Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Rachmaninov
    Isle of the Dead
    Concertgebouw Orchestra/Ashkenazy
    London 410 124-2 (West Germany pressing)

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

John, Thanks for the info. The Decca CD looks very interesting. A Viennese ensemble should excel in performing such works ...

3. coopmv

You sounded you were not too happy with the set?

4. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Attached Files:

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Maybe it doesn't sound as bad as the original CBS CD release, which had the yellow booklet and cover. That was one of the most muffled-sounding CDs I ever owned.

This is the much better-sounding Sony M2 with the NYPO:

Attached Files:

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Not terribly, no.

I have a nerdy way of rating the LvB piano sonata sets that I have. (For this, I only rate complete or almost complete sets that were released as such. This is why Serkin, Pollini, Richter, etc, do not appear on the list. When I get a new set, I usually listen to each one and rate each movement as being poor (0), fair (1), good (2), or excellent(3). Then I take the average of this and if it is 2.25 or better, it counts as a recommended performance of that sonata. I do this for all 32 sonatas and then add up the total of recommended sonatas and divide by 32 to get the percentage of sonatas that I enjoy/recommend.

Here's what I have gathered for the following sets:

Emil Gilels (DG, incomplete) - 77%
    Wilhelm Backhaus (stereo, Decca) - 75%
    Annie Fisher (Hungaroton) - 72%
    Freidrich Gulda - (Briliant Classics) - 72%
    Schnabel (Naxos Historical) - 59%
    Kempff (mono, DG) - 59%
    Kovacevich (EMI) - 59%
    Yves Nat (EMI) - 56%
    Hungerford (Incomplete, Vanguard Classics) - 56%
    Bernard Roberts (Nimbus) - 34%
    Barenboim (DG) - 53%

I am still working on Brendel's first cycle on Vox, Goode's Nonesuch set and Ciccolini's set on Cascavelle. However, none of these will become a top choice for me. This is why I haven't finished listening to (and rating) them.

Perhaps someday I will factor in the ratings of each sonata and have a more accurate representation of my favorites.

7. coopmv

You are as much of a collector of LvB piano sonatas as I am a collector of LvB complete symphonies. I have 13 complete symphonies on CD and 3 on LP. I now realize I am a bit weak in piano sonatas since the Gilels box is the only set I have. I do have some pretty nice LvB piano works on LP, but I have not played LP's in years. My JS Bach collection will always be the largest collection of a single composer's works.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

The Gulda set on Brilliant would be an inexpensive set to get to complement that Gilels one. His style is also a nice complement, choosing faster tempos and bringing a bit more excitement.

9. On the Mendelssohn Octet:

Excellent disc. The two performances have one violist in common. As I recall, the personnel were all from the Philharmoniker.

Has any other composer written anything as good as this Octet, at the age of sixteen? (Even Mozart?)

10. coopmv

Does anyone have any thought on the Haydn Symphonies by Adam Fischer and the Austro-Hungarian Haydn Orchestra? I have all 104 symphonies but doubt I will get another cycle ... :winkgrin:

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have only the five cd set that contains 55-69 and I think this is one of the best, if not the best, recordings of these symphonies.

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Right now I am listening to this LP.

[​IMG]

OMG, I had no idea.....performance, recording, they are breathtaking!

13. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, I have the CD. It's incredible! My favorite Rach 1. I wish Janis had recorded the Rach 4 and Paganini, for his Rach 2 and 3 are excellent!

14. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

This morning's start:

Bach
    Cello Suites Nos. 1-6
    Pablo Casals
    Opus Kura 2041/2
    Recorded between 1936 and 1939

And, good morning.

15. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

And don't forget the Overture to Midsummer Night's Dream. The Szell pairing of the Overture and Incidental Music with the Italian Symphony is one of my standard recommendations for people just getting into classical. How can you not smile.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

How is it? :wave:

I started with Bach too, the B Minor Mass by Gardiner on DG. :righton:

Nice mellow stuff. I only listen to Bach's Choral stuff this time of year, but I enjoy it when I do.

17. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Attached Files:

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Still listening to the Mahler 2 on Sony by Bernstein and the NYPO. I can't quite take it out of my CD player. I think the Second is the first thing people should listen to in Mahler. It's so outstandingly powerful, just one of the most beautiful things that has ever been made in the world.

If you listen to classical on LP, this is one CBS got right. The photo below is of the Japanese SACD hybrid, but it is an exact copy of the cover of the original 2-LP box set. All of Bernstein's 1960s CBS Mahler Symphonies are available as SACD hybrid Japanese imports, using the original LP cover art, which no CD release has done until now. importcds.com has the best prices, but searching there is a nightmare. It's easier to access through Amazon Marketplace.

Attached Files:

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

And now I've moved on to Bernstein's CBS Mahler 3, still my favorite among the many, many versions I've owned and listened to. The first picture is of the original CD release back in the '80s. The second, of the Japanese SACD hybrid and the original LP from 1963.

Attached Files:

20. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I agree with your statement re the Second Symphony as the perfect introduction to Mahler. PS. I got my Mahler SACD set (minus 1, 5, 10) from CD Japan. Perhaps the best hi-rez discs in my collection.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code_banner.html?sort=rel_d&media=SACD&key=126081

21. coopmv

So it looks like I did not make a bad judgment. An ensemble that is named "Austro-Hungarian" has no excuse not to give a good account of Haydn's works ...

22. coopmv

George, Pardon my ignorance. How could I have missed someone who was the teacher to Martha Argerich? I am sold on this LvB piano sonatas set.

23. coopmv

24. coopmv

This DVD of Brandenburg Concertos just arrived today. Just a nice way to start my 1-week vacation ...

Attached Files:

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.