What's your fav local record store/s, if your town still has one

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Rachael Bee, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlanning

rlanning Forum Resident

We've got a couple of places to go in Asheville, NC. My favorite is Harvest Records in West Asheville. Real cool guys and a real laid back place to shop.

http://www.harvest-records.com/

2. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Boo Boo! :thumbsup:

So 'twas you put that Keely Smith cover up there eh? Thanks! :D

3. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Brass City Records in Waterbury, CT.

4. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

"WASSER BOMBES" !

Basically I'm a dumba$$ in Deutch but I could proably command U-571 after all these submariner movies... :)

5. Rachael Bee

Now there's a joint within my driving range. Next time I'm up that way I might go harvestin'.

6. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Back in the seventies in my neighborhood near Chicago there were three independent stores all within a 10 minute ride. Heck, one of them was right down the block from my High School. A half hour drive east and there was Rolling Stones Records. Twenty minutes northwest was the mall which had MusicLand and Disc Records. The only one left is Rolling Stones and I havent been there in at least 20 years after moving farther and farther west of the city.
    Out in the area I'm in now is Kiss the Sky Records about 20 minutes away. They're on the expensive side though, and there's also Disc Replay with three locations, and they sell used CD's. But the last few times I've been there I've noticed the the CD section becoming smaller while the DVD section is getting bigger. Sign of the times I guess...

7. Rachael Bee

It's time to get the surviving members of the Chicago 10 back together and picket!

8. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

:agree:

:righton:

:wave:

9. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller.

Underground Sounds-enough said.

10. Bill Barton

Bill Barton New Member

In Seattle, the two best ones as far as I'm concerned are:

Wall of Sound (they specialize in "edgy" music and have a great selection in a relatively small space)
    http://wosound.com/home.php

Everyday Music (a larger store with plenty of the more "mainstream" material)

Both are on Capitol Hill. The Jimi Hendrix statue on Broadway is right in front of Everyday Music's new location.

11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Do any of you lucky uSa music dudettes/dudes,..ever hop across to the next state/town for record hunting (better pickings) ?

12. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

A Winnipeg institution for over 20 years:

http://intothemusic.ca/

Very good prices, nice selection of new vinyl, excellent selection of quality used vinyl, friendly and knowledgeable staff, clean well-lit shop in a historic part of the city.

13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

If we had the $$$'s and the ability to get decent jobs out there, my wife and I would move to the San Fran area tomorrow. My wife for being that close to the wine and me for being that close to so many great stores, with actual worthy albums and CD's. Santa Barbara/Los Olivos area would be a close second, with L.A. only a few hours away!

Chris C

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

The only stores that actually sell vinyl near me arent that great. Gem City in Dayton & Half Price Books in Centerville.

15. reechie

reechie Senior Member

The only ones really left in Baltimore are the remnants of the Record & Tape Traders chain (not the same since they sold out to an outlet retailer, but the Towson store is still worth going to), and Soundgarden on Fells Point, which is still pretty good. They even added a dedicated vinyl room. Problem is, it's in tourist hell.

Normal's Used Books on East 31st St. has some nice old vinyl, but their stock doesn't change too much. Fun place.

True Vine on the Avenue in Hampden has some of the odd stuff like Joe Meek, and The Shaggs, etc., plus lots of old vinyl.

What I wouldn't give for an Amoeba or a Newbury Comics to open up out here. All you folks who complain about them where you are, count your blessings. They could go away... :shake:

16. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

In Orlando, the best is Park Ave CDs with Rock and Roll Heaven second. Park Ave CDs has a fantastic staff and their vinyl section is growing all the time. They have an incredible selection and carry very cool indie store exclusives and host in store performances. They seem to be doing well and I hope they are around forever. They actually seem to be improving in a climate where the big chain stores' music selection are in rapid decline. Goes to show people still love to buy music when sold knowledable, friendly people.

17. BNell

BNell Forum Resident

Mr. Cheapo's in Mineola, NY (Long Island)
    Gerosa Records in Brookfield, CT

18. World of Genesis

World of Genesis Active Member

I love San Fran... I'm totally jealous. We have crap here in New Jersey. There are a few smaller stores and Princeton Record Exchange, but otherwise nothing that I am aware of except FYE and Best Buy. :thumbsdn:

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Rachael Bee,

In Knoxville, you also have South Knoxville Antique Mall on Chapman Highway and you have The Book Eddy on Chapman Highway for vinyl sources. Both have Jay Nations booths and several other booths with vinyl! :righton:

20. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

In Madison my favorite is still MadCity Music Exchange. They never gave up on vinyl and I've been going there for years.

B-Side, Strictly Discs, Sugar Shack, Resale all get some of my money and they each offer something the others don't. There's at least 3 other places I don't shop, usually for no other reason then I'm out of money.

I get a lot of my second shopping done at the 2 Half-Price Books locations and the thrifts. The HPBs just got in a huge '50-'60's jazz collection that they've spread across the area stores. I've snagged some great stuff over the past week.

One of my favorite spots for now I like to keep a secret. I always find great stuff in really nice shape and I'm not quite ready to share yet.

21. annewithane

annewithane New Member

My favorite here in Seattle would have to be Golden Oldies in Wallingford, I love that place. Second is Silver Platters, various locations although my favorite one by Southcenter closed recently :( Third would be Easy Street. And I know there's more I haven't gotten to yet, thank goodness we have quite a selection here :D

22. storrs19

storrs19 Life is Mono

We are lucky here in Louisville, Kentucky in that we still have two that I frequent. They are Underground Sounds on Highland Avenue and Ear-X-Tacy on Bardstown Road. They both carry a wide selection of records and cd's and many imports. I used to frequent C's Records owned by Clarence Lidster on Dixie Highway but he closed about a year ago. He had a massice collection of used 45's as well as hard to find cd's.

23. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Grimeys in Nashville, TN...every other Friday I'm buying.

24. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

The Triangle area options are contracting continually. We have single location of Schoolkids and it ain't much to write home about. Then we have a few locations for Nice Price Books. These have a reasonable selection and decent prices.

Finally, there is CD Alley in Chapel Hill. This is a tiny shop with an eclectic selection and quite a few, ahem, 'limited release' items. Prices are not attractive.

My solution is to fly to LA on business trips and to stop by Amoeba's every once in a while.

25. bw

bw Forum Resident

Shake It! and Everybody's Records in Cincinnati. Both great stores. Check them out if you are in town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.