Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #1)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Verdi
    Falstaff
    HvK/Philharmonia
    EMI
    1999 remaster

2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Don't know the particular recordings, but they will almost certainly be very different from Reiner interpretations. Try before you buy, I'd say. Reiner himself did record the 9th, and a good recording it is, too. In the 6th (as suggested above), I'm a Toscanini man, and if you like Reiner, you'll likely love Toscanini--but note that it's not stereo. You actually have 2 choices made for records (and who knows how many radio broadcasts) from which to choose, and many prefer the mid-'30s account with the BBC SO from the 78 era over the NBC SO account from ca. 1950. If you can stomach early electric era sound, Weingartner's account of #6 is another of my favorites. For "modern" all-around satisfying recordings, I'd also strongly consider the Masur SACD recordings on Pentatone, esp. of the 9th.

Edit: Reiner also recorded #6 w/ the CSO, but I'm not familiar with that record.

3. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

Thanks! I am looking for best sound/performance I can on CD or SACD Hybrid.

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

re: Beethoven: The Nine Symphonies [BOX SET] conducted by Zinman, how is the packaging? Five individual CDs in five individual jewel boxes, just like the single CDs? I hate a lot of box set packaging because it's so damned clumsy, especially those digipak "books." Am I safe ordering the Zinman box set, or should I go for individual CDs?

Thanks.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I 've heard these Giulini performances and they are very good, especially the 9.

6. George P

You should be able to find these cheap individually. I am not sure about the box, but if it's in separate cases, it could get heavy and thus expensive to ship.

7. George P

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I agree with George.

The individual discs can be found easily and for cheap. My local Borders has them for 4.99.

I haven't seen the box yet.

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

10. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

My box has five individual CDs in five individual jewel boxes. The outer "box" is just thin, lightweight cardboard.

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Great. That's just the answer I was hoping for.

12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Wow... this thread moves fast.

After receiving recommendations from a few of you (thanks!) and checking out some brief sound clips on Amazon, I decided to really dive in and make the following purchases:

Shostakovich String Quartets Decca 6 CD Set
    Arvo Pärt: Fratres
    Arvo Pärt: Tabula Rasa
    Arvo Pärt: Berliner Messe [DVD Audio]
    Ginastera: Piano Concertos Nos. 1 and 2
    Edgard Varese: Complete Works Vol. 1

I am excited about receiving all of these. Interestingly, I think Ginastera (whose name I recalled by way of Keith Emerson) most matches what I was attempting to describe, but as you can see I was really captivated by the music I heard from Arvo Pärt. From what I can tell, the Ginastera material at time sounds violent and abrasive just as I recall "contemporary classical" sounding. While Arvo Pärt's music seems incredibly melancholy, fitting in my collection well with Gorecki's Symphony No. 3 which I very much like.

I've been curious to hear Varese since having heard Zappa say so much about him, and from the little I was able to hear so far, I can easily hear the influence in Zappa's compositions.

Those who suggested Shostakovich seemed also to be spot-on. While it may be tough to judge works such as these by 30-second snippets, I could clearly hear that I am going to enjoy much of his work.

From what I can tell, these are four composers with completely different styles, but each fascinates me in their own way. Thanks for the help! Now I'm just eager for all of this stuff to arrive at my doorstep (along with the two multichannel recordings of Carmina Burana I also ordered).

13. George P

Enjoy! Is that the Fitzwilliam QT set?

14. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Indeed it is. Not sure what it goes for regularly, but I got it at $10.99 shipped. Even if they're not the best recordings, I figure I can't beat that for an introduction to so much music at once.

15. George P

I haven't heard that set, but you are correct. A great price!

16. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Are we supposed to start a Classical Corner v.2 when we reach 1000 posts?

17. George P

I think the Gorts do it for us. Should happen automatically, according to Gary. I'll give it another 24 hours, then I will PM him if they haven't started volume 2.

18. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Take a vacation to Bayreuth, the Mecca for Wagner's operas.

19. coopmv

I have the Zinman's Beethoven cycle, it is pretty good.

20. drh

drh Talking Machine

...but if you want tickets to the festival, you'd better start planning at least several years in advance....

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

You know, I just remembered another Beethoven sym. cycle that might repay exploration for those seeking a good one: Janos Ferencsik. These were reissued on the super-budget LaserLight label back in the mid-'80s, give or take, to considerable critical approbation. I think they were on Hungaroton before that, but I could be mistaken. They should be available for absolutely dirt cheap. (Note: I vaguely recall that, in the interests of fitting the set onto fewer discs, LaserLight may have shorn some of repeats that were present in the earlier, more pricey incarnation. Some research would be in order.)

22. coopmv

I have the Wagner's overtures by Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra on a 2-LP set under the Columbia label but have never been able to find the recording on CD. It is very strange.

23. coopmv

Now playing Bach: Englische Suiten Nos. 2&3
    Ivo Pogorelich

Attached Files:

24. coopmv

Next: Chopin by Nissman

Attached Files:

25. coopmv

Last CD for the evening: Liszt: Sonata for piano in Bm; Transcendental Etude after Paganini in Bm S140/3

Jeanne-Marie Darré

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.