Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #1)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Picked up today with Borders 40% off coupon:
    Beethoven:piano Concerto No.5/Sonata No.28(Helene Grimaud)

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have not even bothered with my local Borders as I recalled the very sparse bins I saw a few months ago, even though I did find 2 CD's that I had wanted to get.

3. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Earlier

Composer Mozart
    Work Piano Concertos 23 K. 488 and 27 K. 595
    Performer(s) Rudolf Serkin/Columbia Symphony/Alexander Schneider
    Medium and Label CD/Sony 5128642
    Date of performance 1955

Now

Composer Beethoven
    Work Symphony No. 3, Op. 55 ("Eroica")
    Performer(s) NBC Symphony Orchestra/Toscanini
    Medium and Label LP/RCA Victor Red Seal Records/A High Fidelity Recording
    Date of performance Commemorative Edition/Toscanini Tour/1950

Is this part of a lp box set? Or were they sold separately? Thanks!

Here is the 1st. Same as my 3rd except that my cover is dark green:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arturo-Toscanin...temQQimsxZ20081024?IMSfp=TL081024104004r13321

PS My label seems to be a more brownish color as well.

4. coopmv

Here's the last of the CD's that arrived in the last order I have yet to listen to.

Attached Files:

5. coopmv

Now playing: Rachmaninoff: A Window in Time by Sergei Rachmaninoff

Attached Files:

6. coopmv

Next: Vivaldi: The Four Seasons [Hybrid SACD], Janine Jansen

Attached Files:

7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

That disc really helped me understand and appreciate the artistry of Rachmaninov. Especially the Prelude in G Minor - he leaves all others in the dust IMO.

8. coopmv

Every now and then, I still find it refreshing to come back to Rachmaninoff's music, as that was how I got started in classical music - got hooked on the romantic music by Rachmaninoff and Tchaikovsky.

9. coopmv

Vladimir Horowitz was often called the last romantic during his lifetime. I wonder if that had anything to do with his lifelong close friendship with Rachmaninoff.

10. coopmv

Anyone here into opera? My interest in opera is primarily limited to Wagner's. Most of my operas are on LP's, though I have bought a bunch of operas on CD over this past year, including the Complete Ring Cycle by Karl Bohm.

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Tchaikovsky was one of my firsts, too: #6 conducted by Lenny B.

12. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

PentaTone is distributed by Naxos in No. America. Decca, Philips, and DG by Universal. EMI Classics and Virgin Classics by EMI. Sony Music has Sony Classical and Red Seal. Allegro is the fifth major classical distributor in No. America, with a wide variety of small labels under its umbrella. (Warner Music Group exited the classical business in 2006, although it is still releasing repackages of old Teldec titles.) PentaTone was founded by former engineers of Philips legendary Dutch recording studio after Polygram was bought by Universal in 1998. There is no affiliation between PentaTone and Philips.
    PS. Re Julia Fischer, when I wrote earlier 'one more SACD and that's it', I was referring to her future label Decca's abandonment of hi-rez. Her forthcoming PentaTone release will be SACD, but barring some kind of miracle it will be the last for Miss Fischer for at least a while. Universal Classics hasn't put out an SACD in three years.

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I like a couple of Mozart's operas, Die Zauberflote and Le Nozze di Figaro. Also, La Boheme and La Traviata and Madame Butterfly. I couldn't get much past those.

I would say I cannot imagine how someone could sit through The Ring cycle, but I have done it twice, once in German and once in English. I did not stay awake throughout.

14. Those long, long stretches of recitative in The Ring can get tedious for sure. I like the music though.

15. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Puccini

Now playing:
    • Puccini: La Boheme - Herbert von Karajan/Berliner Philharmoniker, Mirella Freni (soprano), Luciano Pavarotti (tenor)

Many regard this is as the finest version of the ultimate Italian opera. Recorded in Berlin, October 1972 and released on Decca.

16. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I am a big opera fan.

Wagner and Puccini are my favorites but I like almost everything. I also have a pretty decent collection of Lps and cds (around 500 or so).
    For some strange reason I haven't come across any operas in SACD.

My most recent purchase is the Keilberth Ring from Testament. A worthy but rather pricey purchase. This is of course a very important recording not only because it is the very first stereo Ring recorded live at the Bayreuth in 1955 but also because of the great cast and the powerful conducting of Keilberth.

Since you like Wagner, I would definitely recommend to get it, especially now that the price has been reduced.

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I have that one. I like it as much as any non-Mozart opera, but I don't play it much other than just before Christmas. I'm not an opera queen, I guess.

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Wagner

I can't wait to hear it, although Amazon still lists the entire four-opera set at full $207 list price. Of course, there is also Testament's ltd. ed. vinyl box--a cool $600 for that.

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I'm not an opera buff, but I do enjoy the 'best' versions of famous operas. I've still never been to a live performance, but I'll get to it. Wagner's Ring will be staged in LA in 2010. And it just so happens that I get all of my opera
    recommendations from an 'opera queen'--Mel at Record Surplus is the best. He loves his divas, Renee Fleming especially.

20. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Composer Dmitri Shostakovich
    Work Symphony No. 8
    Performer(s) Concertgebouw/Bernard Haitink
    Medium and Label CD/ London 411 616-2 (West Germany Pressing)
    Date of performance 1982

Good morning.

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

It is still expensive, but I payed more when I got the sets individually. As for the ltd ed. vinyl, I can only dream :shake:

22. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

That's a great performance. These early West German Decca/London Cds are sweet!

23. I usually make time for La Boheme around Christmas. I like the singing if the young Freni/Pavarotti very much, but I don't care for the slow "elongated tempi" that Karajan uses. To me this opera should clip right along and let the singers make ot or break it.

My favorite La Boheme is the older Gigli/Albanese/La Scala Opera Orchestra version, which I have on 78's. Naxos has released it though.

Tebaldi/Bergonzi/Accademia Di Santa Cecilia is good too. Despite having that huge, voluptuous voice, Tebaldi could be a very effective Mimi.

24. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I was listeniong to a little earlier,

Favourite Chopin / Ashkenazy Decca 410 180 2 CD

Simon :)

25. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

An excellent disc, I am a fan of dear Lionel's Bach recordings :righton:

Simon :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.