SH Spotlight The True Story of the "INTO THE MYSTIC" mixing goof on Van Morrison's MOONDANCE album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve what Moondance vinyl reissue is due to come out? Your version or is it someone else's?

2. I just got the first W/B Van's CDs remastered, Moondance sounds fantastic with the tambourine, as does His Band, & Astral Weeks.:love:

3. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

That 'foghorn' sounds like a baritone sax, maybe two or with a tenor?
    Tambourine isn't terribly obvious on my German copy - deadwax starts "WMME Aalsborg"...

4. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

What releases would these be? :confused:

5. These are from Warner Brothers Japan, also just recieved 6 Springsteen remasters & 4 Janis Ian's they all sound great

6. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Does it say who did the mastering?

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

8. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

9. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

I prefer the first running order. Have to try reprogramming it...

10. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

As Nate-O-Phonic pointed out in another thread, the current Warner Japan remaster includes the original Into the Mystic mix, with the tambourine and the louder foghorn. Sounds great to finally hear this original mix!

- Joe

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Joe, any comments on overall sound quality?

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

That means they used the safety dub marked "USE THIS FOR CUTTING". The only actual master on that tape is INTO THE MYSTIC. Could sound OK...

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Isn't it the other way around? The "USE THIS FOR CUTTING" tape had the remix spliced on, while the actual masters had the original mix? Per below:

14. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

It's more compressed than would be ideal. The opening "And It Stoned Me" is quite loud and set me up for disappointment, but after that there are a lot more dynamics and reasonable levels. It's definitely better than my original US CD, but there's still room for a CD version with Steve's touch. Astral Weeks is a greater overall improvement in sound, but nothing as dramatic as finally having the right mix for one of the songs!

The foghorn effect is quite startling in this mix, in a good way. I had never even associated those notes with the foghorn in the lyrics before, but it's hard to miss it in this version.

- Joe

15. I finally got around to ordering this from amazon japan. I had forgotten about it. Thanks guys you cost me $40! :)

16. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

So does the current CD have the incorrect mix? If so, does this mean the current CD was not mastered from the original master tape and uses a production master (dub)?

17. mrmaloof

mrmaloof Active Member

They're quite a bit cheaper from hmv.co.jp, in case you like it and want to get the Astral Weeks and His Street Band And Choir remasters too.

As far as I know the current US CD has the incorrect mix. I've heard rumors of a secret US remaster, but my original US CD had the no-tambourine version. Steve's original post in this thread has the full story.

- Joe

18. Thanks Joe! I just spent more money! :) (it is for a good cause though...better SOUND!)

I haven't come across a secret remaster yet...

19. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Picked up a SS copy of the Dusty and Sweets LP about a year ago and today at a local record store sifted through about ten Moondance LPs (mainly Palm Tree labels), before finding and settling on a W7 -1A copy ($5) to go with my W7 -1D copy purchased too many years ago.

This forum is GREAT!

20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Are these Warner Japan CD remasters those from 2008? Which Van Morrison titles were done? Are there many members who agree that the sound quality is excellent?

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Request for a bump.

Is this still in print (the version we cut at 180 grams for WB?)

22. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Yes. The CD with the tambourine "Into The Mystic" is WPCR-75420.

23. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

into the mystic of the moondance lp is the last lp my local radio station in san diego (101kgb) would play on air, well into the 90s. i have no idea why they never had the cd, but whenever they would play into the mystic even in the late 90s it was always the lp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.