Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]

Richard Strauss (1864 - 1949)
    Also Sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30

Musicians:
    David Frisina, violin
    The Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra
    Zubin Mehta, conductor

1. Prelude (Sonnenaufgang)
    2. Von den Hinterveltiern
    3. Von der groben Sehnsucht
    4. Von den Freuden und Leidenschaften
    5. Das Grablied
    6. Von der Wissenschaft
    7. Der Genesende
    8. Das Tanzlied - Das Nachtlied
    9. Das Nachtwanderlied

2. RobertKaneda

RobertKaneda New Member

Yes, that is curious. Forty years ago, he was viewed as a contemporary of Szell and Bernstein, and his LPs were everywhere. In recent years, however, he's fallen into relative obscurity, and his long tenure in Philadelphia seems almost to be ignored.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing: The Chopin Collection, Artur Rubinstein, Disc 9
    2 more discs go to. :righton:

Attached Files:

4. coopmv

I am equally shocked that Christoph Eschenbach's tenure at the Philadelphia Orchestra has ended. I had attended one of his last concerts with the Houston Symphony in 99 while on a trip to Houston and was hoping to catch one of his concerts in Philadelphia as well. :sigh:

5. George P

George P Notable Member

In my book, he is up there with the great conductors of all time.

6. coopmv

Here is one of my favorite recordings of Wagner's overtures with Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra. Unfortunately, I have no choice but play the vinyl.

Attached Files:

7. George P

George P Notable Member

But what great album art!

Man, you should start a museum will all of your great covers! :)

8. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

Cool, what's on that? There's a Sony CD of Wagner overtures which is split between Ormandy/Philadelphia and Szell/Cleveland. The Ormandy-conducted ones on that disc are:
    Tannhauser Overture & Festmarsch
    Lohengrin: Prelude to Act III

9. Second that. :agree:

10. coopmv

I have to look up the 2 LP-set again to know for sure, as I must not have played this LP-set in well over twenty years. I just took it off the shelf for a quick photo 2 weeks ago. Here is the inside of the LP. There is no doubt the LP artwork from the good old days was an art form by itself.

Attached Files:

11. coopmv

We are only 65 posts short of 1000 for this part two ...

12. coopmv

Now playing: Vivaldi: Double Concertos
    Marcon, Mullova, Carmignola: Venice Baroque Orchestra
    A new CD that arrived yesterday.

Attached Files:

13. coopmv

George: You need to get this Vivaldi CD - Double Concertos by Mullova and Carmignola. I am hearing some MAJOR virtuoso playing that is truly dazzling. This is the first Carmignola's CD I can play, as I bought another Vivaldi's CD by him which turned out to be a non-hybrid, i.e. single-layered SACD that I cannot play without a SACD player.

http://www.amazon.com/Late-Violin-C...r_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1228571838&sr=1-11

14. coopmv

Attached Files:

15. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I'd be curious to know if you've had an opportunity to compare this with other audiophile versions — the long OOP Classic Records or the JVC.

I have not heard Winston's release, but the Classic impressed me far more than the JVC.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, I saw your post last night and was enticed. I will look for it later today in the stores. :)

17. coopmv

BTW, this is a redbook CD but it came in a SACD jewel-case.

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

That looks very nice, Stuart. I have an Amazon gift card I'm planning to use to buy a knife sharpener, but this is very tempting.

19. coopmv

20. coopmv

IMO, few ensembles can offer better performance on Vivaldi's works than the I Solisti Veneti with Claudio Scimone. In all honesty, I truly believe "national interpretation" is alive and well, though some people would consider this statement as racist.

21. sgb

sgb Senior Member

^ an error on my part. I was thinking of the Holst, and not the Zarathustra. I have this on a standard London/Decca release that is satisfactory. I was unaware of this one's existence. Thanks.

22. coopmv

George, Just out of curiosity, which brick-and-mortar music store in NYC do you shop for CD's these days? J&R Classical was where it all started for me but I have stopped shopping there since its "reorg" a number of years back to downsize its classical store, which used to be a separate store and now shares the same space with Jazz and other types of music.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

The only brick and mortar I deal with for classical is JandR. Great prices and knowledgable helpful staff. :righton:

I used to be a regular at Academy, but after awhile the cramped space, terrible smell of the store and attitude of the staff drove me away.

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

What does it smell like?

25. coopmv

I like the J&R Classical at the old location much better. I picked up most of my classical LP's there. I have not been to the J&R store in a long time but I placed a mail order for a few CD's with J&R a few months ago. I also mail-ordered ION, the USB device that allows me to digitize my tapes and LP's. It works quite well since I successfully digitized 3 open-reel tapes but have many more to go, not to mention I still have many cassette tapes as well. Morally, I feel that I should support some NYC businesses since I work there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.