What's your fav local record store/s, if your town still has one

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Rachael Bee, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

For a city as small as Dayton, Gem City Records isn't bad (I agree--it's not great, but not horrible either).

Plus, Cincinnati's not far away, and there are two decent indie stores there:

Shake It
    Everybody's

2. TimJo

TimJo New Member

I used to go there all the time in the early 80's digging through the used vinyl in the back room. We probably crossed paths.

Also Cheap Thrills. Is it still there? I worked for the owners of Cheap Thrills in his wholesale warehouse on Prado Road - filled to the brim with cutouts and overstock. Brings back lots of memories...

3. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

4. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Another vote for Cactus here in Houston. Lots of vinyl. Lots of live music in store and free beer at the in stores!

5. waynenet

waynenet New Member

Vortex Records, Eglinton and Yonge St. Toronto, Canada. Lots of vinyl at reasonable prices and of course CD's and DVD's...

[​IMG]

6. art

art Senior Member

All in the Detroit area:

Dearborn Music
    Melodies & Memories
    Car City
    Record Collector
    Record Time
    Street Corner Music

7. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Plaza Wuxtry Records in Carbondale, IL. He doesn't screw you in prices. Very fair.

8. Buzzcat

Buzzcat Bankrupt Radio Lifer

Now you got me really thinking. Seems you've named every place in Madison.

Still I agree about MadCity. When I get into the city, that's where I go.

My main haunt is out in Watertown. Fox Music Company. "On 1st street just north off of main," as I always say on my plug for them.

That place rocks. Although thanks to the economy, they've moved all the vinyl upstairs and opened the entire lower floor up to an antique mall of sorts. They too are doing whatever they can to stay afloat. The upstairs is coming together. Still, I head out there every Saturday afternoon. Scott & Tina is good people. Apparently they're fans of our show since they want to hear it each week there.

9. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

Is that the place with a ton of 45's?

Great shop if it's the one I'm thinking of. I need to head out there more often.

10. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Two for Me Paul's CDs in Bloomfield, which has a nice selection of new vinyl, and of course:

Attached Files:

11. 905

905 Senior Member

I used to live close to CD Reunion in Hazelwood, MO. I still visit there.

12. Dr Records Orono Maine
    He sells used vinyl, CDs.
    With the University of Maine Orono just a mile away, he always has plenty for sale.
    Check it out when in the area!

13. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

In Las Vegas we have Zia's & Record City, the real collectable stuff however goes on ebay.

14. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

For a market as large as Dallas/Fort Worth, we seem short on good record stores. Aside from the Half Price Books locations, which are very hit & miss, I have found:

Docs Records & Vintage in Hurst (decent selection and reasonable prices)
    Forever Young in Arlington (large selection but overpriced)

Anyone have other recommendations?

15. tps

tps Forum Resident

My favorite is Princeton Record Exchange, about a 45 minute drive from my house.
    http://www.prex.com/

16. We're spoiled in the Bay Area with Rasputin's, Amoeba and a slew of indies in the San Francisco area (although some have folded).

Rasputin's has five stores within an hour's drive of where I live while Amoeba has two. Although I don't like the inflated prices at the latter, I've found some good used deals at both.

17. Vintage Vinyl in U. City, Missouri. Good place for new vinyl and used CD's. Used vinyl is not always in the best condition and the selection isn't that great--maybe they sell the valuable stuff (and/or mint condition stuff) only on eBay?

18. kenrothman

kenrothman Senior Member

the remainders of a once-great boston scene...

planet in harvard sq
    cheapo in central sq
    nuggets in kenmore
    in your ear in central square and near berklee

newbury comics is where i shop the most... once they started with used stuff, they ate up a lot of the smaller shops.

bull moose is a nice small chain in northern new england (portsmouth, portland, etc)

19. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Although I'm from East Tennessee, I always enjoy making the long trek to Nashville. Where is Grimey's and how long has it been there?

There are 3 Nashville stores that come to mind:

1)Phonoluxe Records....the first store I ever visited in Nashville, and spent
    hours there. Had a great vinyl selection at one time, haven't been there in
    several years.

2)The Great Escape....2 stores, but the one downtown was always a great place to browse. Cd's, vinyl, comics, 78's. They also ebay a few things.

3)Lawrence Brothers.....This one is smack dab in the middle of downtown near Tootsie's Orchid Lounge and the original Ernest Tubb Record store. This place has lots of old vinyl that is still sealed. Definitely worth visiting if you are in the area. I seem to recall their prices being a bit steep, but as I mentioned, lots of the stuff was in it's original unopened cellophane.

When I was in college in Johnson City, Backdoor Records had a decent selection, but I think they are long gone.

20. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

Lots of good, local shops here in Portland... The one I miss the most (closed last year) was FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH RECORDS AND TAPES. I'd been going to that place since 1984 when WASP was there for an in-store signing :)

21. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

How about Brian's store in Vancouver?

22. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Rich,

You must not have visited True Vine's new location, which is just around the corner from the original location. The new store is a joke, with about 5 or 6 small rows of used rock LPs and barely a row or two of LPs for each of the other genres of music. It is nothing like the original store, which wasn't that great to begin with.

I'm just thankful that Joe's Record Paradise in Rockville, MD, is just an hour away.

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

23. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Records on Wheels in Dundas and for new lps I go to Alternative Audio (in the same city). The great record stores in Hamilton are now a thing of the past - two survive, but they are not my faves.

24. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

:righton: I always visit there whenever I am in St. Louis.

25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

In the Little Rock AR area, we have two -

Arkansas Record and CD Exchange in North Little Rock - good selection of vinyl in all price ranges. Also good selection of used and new CDs.

Been Around Records in Little Rock - good selection of vinyl, but most of it is not priced. Also a good selection of used CDs at decent prices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.