Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member Thread Starter

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

HvK also recorded Missa Solemnis for EMI. I have the LP-set on Angels EMI, which was never my favorite record company due to the generally lousy quality of its records.

3. coopmv

It turns out the only Missa Solemnis I have on CD is the one by John Eliot Gardiner. I need to broaden my collection on this work.

Attached Files:

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, EMI is not a favorite in this household either.

I have the DG, so it sounds like I am set. :)

5. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Barbirolli is a favorite. A highly strung conductor who was able to coax the equally high strung Jacqueline du Pre into a truly great Dvorak Cello Concerto recording. Barbirolli was also a great Elgar champion. He recorded the Enigma Variations twice - the first one with his own orchestra was recorded by the Mercury Records minimal mike team whose US recordings are so highly sought. He also did a great Vaughan Williams cycle and a respected Brahms cycle (in Vienna, if I recall).

EMI had almost too many great conductors in the 50s/60s golden age. Barbirolli competed with Beecham and Boult and this was just in England. Beecham had a flashy public persona (a great wit) and Boult was the quintessential British personality and sometimes Barbirollia (and Malcom Sargent) was lost in the shuffle. Barbirolli's two most interesting, and unexpected, jewels are the following:

Grieg - Peer Gynt.
    Delius - various works

Sir Thomas Beecham is so regarded for discovering Delius that most people never listen to Barbirolli's versions, but I find them at least as interesting and somehow just a tad more moving. His Peer Gynt could have been recorded yesterday and it has the advantage of a full chorus - it's all terrific music, and he does the full score, not just highlights.

6. coopmv

Next: Chopin: Polonaises [Hybrid SACD], Alfred Brendel

Attached Files:

7. coopmv

EMI European pressings were generally fine in my LP-collecting days. It was EMI America - aka Angels that had horrendous qualtiy problems.

8. coopmv

Does anyone know if Vanguard is still releasing new SACD's?

9. George P

George P Notable Member

I should clarify that I was speaking purely of EMI CDs. Noise reduction ruined many a transfer that I heard. Haven't heard their LPs.

10. coopmv

The EMI English or German pressings sound great. I have the Furtwangler's Wagner overtures on EMI Electrola and the set has no noticeable surface noise. If and when I finally find the time to start digitizing my sizable LP collection, I will no doubt start with the Angels recording first since they are the worst when it comes to pops and clicks.

11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Barbirolli's recordings go back pretty early, too. I have a very nice account of Haydn's "London" Sym. that he did with the "John Barbirolli Chamber Orchestra" on early electric black-label Victors--alas, in wretched condition, and I've never seen another copy since I acquired it in 1981.

Better be careful about questioning the supremacy of Sir Thomas, however, lest some of our friends from across the pond take you to task.... ;)

12. coopmv

HvK's Missa Solemnis on EMI America label. It is a pain in you know what to take a picture of the LP.

Attached Files:

13. coopmv

You think a digital camera with good macro capability is best for taking picture of LP cover.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Did you try pointing the camera a bit to the left or right? So that the flash doesn't show up?

15. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I agree as the EMI set is not the best LP quality wise, I have not heard the DG though, Is there a Decca set?

Simon :)

16. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I tend to take pictures like this in good daylight, I just cannot get it right with a flash!!

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Same here. I sold most of them a long time ago, and haven't missed any of them.

18. drh

drh Talking Machine

Lookie what turned up at the thrift shop yesterday for 80 cents. This will be high on the list of things to play shortly in my household!

Attached Files:

19. kevinsinnott

:cheers: I'm a big fan of Sir Thomas Beecham. But, I think Barbirolli gets lost behind him and deserves to stand alongside him.

20. kevinsinnott

EMI has always been inconsistent sound-wise. I thought it was just the US Angel pressings, but I ordered a French EMI Debussy-Martinon set once and it was deplorable.

EMI has been cited for using NR on a lot of their CD reissues, but I find it's a case-by-case situation.

The sad thing is their miking has generally been consistently good. And, some of their cheapest Seraphim CD reissues are outstanding and sound like flat transfers.

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Listening right now:

Debussy - La Mer
    Ibert - Ports of Call
    Boston Symphony Orchestra
    Charles Munch
    Living Stereo RCA LP Record

Not my favorite performance of La Mer, but a great one nonetheless.

22. coopmv

I have not even checked if there is a way to turn off the integrated flash. My film cameras Leica M6 SE and Contax RTSIII are so much better than my Kodak point-and-shoot digital camera. Unfortunately, the film cameras are not useful when it comes to such application.

23. coopmv

It is not clear if that would have made much difference. I think the reflection problem was worsened by the black glossy background of the LP.

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

Mine is also a Kodak. Look for a button with a little lightning bolt by it. If yours is like mine, that will toggle between flash always on, automatic, and flash off; my camera, at least, defaults to "flash always on" when I turn on the camera. A glyph will appear in the view screen on the back of the camera to tell you which mode you've selected.

25. coopmv

Just looked up the owners manual. My Kodak works the same way. I never like the point-and-shoot camera with built-in flash much because there is no way for me to re-position the flash in situation when flash should be used but not directly on the object I want to photograph.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.