Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

I am trying to get into this mode. I need a method of culling though. However, I sure don't want to regret selling something and then have to re-buy it for twice the price I paid.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

George, You hit it right on the nail. I have seen a number of CD's I paid $12.99 at J&R years ago going for over $100 on Amazon simply because they are OOP.

3. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Send me a list of all your CDs. I can decide which ones you don't need, and then dispose of them for you.

Seriously, though, I cut too closely and have regretted it. But that wasn't because I was in cull mode. Rather, I bought into the idea that since so many of my CDs were poorly recorded, I should get rid of them. Audiophilia is one of the worst things that ever happened to me.

4. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

Currently playing the First Symphony, though I'll be listening to it all today. Weighty music and I'm in that sort of a mood.

[​IMG]

For Christmas music, I have the problem that my partner does not like classical music. So I can only listen to Bach's Christmas Oratorio alone. While putting up our tree yesterday, we did listen to John Fahey's Christmas album, which works...

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

No doubt :(

It's a fun journey though, it spices up life :shh:

6. coopmv

Is this a recent reissue? I have never seen this CD cover before ...

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Me neither. Though I will never part with my 4 Brahms symphonies (on three CDs) by Karajan from the sixties. :righton:

8. coopmv

My classical music collection has proven to be an excellent musical (self) therapy. Whenever I am down and alone, listening to some of my favorite classical music always cheers me up. There are few other types of music that can do this.

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Absolutely, listening to classical makes my day better, especially in the morning before I go to work.

You 're right, there are only a few other types of music that can provide such positive inspiration, jazz comes to mind.

10. coopmv

Just listened to the Clarinet Quintet last night. I heard enough classical works where the violins were the dominant instruments but this was the first work where the clarinet played such role.

11. Dr Faustus

I had the older version of this, but one of the CDs broke. I picked this up from Amazon a month or so ago. Thought it was the British version of this, but I just saw that it was released in September '08. Sounds the same to as the older version to me. Brilliant Brahms, IMHO.

12. coopmv

I have the Brahms Complete Symphonies by HvK/BPO on an LP-set and on a 2-CD set. So this is just a repackaging of the same recording.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

Didn't he record them at least twice?

14. coopmv

George, He probably did. The book Herbert von Karajan: A Life in Music, which I have, probably chronicles his career recording outputs. If you are a big fan of Karajan, you probably want to pick up a copy. Looks like price has gone up, as my copy only cost me a little over $30 last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Herbert-von-Karajan-Life-Music/dp/1555534252

15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

If you enjoyed it, try the Mozart Clarinet Quintet (K. 581). It uses the limpid sound of the clarinet within a work of sublime serenity that was often a hallmark of Mozart's final year.

I've worked on the clarinet part (as a student), and I must say it was a moment of exhilaration when all of a sudden my halting phrases took sufficient shape for me to recognize the notes I was playing as the work of art I had enjoyed listening to for so many years.

(I haven't tackled the Brahms Quintet yet, but I have worked on his two Clarinet Sonatas.)

16. Dr Faustus

Not sure - the original set I had was on 3 CDs not 2. Don't have the sets to hand right now, but I'll check when I get a chance. This set also has some other music on it - the Tragic Overture and Variations on a Theme by Haydn.

17. coopmv

I am finally done with listening to this set. I really enjoyed the sextets the most, probably because it is more full-bodied, i.e. that extra instrument adds more dimension to the sound. While I enjoy solo piano works and JS Bach organ works, chamber music has always sounded "thin" to me. But then, I am a real novice for this segment of classical music.

18. john greenwood

If you liked the sextets, you might want to try the following as well:

Mendelssohn Octet for Strings (pure joy)
    Beethoven Septet Op. 20 for strings and winds
    Schubert Octet for strings and winds (one of his greatest masterpieces - modelled on the Beethoven Septet, but in this case surpassing Ludwig)

19. coopmv

I have this CD

http://www.amazon.com/Schubert-Octe...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1228776777&sr=1-4

If you have the CD, what is your thought?

20. coopmv

Now playing: JS Bach Preludium und Fuge BWV 544-551 Disc 3
    Helmut Walcha

Attached Files:

21. john greenwood

22. coopmv

Just ordered these 2 CD's to continue my push into medieval music ...

Attached Files:

23. coopmv

24. Earlier this morning.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

25. coopmv

Jean-Francois Paillard? I have quite a few of his recordings on LP but have never seen any of his CD until now ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.