Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

There had to be some licensing agreement it made with some outfit for the use of the image. Perhaps it did not want to re-negotiate another licensing agreement specifically for the 12" LP cover.

2. coopmv

Bill, the Helmut Walcha 10-CD set arrived today, as did the St Matthew Passion by Bach-Collegium Stuttgart with Helmut Rilling.

Attached Files:

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Wouldn't the "outfit" in this case have been Vox Records? I don't think that Vox would have stipulated that the image be shrunk all the way down to 2.5 inches. Plus, there were many other MFSL CDs that had similar sizes. A few may even be smaller. I think it was just a design choice made by MFSL art director Eileen Broudy.

4. coopmv

The image looks like it was reproduced from some museum artwork. I think VOX Records probably reproduced the image with permission from the museum or whatever outfit that owned the artwork. The permission might have been granted for a specific application and some restrictions probably applied.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

I got this tonight:

[​IMG]

His first crack at these works on record. I got the 2CD set, thinking it was OOP. The transfers are excellent, not too much or too little surface noise. Now I have all three sets of Rubinstein's Nocturnes. I love the works and can't get enough interpretations of them. I will report back when I have heard the whole set pictured above.

6. coopmv

George, you must be a big fan of Chopin ...

7. George P

George P Notable Member

HUGE. :cool:

8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Rubinstein

Re Chopin Concertos + Nocturnes

Yes, great great interpretations. Although there are bits of the compositions that were altered or as-yet undiscovered that later appeared or were corrected for his later interpretations. EMI Classics 'Great Recordings of the Century' reissued the 30's Nocturnes cycle earlier this year. George, please be so kind as to list the technical (ie. mastering) credits for me. And enjoy. Thanks. :)

9. coopmv

Now playing: Bach St Matthew Passion Disc 1
    Bach - Collegium Stuttgart, Helmut Rilling.

Attached Files:

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

What organ are these played on?

Thanks

Simon :)

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I 've been buying a lot of vinyl the last few weeks and even in my less than modest system the sound of a good vinyl never ceases to amaze me.

Here is a list of what I got today from Goodwill (all for 49c each)!

Mozart-Symphonies 35, 32, 38-Karl Bohm, Berliner Philharmoniker-DG

[​IMG]

Beethoven-Wellington's Victory (Leonore Overture, Prometheus Overture)-Adal Dorati, London Symphony Orchestra-Mercury Living Presence

[​IMG]

Mozart-Ballet Music from Les Petits Riens, Idomeneo, Symphony No 28, 29-Vienna Chamber Orchestra-Philippe Entremont-Columbia Masterworks

Haydn-Symphonies no 97,98-The Cleveland Orchestra-Bruno Szell-Columbia Masterworks

The Age of Elegance-Works by Boccherini,Haydn Gluck, Beethoven, Mozart, Handel and more-Eugene Ormandy, The Philadelphia Orchestra-Columbia Masterworks

Mozart Quartets K 499 in D and K 575 in D Guarneri Quartet-Rca Red Seal

Brahms Violin Concerto in D Major-Isaac Stern-The Philhadelphia Orchestra, Eugene Ormandy-Columbia Masterworks

Tchaikovsky 1812-Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra, Adal DoratiBeethoven Wellington's Victory-London Symphony Orchestra, Adal Dorati-Mercury Living Presence

Beethoven Emperor Concerto-Serkin/Bernstein-New York Philharmonic-Columbia Masterworks

GershwinRhapsody in Blue, Concerto in F, An American in Paris-Oscar Levant with Ormandy, Rodzinski, Kostalanetz-Columbia

Liszt Concertos 1,2-Philippe Entremont-Philadephia Orchestra, Ormandy-Columbia Masterworks

Beethoven Piano Concerto no 2, Mozart Piano concerto no 27-Serkin, Philadelphia Orchestra, Ormandy-Columbia Masterworks

Beethoven String Quartet in A minor op 132-Quartetto Italiano-Philips

Beethoven Overtures-The Cleveland Orchestra, George Szell-Columbia Masterworks

A Debussy Hit Parade
    :D:D:D
    La Mer-The Radio-Television Orchestra of Luxembourg/Rolf Reinhardt
    Clair de Lune-Peter Frankl
    Prelude a l' apress-midi d'un faune-Vienna Symphony/Edouard van Remoortel
    Arabesque no 2-Peter Frankl

Mozart Symphonies 35,31-Bamberg Symphony Orchestra-Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt-Columbia Odyssey

Karajan conducts Ravel Alborada del Graciozo, La Valse, le Tombeau de Couperin, Rapsodie espagnole, Orchestre de Paris- Angel

Antonio Vivaldi The Mandolin Concerti and Concerto for Violino Discordato-I Solisti Veneti-Musical Heritage Society

and.......................................................................................................

one of my favorite performances of Mahler 9 finally on vinyl!

Mahler Symphony no 9-Berlin Philharmonic-Sir John Barbirolli-Angel

Most of these performance are unknown to me, sorry I could not post more pictures to make this post more interesting.

12. coopmv

13. darkmatter

Some excellent Lps there. I too have been buying quite a bit of vinyl of late mainly from thrift stores, not my usual source but a small collection came in from an enthusiast to one, they were in excellent condition several unplayed so I plundered it.

14. darkmatter

15. coopmv

The Brahms Complete String Quartets, Quintets and Sextets 5-CD set also arrived today.

Attached Files:

16. coopmv

Performance is idiomatic and quite good, considering the organist Stefan Johannes Bleicher was quite young (born 1962) when it was recorded (1998). The SQ is decent for a relatively inexpensive set.

17. darkmatter

Thanks again, this is going to be an expensive thread :D

Simon :)

18. coopmv

I am just curious as to how many Chopin's recordings has George P amassed ... I only have about 40 Chopin recordings and I am not a fanatic of Chopin's works. :winkgrin:

19. George P

George P Notable Member

I haven't heard a single historical CD from EMI that I was impressed with. I have heard they were getting better, but to me they have a long way to go.

Technical info on the RCA 2 CD set:

Reissue produced by Harold Hagopian
    Engineer: Hsi-Ling Chang
    Digitally remastered in BMG/RCA Studios, New York City using UV22 Super Bit Encoding, which delivers 20 bit resolution on any standard CD player.
    Compilation Producer and Pruduction Supervisor: Nathaniel S. Johnson

And the most relevant info of all:

Disc to Digital transfer by Ward Marston

(no wonder it sounds so good! Ward is one of the best for historical transfers) :righton:

20. George P

George P Notable Member

96 CDs. I just counted. Almost all solo piano.

21. coopmv

I have about 50% of what you have when it comes to Chopin on CD. I have 492 CD's in JS Bach and probably about another 200 LP's. It is far harder to track my LP's since they are not cataloged on my computer.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

Wow, that's quite a bit indeed. It took me awhile to get into Bach, but I really enjoy his stuff now. I got 56 JS Bach CDs.

23. coopmv

I have exactly 150 Beethoven CD's and 146 Handel CD's since they are my second and third favorite composers. Handel CD's are mainly choral works while Beethoven CD's are mainly symphonic, chamber and piano works. Again, I do not have accurate counts for LP's for these 2 composers. They probably number in the hundreds. BTW, JS Bach works are often a bit heavy for people under 30. I remember when I was in my mid to late 20's, my favorites used to be works of Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff and Chopin, the romantic stuffs. It took a while for me to get real seriously involved with JS Bach.

24. coopmv

Now playing: Brahms Complete String Quartets, Quintets and Sextets Disc 1
    Amadeus Quartet

Attached Files:

25. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

My highest is Wagner, I have 84 CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.