite. Not exactly sure when recorded, 1962? but it's stereo on Sony (CD) SMK 64 478. Coupled with Incidental Music to Rosamunde, earlier mono recording, 1957?

24. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Rach 3

Now i'm listening to a SPEAKERS CORNER reissue of:

Byron Janis and Antal Dorati/London Symphony Orchestra
    Piano Concerto No. 3
    Rachmaninov
    Mercury Living Presence LP [orig. rel. 1962?]

Wilma Cozart Fine recording + mastered by Willem Makee + pressed at Pallas = doesn't get much better. Great performance, too, if not the 'be all end all' of Rach 3's.

Attached Files:

25. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Will soon be getting around to Dvorak, his 1st Symphony. Never heard his first few before. Trying to keep expectations low, but it's a bit of a struggle as I like him.

Nice. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.