Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #1)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3 CD's in 15 minutes!:yikes::pineapple:

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Nothing too emotionally draining after a long workday. Piano pieces suit me just fine. I almost never play symphonic works during the week.

3. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Wow! You are moving fast! Great music! The one I don't know about is Ginastera. But if I get your mood right, you should check out Einojuhani Rautavaara, Cantus Arcticus. Incredible piece of music. On Ondine Label.

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

They used to do it in Seattle, actually. English one year, German the next. I don't think it's still going on, though maybe I'm wrong.

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

DFP? (Damning with Faint Praise?)

6. coopmv

Only Bayreuth has the real thing. Forget all other venues, even the Mets.

7. coopmv

While it is no HvK or LB, it is a decent recording with decent performance.

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Well, I didn't get to go to Bayreuth that year. (Not that I would travel to my next-door neighbor's to hear Wagner in the first place.)

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Which LB do you like?

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Today's shopping, all used:
    • Beethoven: Piano Concertos 1 & 2* + Rondo in C Major - Artur Schnabel with Malcolm Sargent/London Philharmonic Orchestra*, London Symphony Orchestra
      Naxos Historical 2001, Producer and Audio Restoration Engineer: Mark Obert-Thorn, all works recorded for HMV 1933.
    • Beethoven: Piano Concertos 3 & 4 + Bagatelle in A Minor 'Fur Elise' - Artur Schnabel with Malcolm Sargent/London Philharmonic Orchestra
      Naxos Historical 2001, same credits except recording dates 1932 and 1935
    • Britten: Cello Symphony* + Sinfonia da Requiem^ + Cantata Misericordium` - Benjamin Britten/English Chamber Orchestra with Mstislav Rostropovich (cello)*, New Philharmonia Orchestra^, London Symphony Orchestra & London Symphony Chorus with Peter Pears (tenor) and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (baritone)`
      Orig. London 1989 edition 'Made in West Germany' with aluminum-to-center, great find and awesome ADD sound., recrordings date from 1964 and 1965.
    • Mendelssohn: Octet + Boccherini: Cello Quintet - Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
      Orig. London 1989 'Weekend Classics' edition 'Made in USA' with aluminum-to-center, recordings date from 1968.
    • Richard Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie + Don Juan - Mariss Jansons/Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
      RCO Live SACD 2008.
    • Verdi: Messa da Requiem* + Cherubini: Requiem in C Minor - Riccardo Muti/Philharmonia Orchestra with Renata Scotto (soprano)*, Agnes Baltsa (mezzo-soprano)*, Veriano Luchetti (tenor)*, Evgeny Nesterenko (bass)*, Ambrosian Chorus (both works)
      EMI Classic 'Double fforte' 1995 edition (first?), recordings date from 1979 and 1982.

Also spotted some new releases, such as a new Angela Hewitt disc of Beethoven cello sonatas (forget the cellist's name), the second release in the Matthias Goerne Schubert cycle, and a a rare Pierre Boulez recording of Mozart (a serenade) plus an Alban Berg work with Mitsuko Uchida on piano.

11. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

• Booyah! I have them on Pearl thanks to George here. What was the difference of the transfers if you recall, George, as I believe you have the Naxos set like Eddie?

12. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Yesterday's listening:

Composer Mozart
    Work Divertimenti K. 205 & 247/Marches K. 248 & 290
    Performer(s) Academy Chamber Ensemble
    Medium and Label CD/Philips416 362-2 (West Germany Pressing)
    Date of performance 1985

and

Composer Beethoven
    Work Symphony No. 9
    Performer(s) Cleveland Orchestra/Cleveland Orch. Chorus/George Szell
    Medium and Label CD/CBS 42532
    Date of performance 1961

After a fresh listen to this I found it to be a bit too "brassy" for my liking. I usually enjoy Szell, just not here. I believe that the Cleveland Chorus was definitely the white horse riding in to try to save the day for this performance, as they were outstanding. However, even the soloists were not enjoyable for my listening, especially Adele Addison (soprano) who I found to come across as someone performing an SNL "opera" skit. No worries, Dohnányi would 20+ years later have Cleveland re-do with a version that I hold still to be my favorite.:agree: :D

13. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I don't recall the details, but IIRC, there was more surface noise on the Pearl. I think one of them had a strange noise, but I forget which.

14. George P

Interesting, Bill, as I did not like his 9th as much as the other symphonies in the series. I will revisit again, as I know it is highly regarded.

15. George P

Me, I am working through this:

[​IMG]

Nice full tone and a more romantic interpretation than any I have heard. I love it!

16. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Beethoven
    Symphonies 5 and 6
    Polish Chamber Philharmonic Orchestra
    Wojciech Rajski
    SACD Tacet S 164
    2008 release

Very much to my liking.

17. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

MALHER - Kathleen Ferrier / Bruno Walter
    Kindertotenlieder
    EMI Classics Reference
    1987 pressing, 1949 recording.
    Out-of-this-world voice.

Attached Files:

18. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I will definitely check that out, thanks. Of course, it'll be a little while from now - I think I more than maxed out what I should be spending this month. :)

19. [​IMG]

The London Festival Orchestra conducted by Stanley Black performing a film spectacular! Featuring music from My Fair Lady, Lawrence of Arabia, Cleopatra, Gone With The Wind, The Magnificent Seven, A Summer Place and On The Waterfront.

From the 42 year old original Decca analog master tapes, FIM used a special three-speaker stereo converter to create a third channel for the center fill from the two tunnels of sound heard. A special old mixer was then used to fine tune the sound. The result? Music with awesome breadth, height, depth, dynamics, and nuance, in all their glory!

Musicians:
    The London Festival Orchestra
    Stanley Black, conductor

Selections:
    1. Lawrence of Arabia
    2. On the Waterfront, Symphonic Suite
    3. Gone With the Wind - Tara's Theme
    4. The Magnificent Seven
    My Fair Lady Selections 5-9:
    5. I Could Have Danced All Night
    6. On The Street Where You Live
    7. The Rain in Spain
    8. Get Me to the Church on Time
    9. I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face
    10. Spellbound
    11. Anthony & Cleopatra
    12. A Summer Place

20. ... which prompted me to dig out some of my old Phase 4 Stereo recordings.

[​IMG]

21. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Today, I got Leroy Anderson Orchestral Works v. 3 on Naxos, by the BBC Concert Orchestra conducted by Leonard Slatkin. I bought it because I've wanted to have WCBS New York's "Early Show" and "Late Show" theme song forever. It's called "Syncopated Clock." Here's a version of it on youtube (not Slatkin's). New Yorkers of a certain age will recognize the tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dz5024jshs

I also got the new Collectors Edition of Warren Zevon's s/t first album on Asylum Records, which includes a whole disc of outtakes and alternate versions of some of my favorite songs of all time ("Carmelita," "Desperados under the Eaves," "Hasten down the Wind," "The French Inhaler").

Attached Files:

22. coopmv

The LB Complete Beethoven Symphonies with the VPO.

23. coopmv

24. coopmv

Just arrived today: JS Bach:Sonatas
    Ottavio Dantone, Luca Pianca, Viktoria Mullova

Attached Files:

25. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Maybe I'll get that instead. I can't remember if I used to have them or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.