Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

Let me know what you think of it. His technique is impeccable.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Jay,

Is this the set with the crappy SQ?

Attached Files:

3. coopmv

George, Amazon's estimate ship date for my Martha Argerich Solo set is somewhere between 12/23/08 and 1/2/09. Have you picked up your set at J&R yet?

4. coopmv

Bill, I cannot help but get nostalgic whenever I have one of these Made in West Germany CD's in my hand. Those were the days, the excellent and very memorable years in the 80's ...

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

No. This box set contains the remastered versions of the entire '60s Bernstein Mahler. It came out sometime in the '90s. It includes the better-sounding CBS version of the Second Symphony, by the NYPO. I only have the Second in this series, because it's the better of the two Bernstein CBS/Sony Seconds. This one was recorded (I think at Brooklyn's St. George Hotel) in 1963. The one with bad sound is the one recorded at the Ely Cathedral in England in 1973, with (I think) the LSO.

I've never minded the sound on the other original CD releases, except for the Fifth. But the Fifth has never been my favorite Mahler, no matter by whom. I'm not crazy about Bernstein's Fourth on this set, either (I don't much like his Fourth on DG, for that matter).

I've heard this box set at a friend's house, but not on a particularly revealing stereo. I can't really be a good judge of its overall sound quality. Maybe someone else is familiar with it.

EDIT: THIS IS THE ONE WITH BAD SOUND http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-No-2...r_1_28?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1228970656&sr=1-28

6. coopmv

I love Gwyneth Jones, who recorded in this set. She is some dramatic soprano who does not have the big-frame and yet can really hit the high notes. She is my all-time favorite soprano for LvB Symphony No. 9, which she performed with LB and the VPO in both 1970 (I have the DVD) and the 1980 DG.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

I haven't they've been out of stock. :shake: They told me it will be $28 when it comes back. They've sold out twice.

I may not get it, as I have 65% of it already.

8. coopmv

I will probably get the Gulda's set and the Kovacevich's set. The Annie Fischer' set has a price tag that is a bit steep for someone like myself who likes piano works but yet not a fanatic ...

9. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

The Casals Bach Suites on this label are top-shelf, George, as is the Bach recording you spun today. I am not a big Gardiner fan....too flat-line for me. However, in this case he is brilliant.

10. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I also think this set is one of the best. I like the sound, but being recorded over many years, it does vary some. Included in the program are two pictures of the conductor, one when he started the series, and one when it was completed. Such dedication.

11. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

From Evening to Evening with Gregorian Chant
    Schola Hungarica/László Dobszay/Janka Szendrei
    Hungaroton HCD 31086

Good morning.

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Try this and save a few bucks.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/SO_Hyperion/CDS44351-66.htm

As I mentioned earlier on this thread, I heard him in Scriabin recital a few weeks ago and he was phenomenal.

13. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

14. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

I listened to these today:

Tchaikovsky - Nutcracker (Dorati; Mercury Living Presence hybrid SACD)
    PDQ Bach - The Stoned Guest

15. coopmv

MDT does have some excellent prices on certain CD sets such as the Harnoncourt's Bach Cantatas and this Garrick Ohlsson's set, though its price on HvK's Wagner Ring is no better than a few US-based e-tailers'.

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Are the splices as obvious on the Nutcracker SACD as they were on the CD? I think it's a wonderful performance, but the edits are really jarring in places.

17. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I had a very odd experience with a Melodiya/MCA release of Brahms Piano Concerto #1 last night, and posted about it here, should you be inclined to comment.

18. coopmv

Now playing: Bach: Matthäus-Passion Disc 1
    Herbert von Karajan - Berlin Philharmoniker

Attached Files:

19. coopmv

Has anyone heard this relatively new remastered CD-set yet? Looks like it should be on my shopping list ...

Attached Files:

20. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I thought this series was OOP, but I really haven't paid a lot of attention.

21. coopmv

I am ok with it as long as it is not available at ArkivMusic as a CDR special (hate that place) ... :thumbsdn:

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Stuart, surely you are rushing to buy one of the 700+ Featured ArkivMusic Reissues from Deutsche Grammophon offered in their latest e-mail (which arrived, literally, the minute before I read this post).

23. coopmv

Jay, Looks like we both received the same email from ArkivMusic. I promptly deleted mine ...

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I wonder if people actually buy these CD-Rs. I have not. You have not. I don't know about the rest of the world.

25. coopmv

I cannot stand having unprofessionally-made audio CD's in my collection and just cannot imagine how ArkivMusic can package something real professional together. It is one thing selling direct download, it is quite another thing packaging the same music in an appealing physical media. Just my thought ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.