Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #1)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

No. I presume you are referring to the recording found at the following link. I would have owned more Furtwangler's recordings had they not been all monaural.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Sym...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226341570&sr=1-1

2. fadingcaptain

fadingcaptain Active Member

How does the Red Book layer sound on this? I don't have an SACD player, but I might pick this up, as I have only heard the 1997 recording. Thanks.

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

4. john greenwood

I have the Starker SACDs which I treasure. I just ordered guitar transcriptions of three of the suites.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Transc...r_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226343351&sr=1-10

(URL is to Amazon because of the information provided, but you can buy it for much less from mdt.co.uk)

5. coopmv

6. coopmv

Looks like I am not the only one who still does not have an SACD player. I have close to 150 SACD titles but can only play the redbook layer.

7. john greenwood

No - I was making a weak attempt at humor. I assume it's simply an error by Amazon.com. The box has the DG label on it.

8. coopmv

I probably already own some of her solo recordings included in this set. But the set is still worth getting since over half of my recordings are duet of her with either Mischa Maisky or Gidon Kramer.

9. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Attached Files:

10. coopmv

Now playing Mozart: Horn Concertos Nos. 1-4, Neville Marriner, Barry Tuckwell: Academy of St. Martin in-the-fields

Attached Files:

11. coopmv

Isn't that a French company? I have a number of delightful CD's on Calliope, which I believe is a French label. I also have a good number of recordings (both LP's and CD's) on the ERATO label. DG and Philips are always the status quo record companies that rarely innovate. It is always the small companies that bring excitement to new recordings.

12. coopmv

Just received my 5th version of JS Bach St Matthew Passion. Here it is: the top one is the one I bought.

Now can someone tell me the difference between these two releases. I think they are parallel releases - both have exactly the same cast.

BTW, my version says WarnerClassics while the other one is TELDEC.

Attached Files:

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Why don't you get one?

14. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

since it costs about the same as about 15 of those SACDs....

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Why buy SACDs then?

EDIT: Wait. You're not Stuart.

16. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

yeah I think we're saying the same thing

hold off on your next 15 SACD purchases and buy something to listen to them on!

17. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Warners is primarily a reissue label now. I would bet money that is the same exact release.

18. coopmv

First, I am not so convinced if multi-channel setup is so wonderful. Second, my wife is not too crazy about having those rear-channel speakers taking up more space in the living room, not to mention that subwoofer, which tends to be big and bulky.

19. coopmv

I think they are the same exact release, as I look at the cast for each version carefully. What I find unusual is, the TELDEC version is still available, though it is more expensive. Perhaps this is a special arrangement between TELDEC and Warner since the latter really does not have a classical label, though I thought Nonesuch was part of Warner. But is Nonesuch still around?

20. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Yes, it's a French company, run by Myriam Scherchen, daughter of conductor Hermann Scherchen. They put out a lot of interesting historical stuff.

21. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I don't have an SACD player either, but I thought it played on two channel systems.

22. clogs

clogs New Member

Coop, you don't have to outfit your system for multi. SACD's sound (if mastered well, that is) marvelous in regular two channel stereo.
    For classical, the rear speakers are usually just for ambience, anyway. I mean, who wants to sit in the middle of the orchestra? I surely don't. A system with good to excellent resolution will definitely enhance your listening experience.
    Also, there are small profile subs that turn the trick.
    Check out Bob Carver's latest iteration. It's getting rave reviews in TAS.

23. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Where would I find the IPS marking?

24. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Earlier:

Composer Beethoven
    Work Symphony No. 3
    Performer(s) BPO/HvK
    Medium and Label CD/DG 429 039-2
    Date of performance 1962

Composer Villa-Lobos
    Work Bachianas Brasileirias No. 4
    Performer(s) New World Symphony/Michael Tilson Thomas
    Medium and Label CD/RCA 09026-68538-2
    Date of performance 1996

25. coopmv

Sure, I can play all my hybrid SACD's on my regular CDP's. But I cannot experience the SACD sound since my regular CDP's can only play the stereo layer on the disc. I also bought 2 non-hybrid SACD's by mistake, which I cannot play until I have an SACD player. The non-hybrid SACD does not have a stereo layer. I think there are 2-channel SACD players out there. I just have not made up my mind as to whether I want to get one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.