13th Floor Elevators - "Sign of the 3 Eyed Men" 10 CD Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by d.douglas, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Most confusing web site ever...

3. d.douglas

Yeah. Not much information there. I saw the boxset on the intro page and wanted to see if anyone else knew anything more.

4. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

The new Shindig magazine has info on it. 10 Cds including the 3 original albums - Psychedelic Sounds Of, Easter Everywhere, Bull Of The Woods ( not the Live cuz it was fake ) with mucho outakes,demos from them. Plus the other Cds full of REAL live performances, demos,outtakes, unreleased ect. Will have a large size 72 page book in the set and other goodies. It has been reported on other sites I post to that the sound on the advance promo is GREAT!, far far better than any previous rerelease of 13th Floor Elevators material. I am on lysergic pins and needles awaiting this MEGA monster!!

Jimmy B. likes this.
  5. d.douglas

What sites in particular? I am clueless when it comes to the garage rock online world.

6. rene smalldridge

There are a number of them BUT for sheer expertise and vast knowledge of 60s garage go to...................... finerecordingstudio.com/g45central Forum Index...........this is the resource for 60s garage music!

7. d.douglas

Thanks for the heads up! I am certain that I will be ordering this come march if these preview opinions are the least bit valid :)

8. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

count me in on this release if the sound is improved:righton:

9. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Where will it be sold?

10. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Thanks, some good stuff on this garage forum....much stuff that would be too obscure for a general discussion on the SH forum.

11. rene smalldridge

.................If the past is any indication I would venture to guess -
    Amazon
    Bomp website
    Direct from Charly online
    among others.

12. rene smalldridge

Yeah but I keep trying.

13. I'd like to get more into this kind of stuff, but there's so much of it out there it boggles the mind!

Anyway, if this Elevators set is any good I might have to take the plunge. I've been meaning to pick up one of the reissues but have kept getting put off by the ongoing SQ issues.

14. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Confusing? I'd say more like exasperating!:laugh:

Anyone know if a better source surfaced for the Golden Dawn album? I had no idea this was being reissued on December 1st---or so it claims.

:righton:

15. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Anybody here scored a copy of the promo yet?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  16. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

You can get one if you buy Charly's Bubble Puppy and Power Plant cds: http://www.burningshed.com/store/internationalartists/collection/295/country/222/

This is what's on the sampler:

1. You're Gonna Miss Me (Take 6) from CD 1 Headstone: The Contact Sessions
    2. Fire Engine (Take 8) from CD 1 Headstone: The Contact Sessions
    3. Roller Coaster (Live on Sumpin' Else TV Show) from CD 2 Live in Texas
    4. Reverberation (mono 45 mix) from CD 3 The Psychedelic Sounds of (mono)
    5. Tried to Hide (alternate stereo mix) from CD 4 The Psychedelic Sounds of (stereo)
    6. You Don't Know (Live at the Avalon) from CD 5 Live in California
    7. She Lives (In a Time of Her Own) (mono LP mix) from CD 6 Easter Everywhere (mono)
    8. Levitation (alternate stereo mix) from Easter Everywhere (stereo)
    9. Livin' On (full take with original vocals) from CD 8 A Love That's Sound
    10.May the Circle Remain Unbroken (alternate mix) from CD 8 A Love That's Sound
    11. Barnyard Blues (remastered) from CD 9 Bull of the Woods
    12. Shake Your Hips (live in 1973) from CD 10 Death in Texas
    13. You're Gonna Miss Me (take 6, vocal track only) from CD 1 Headstone: the Contact Sessions

I'm very interested in the Contact Records Sessions set - that was Gordon Bynum's label. Bynum recorded the monster garage/psych stomper You're Gonna Miss Me. Vocal track only for YGMM seems most interesting - could the backing tracks be on 2/3/4 tracks and a stereo mix be part of the deal? YGMM hasn't appeared before in a true stereo mix.

17. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Wait a minute...the boxset is going to have a vocal only You're Gonna Miss Me? I assumed this set would simply be a comp of everything already out there but if they have that then this just got much more interesting..

18. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

10 discs worth of 13th Floor Elevators action: http://www.60sgaragebands.com./newsnuggets.html

19. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I'm hoping things like the mono mixes are actually from the tapes, and not just copies of the fan discs flying around.

20. rene smalldridge

There is a new post up on the G45 Central Forum site from the person who worked on this boxset. He gives a few details on the extensive involvement by surviving band members and who is remixing and/or remastering what. Sorry I am unable to cut and paste it here but you can easily surf over there for the lowdown.

21. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

How bout a link then?

22. rene smalldridge

There ya go.

23. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Here it is:

---------------------------------------------------

psyps Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi, Paul Drummond here ....compiler ...I'm not going to say producer of the Elevators box set. Just wanted to put one thing straight Charly have had absolutely nothing to do with this box set apart from foot the bills. They own the rights and wanted to do this themselves but instead they let me (& Roky's manager take over, plus the band's blessing) approach it in a very Epicurean way... touch nothing unless it needed fixing. Charly have been brilliant, by not interfering...they just let me head to Texas and get on with it. The band's original engineer /producer, Walt Andrus was flown in from California to remaster and remix (where multi tracks existed) ....
    Re: YGMM Take 6 and all the Contact material - it has been out before but it was tampered with. This time it's straight off the tapes, with Walt producing (and on occasion Roky)-so forget what you heard twenty years ago....
    Apart from that it's almost everything that exists ....bar a couple of live tracks which I couldn't squeeze on- so they were left off in favour of unreleased material.
    Four possible sources held out on unreleased material. Not going to name and shame them, but they gave very feeable excuses considering the original band were involved in the project.
    The full colour book has to be £25/30 itself so the Cd's work out pretty cheap ? Every known poster/handbill and as many photos as could be licensed , begged , cajoled out of people over eight years...

24. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Here's the post:

"Hi, Paul Drummond here ....compiler ...I'm not going to say producer of the Elevators box set. Just wanted to put one thing straight Charly have had absolutely nothing to do with this box set apart from foot the bills. They own the rights and wanted to do this themselves but instead they let me (& Roky's manager take over, plus the band's blessing) approach it in a very Epicurean way... touch nothing unless it needed fixing. Charly have been brilliant, by not interfering...they just let me head to Texas and get on with it. The band's original engineer /producer, Walt Andrus was flown in from California to remaster and remix (where multi tracks existed) ....
    Re: YGMM Take 6 and all the Contact material - it has been out before but it was tampered with. This time it's straight off the tapes, with Walt producing (and on occasion Roky)-so forget what you heard twenty years ago....
    Apart from that it's almost everything that exists ....bar a couple of live tracks which I couldn't squeeze on- so they were left off in favour of unreleased material.
    Four possible sources held out on unreleased material. Not going to name and shame them, but they gave very feeable excuses considering the original band were involved in the project.
    The full colour book has to be £25/30 itself so the Cd's work out pretty cheap ? Every known poster/handbill and as many photos as could be licensed , begged , cajoled out of people over eight years..."

25. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.