Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Great stuff. Elly Ameling, the great Dutch soprano, has always been one of my all-time favorite female soloists. I particularly enjoy her soprano singing in the 1976 Handel Messiah conducted by Neville Marriner with the Academy of St Martin. I have this recording on LP, open-reels and CD. Ameling is well-known for her German lieder.

2. coopmv

Great set. I have 2 of these twofers covering all the Schubert symphonies by HvK and the BPO.

3. coopmv

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have "An Die Musik" a Schubert disc she recorded with Dalton Balwin in 1983, and I really like it.

5. coopmv

Andreas likes this.
  6. coopmv

I have this set on works by Faure, inexpensive yet quite nice.

Attached Files:

7. coopmv

I have this set. The oldest recordings made by HvK.

Attached Files:

8. coopmv

Anyone owns this recording? If so, how does it sound?

Attached Files:

9. George P

George P Notable Member

I haven't heard that one, but I believe it came out before mine, so it's likely a different mastering.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

It's solo piano companion on the same label is incredible. Bogey can vouch for this as well. :righton:

11. coopmv

Sviatoslav Richter was supposed to be one of the great pianists of the 20th century and yet I have few of his recordings. This set will be a good starting point.

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

13. George P

George P Notable Member

14. coopmv

5-String: Thanks for the review link. This CD looks like a keeper and perhaps is the only HvK's Beethoven 9th recording with the Vienna Symphony Orchestra.

15. coopmv

Attached Files:

16. coopmv

George, I actually had this bookmarked and somehow lost it. Thanks. The scope of classical music is just so amazing that a few thousand recordings really do not mean a whole lot.

17. George P

George P Notable Member

No problem. :righton:

18. coopmv

Here is another CD by Elly Ameling that I really enjoy.

Attached Files:

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

You 're welcome :)

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

One problem with Richter from a "recordings" standpoint is that many are of average or below-par sound, sadly. Having said that, one of my all-time favorite combinations of recording+performance is his Liszt Concertos recorded by the Mercury team on 35mm mag film on Philips. Philips have reissued this many times, but at least one issue, specifically #446 200-2, was remastered by Wilma Cozart Fine. Great disc!:love:

21. drh

drh Talking Machine

Funny thing: that was the first recording that I ever bought on CD, although I didn't keep it long. This was shortly after CD had come out, and a friend, who had a very expensive stereo and one o' them newfangled CD player thingies, suggested that I should buy two copies of the same recording, one on CD and one on LP, to compare directly against each other on his high-falutin' rig. Being short on software at that point, he would then buy the CD from me.

I still have that LP. Quite a nice performance, although I don't think I've played it since pretty shortly after the "test." I think maybe I'll go pull it off the shelf and give it a whirl....

22. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

Ok. It's old and a poor recording at best. But what a performance! One of Callas's best.

[​IMG]

23. Dr Faustus

For you early music fans; I've just discovered a very nice podcast of medieval music. It's from a company called Magnatune and they have a bunch of podcasts. Sound quality is good and the music is nice. I'm going to check out their Reniassance podcast next.

24. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

I'll be checking it out this weekend. Is there a link that you can post to the exact music that you will be listening to good Dr.?

PS Great cover on that Callas cd!

25. Dr Faustus

I found the link in the iTunes store, but you can also find all of Magnatune's podcasts here. The podcast LI listened to this morning was from the 27th of November. I'm downloading the new one now.

I love that CD - I just wish the sound quality were better. Nice pic of La Divina as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.