Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Yesterday -

Bach
    Toccatas
    Hewitt

Today:

[​IMG]

2. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

This must be great. I don't have it but I have Hewitt's Well Tempered Clavier and I am enjoying it immensely. A great modern performance second only to Glenn Gould's.

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Hey I just noticed that the image of the cd is that of of Gould?

PS. I will make sure next time I will read the post more carefully.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

They complement each other well. Gould plays with so much joy that it's hard not to be happy when listening. Gould also has a dry sound. Hewitt's is a gorgeous Bach with luxurious sound.

I wish Richter had recorded more Bach. :love:

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I forgot about Richter. You 're right, his Well-Tempered Clavier is among the best.

6. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

No doubt - a friend of mine gave me the CD set when I fixed his computer for him. One of those sets that I can listen to anytime and instantly feel better. :edthumbs:

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

What was concertized?

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Can you refer us to the right recording?

9. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

WTC

I was excited to find in the bins an orig. Japan-for-Japan four-CD edition of Glenn Gould's WTC last month. Not necessarily better-sounding than the remaster, but a neat antique nonetheless. And a landmark recording, I agree. I'll still take Edwin Fischer's version to the desert isle, though!

10. George P

George P Notable Member

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

12. George P

George P Notable Member

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

The WTC I like most is Schiff's. The sound is more than decent. It may be due to imprinting, but I've never heard one I like as much, not even Gould's. Actually, I've never fallen in love with anything by Gould. I don't have anything by Richter, though. I'm not even sure I've even heard anything by him. And I was so disappointed by the Clara Haskil and Arthur Grumiaux box sets, I'm leery about buying any more old recordings.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

I can attest that those Haskil Grumiaux are probably the worst recorded classical CD I own. I own stuff from the 30s and 4Os too. I can also attest that Richter's Bach CD that I posted above, the red one, sounds great!

15. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Maybe I'll try the red one. The 4-CD gold set got a few one-star reviews on Amazon for bad sound, so I know I'm not going to buy it.

16. Jay F

Jay F New Member

The only old-sound CDs I ever play are the Mengelberg Mahler 4 and Bruno Walter's Mahler 9, both from live performances during the Holocaust. It's mostly because of the "we were there"-ness that I listen to these, though I actually like the Mengelberg interpretively. Other than that, I'm not big on old sound.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, I am not big on old sound at all, but for some special artists, especially pianists, I put up with it. Pianists like Schnabel, Cortot, Rachmaninov, Serkin and Geiseking.

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It was Giesking's Mozart Piano Sonatas that finally allowed me to hear the music (after listening to Uchida and Brendel), on these really old LPs that were held together by dowels. I no longer have them, nor have I bought Giesking's on CD.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

I am not a fan of Brendel, or as some call him, Brendull. :D

20. Jay F

Jay F New Member

It was hearing his Schubert D.960 in a record store that got me into classical in 1987, so he's anything but dull to me, generally speaking.

21. Sydney Symphony at the Sydney Opera House.

Viennese Classics
    ..........Beethoven - Symphony No.1 in C, Op.21
    ..........Mozart - Oboe concerto in C, K314
    ..........Schubert - Symphony No.6 in C, D589

Conductor: Lothar Zagrosek
    Oboe: Diana Doherty

22. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Richter

Re Richter WTC

When I was in Japan last January I bought the latest Japanese remaster (Books 1 & 2, four CDs, not issued in USA) of these fantastic performances. They were recorded in the early 70's but the sound is dreadful -- it can be a chore sitting through more than a few preludes and fugues, so those averse to that kind of thing take notice. Make no mistake, though, Richter's WTC is among my very favorite.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VICC-60601

23. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

One of the nicest collections ever recorded is Brendel's set of Haydn sonatas:

Attached Files:

24. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Brendel

Say what you will about Brendel's pianism, but IMHO his Schubert is exemplary, extraordinary. I like a 2001 Philips release, in particular, comprising some late sonatas. The live recordings magnify Brendel's complete mastery of this literature. I think I'll put it on tonight!

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Pian...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1228348225&sr=1-6

From Classicstoday.com -- Performance 9/10, Sound 7/10

25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes this is the one I have. I had no idea that it had been remastered. The original sounds fine.

As far as Brendel, I can see why some people might criticize his playing, his style some times can sound uninspiring, but I think there is more merit to it than most critics perceive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.