Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #1)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Isn't Teldec part of Warner now?

FWIW - I have that recording on DVD-A (with the lamb cover). I don't listen to it as much as I might as my main system is 2 channel and not hooked up to a TV, so I rarely select something from my small handful of DVD-A discs.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

No doubt. I am in the mood for some nice solo singing by some very attractive women ... :winkgrin:

3. coopmv

That was what Eddie said. I have no clue when that transaction took place.
    I have avoided all DVD-A titles and stuck with SACD. There were a number of attractive titles released in the DVD-A format, though overall I was not impressed with the classical selections available in that format.

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Following the pattern :winkgrin:

Cecilia Bartoli
    Maria
    A tribute to Maria Malibran
    contains music by Bellini, Hummel, Mendelssohn et al.
    Decca CD 2007

[​IMG]

Once again, the great Cecilia offers us the absolute delight.
    Even if you are not opera fans you need to listen to this cd.

5. coopmv

The PentaTone recordings are quite amazing sonically, considering they were all originally recorded in the mid 70's. I already have a decent collection. I wonder if new titles will continue to hit the market?

6. coopmv

She is fabulous in this Handel Rinaldo CD set with Christopher Hogwood, which I just added to my sizable Handel Oratorio collection.

Attached Files:

7. coopmv

Anyone knows anything about this Bach recording by Elisabeth Schwarzkopf? What a beauty she was? I have the next CD.

Attached Files:

8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Pentatone

Copy that. Philips engineering at its finest.

New Pentatone SACD listed in the latest BBC Music mag--Chopin's two piano concertos by a young pianist named Sa Chen. Guess she didn't 'get the memo' that Lang Lang just released his take on that repertoire. Or, she's meeting his challenge. I think his playing is vulgar and his personality vapid. Next time you're at the bookstore, sit down and read his autobiography that came out over the summer. But hey, what do I know--the kid drew a crowd of 18,000 on a Tuesday night this summer to the Hollywood Bowl.

9. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Bach, JS
    Julliard String Quartet
    The Art of the Fugue
    Sony Classical

Excellent background music for writing

Attached Files:

10. coopmv

I don't own any recordings by these new artists and do not intend to. Julia Fischer and Hilary Hahn are as far as I would go. I have collection of recordings by masters such as Horowitz, Argerich, Berman, Gilels and I am set. I do not believe newer is better. IMHO, classical music has been in a steep decline in the talent department. Through much of the 1980's, the classical world has had a very deep talent pool in the vocal arena. That has pretty much dried up.

11. coopmv

Next: Elly Ameling: The Early Recordings, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 with Gustav Leonhardt: Collegium Aureum

The great Dutch connection. :righton:

Attached Files:

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

What a surprise!

I cannot see what is the other cd, but If you or anyone else has the Schwarzkopf Bach, it would be very interesting to hear some comments.

Let me admit my ignorance here and say that I had no idea that Schwarzkopf ever recorded Bach. :eek:

13. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

I hope so. The new stuff (Julia Fischer, etc.) isn't bad either. I hope they continue.

14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

It is interesting you point out Horowitz as a master as he is Lang Lang's obvious major influence. I'm one of those guys who finds the broad majority of Horowitz recordings 'vulgar', however amazing the technical aspects of his playing are. Different strokes for different folks. I do not believe newer is better, either; however, I am not an old-timer yet and I relish the opportunity to hear performers of the current age in concert, where the 'real magic' takes place. Some are better than others. I doubt I'll hear a better Bach recital on piano than Anderszewski's. And I am very fortunate to have Maestro Dudamel coming to conduct the LA Phil later this month: Richard Strauss's Alpine Symphony and Four Last
    Songs with Christine Brewer (do you like her?). That is going to be a fantastic concert.

15. coopmv

The top CD shown in that post is the Bach CD, which I just ordered an hour ago. I have the bottom CD, which is a set with 2 CD's. The set is just an assortment of works Schwarzkopt recorded over her career. Schwarzkopt recorded Bach St Matthew Passion a number of times with HvK and Otto Klemperer. She also recorded Bach Mass in B minor with HvK, which I have.

16. coopmv

I have heard of Christine Brewer, though I am not familiar with her repertoire. The only American female vocalists I have been keeping up with over the years are Sylvia McNair, Judith Nelson, Arleen Auger, Lorraine Hunt and I have a lot of their recordings.

17. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

How is she as a Bach singer?

My idea of Schwarzkopf is that of a great Mozart and lieder vocalist
    (of course this might sound as an insult, but I don't mean to underestimate her, no doubt that she is great in other thing too)

but for some reason I never associated her with Bach.

18. coopmv

I think Schwarzkopf was an excellent peformer in Bach choral works. Otherwise, she would not have recorded Bach Mass in B minor multiple times.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical...ame_role1=2&bcorder=2&name_id=527&name_role=1

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

20. coopmv

I just hope they continue to release some works by the likes of Arthur Grumiaux and Henryk Szeryng, those past masters with a level of virtuosity that current generation violinists can never hope to match.

21. coopmv

The great Dutch soprano Elly Ameling, who has long been associated with German lieder, is also a great performer when it comes to Bach and Handel oratorios.

22. coopmv

Here is the Bach Mass in B minor with HvK, Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, etc and the Vienna Symphony Orchestra (not the more famous Vienna Philharmonic). It is monaural but the sound is quite good and clean for a 56-year old recording. Her recording of Bach St. Matthew Passion with Otto Klemperer is excellent. Some people actually consider it to be the best St. Matthew Passion ever recorded.

Attached Files:

23. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I agree with your sentiment, but I prefer to think of it thus: I want Grumiaux and Szeryng's work released because of their personal style. I'm not at all sure the virtuosity isn't matched by at least some current artists, but styles have definitely changed. It's analogous for me to wanting Humphery Bogart's film acting in circulation because he's Bogart, not because there aren't equally talented actors around today. At least that's my perspective.

But, again, I totally share with your hope.

24. coopmv

5-String: I am finishing up listening to this Bach Mass in B minor recording. The last movement with the duet between Kathleen Ferrier and Elisabeth Schwarzkopf is just splendid with some of the most inspirational singing I have ever heard. Monaural sound can indeed be beautiful with the right performers.

25. coopmv

5-String: BTW, this CD set has been re-packaged and now has a different look.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.