Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #1)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Tristan
    La Boheme
    Turandot
    Wozzeck
    Lulu
    Moses und Aron
    St. Francis of Assisi
    Butterfly
    War & Peace
    The Fiery Angel
    Boris Godunov
    Khovanschina
    Ruslan & Ludmilla
    Vanessa
    Griffelkin
    What Next?
    Suor Angelica
    The Devils of Loudon
    Don Giovanni

and lots more!!!!!

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I'm listening to another version of Schubert's Die Schone Mullerin, by Ian Bostridge. I have only heard Peter Schreier's version with Andras Schiff before this, and while I usually favor "firsts," I'm enjoying this new (to me) version. Bostridge has a beautiful tenor, and soars on those extended syllables in a way I'm not used to hearing.

BTW, does anyone know if there's a technical term or name for when a singer holds such a sustained note?

3. Legato? The binding of sound to sound in a smooth unbroken fashion?

4. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Mozart

Now playing:
    • Mozart: The Violin Sonatas - Anne-Sophie Mutter with Lambert Orkis (piano)

DG 2006, four-disc set.

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Femata?

6. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Earlier

Composer Abbess Hildegard of Bingen
    Work A feather on the breath of God: Sequences and Hymns
    Performer(s) Emma Kirkby:angel:/Gothic Voices/Christopher Page
    Medium and Label CD/Hyperion 66039 (Japan Pressing)
    Date of performance 1981

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

It is a step up for Julia Fischer since Decca has been the label for classical recording artists in the big league.

8. coopmv

Just received the following: Telemann 12 Fantasias for Violin Solo & Five Violin Concertos
    Arthur Grumiaux, Iona Brown/Academy of St Martin

Attached Files:

9. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Now

Composer Anonymous
    Work Gregorian Chant: Graduale Romanum/In Conceptione Immaculata B. Mariae Virginis
    Performer(s) Choralschola Der Wiener Hofburgkapelle/Pater Hubert Dopf S.J.
    Medium and Label CD/Philips 411 140-2 (West Germany Pressing)
    Date of performance 1983

'Evening Stuart and George.

10. coopmv

It is way too much to get through the Ring Cycle on one day.

11. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Is 2006 the recording date Eddie?

12. coopmv

Ian Bostridge actually has a PhD ...

http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Bio/Bostridge-Ian.htm

13. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

[​IMG]

I have "sicked" the best on finding the recording date on the above recording. No, not Joe Friday. Better. My and George's friend Harry from the Netherlands. I believe he owns the entire cd DG library....really.

14. coopmv

If anyone who can afford to own the entire DG library, it has to be the Siemens family which at one point owned DG.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Deutsche-Grammophon

15. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Mutter's Mozart

Wow, that is crazy. Respect! Lol.

Re Anne-Sophie Mutter's traversal of Mozart's violin sonatas

Yes, the four-disc set was recorded 2/2006 in Munich. It was one of three Mutter releases in '06 to coincide with Mozart's 250th birthday celebration, the other two are: a) a single-disc selection of Piano Trios with Andre Previn on piano (can't recall cellist), and b) a double-disc collection of the five Violin Concertos + Sinfonia Concertante (can't recall supporting cast).

All three are superb! Not a dud in the batch, although I (slightly) prefer the Florestan Trios takes on the Piano Trios. You need this music in one form or another. Classicstoday.com sings the praises of all three, too, btw.

16. coopmv

I guess Mozart's 250th birthday was celebrated the world over. John Eliot Gardiner and his English Baroque Soloists gave a concert in Purchase, NY in connection with the birthday. I could have attended the concert but decided against it since I am no big fan of Mozart works. JS Bach is still my most favorite composer and I have some 800 recordings of his various works. Mozart, a tad under 100.

17. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I don't know if it fits the theme, but here we go:
    Anthony Davis
    Episteme
    Gramophone label

Attached Files:

18. coopmv

This is probably a very nice recording, made around the time after Emma Kirkby had made a number of highly acclaimed recordings with the Academy of Ancient Music and Christopher Hogwood on the L'Oiseau label.

19. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Broke the cell seal on this one tonight:

Composer Beethoven
    Work Overtures
    Performer(s) Wiener Philharmonic/Leonard Bernstein
    Medium and Label LP/DG 2531 347 (West Germany Pressing)
    Date of performance 1978, '80, & '81 ?

Not too shabby for $4.

20. coopmv

Beethoven symphonic works conducted by LB with the VPO are generally excellent. I love my Beethoven Symphonies by Bernstein and the VPO. Catalog number DG 2531 347 was probably from the early to mid 70's.

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'm a big fan of the Serkin/Schneider Mozart recordings, better in every way--except for lacking stereo, if you insist on it--than the comparatively limpish things he did with Abbado late in life.

As to the Toscanini: his late '40s-early '50s series of Beethoven sym. recordings was issued both as singles and in box form. I don't think it's ever been out of print. Avoid any "fake stereo" issues; all were originally mono. Covers, of course, varied over the years; a common form from early on has a mess of photos of Toscanini against a black background. Sonically, they were not "state of the art" even when new, but as performances they remain the standard by which I judge other recordings (which is not at all to say that they invariably *trump* other recordings). Some argue that they are, on the whole, inferior to what Toscanini achieved with the NBCSO in the late '30s, issued as a cycle on various labels such as Music and Arts (but not intended for records--those are radio broadcast recordings), but I still find them intensely satsifying. That said, Toscanini's account of no. 7 with the Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York, set down in the mid '30s on 78s, is widely regarded as being as close to a "definitive" account as that work has received on records, and you would do well to scare up a good transfer if you can't play 78s--if you can, it's hardly a rare or expensive set.

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It's never performed all in one day, is it? That's what I was talking about, live performance, rather than listening at home.

23. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I googled "femata," and found a link to "fermata" (note the "r"). And yes, that seems to be what I was asking about. Thanks, George.

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Here is what I listened to last night

Historic Organs of England
    E. Power Biggs
    contains works by Tallis, Dunstaple, Handel, Purcell, etc.
    Columbia Masterworks LP Record

This is a great recording by E. Power Biggs, the man who revived the organ in the 20th century. It is recorded in various locations in England and as the title says Biggs plays various famous historic English organs, such as those of the Adlington Hall, Cheshire, the Chapel of Staunton Harold, Leicestershire etc.

Unfortunately, very few of E. Power Biggs' recordings have been transferred on cd and that is a shame.

25. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

I'm looking for Beethoven's 6th and 9th Symphonies. Anybody know how this is:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Sym...=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1226587995&sr=1-8

I recently bought Symphonies 5 and 7 on RCA Living Stereo conducted by Reiner and they are stunning! Then last night I heard parts of the 6th and 9th and I have to have them! Good for putting on a Christmas wish list.

Any recommendations on No. 6 and 9?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.