Is there any reason to hold onto my 2000 version of "How The Grinch Stole Christmas"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Batears52, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member Thread Starter

Actually it carries the 1999 date for Dr. Seuss Properties...and a 2002 date for Turner Entertainment for the artwork.

It's the one in that god-awful cardboard package with the plastic tray & the flap that doesn't close.

I bought the 50th Anniversary edition this year - the Grinch is actually green instead of mustard yellow. The only feature not in the new edition is the Commentary & I never listen to those anyway. Everything else that was in the old one is in the new one - from what I can tell.

I just wanted to make sure that I'm not missing anything before I offer it up to the family!

Thanks!
    Dexter

2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

FWIW (and maybe not much), one reviewer on Amazon.com says the colours are oversaturated and claims they added panning effects. :shrug: Seems to be the only person complaining however.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B000HA4WDY/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?_encoding=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You lose nothing big other than the commentary. The old "Grinch" wasn't a good transfer. The version of "The Grinch" in the recent "Classic Christmas Favorites" package is a NEW edition and the best of the bunch, IMO:

http://www.dvdmg.com/grinchdeluxe2008.shtml

4. I won't be double-dipping on this title until the improved version comes out on blu-ray. Until then...:wave:

5. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I saw a screening of the original 1966 CBS Network print of this recently, with the Foundation for Full Service Bank sponsor tags at the beginning and end of the program and the "CBS Presents This Program In COLOR!" Intro, looked great and the color was correct. Makes me mad when this turns up on TBS year after year and they air the crap out of it...

6. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

I have the blu-ray and the old 2000 DVD. I was not entirely thrilled with the blu-ray -- I agree with the post above about the modernized color and effects. It almost feels like a brand new show. It's not enough to lose sleep over... but it did make me take a second look at the nasty DVD transfer and realize it has its charm. For watching once a year, you probably have no reason to keep the old DVD. It was a pretty dirty print...

Maybe they'll get it right on the 75th anniversary!

7. TheCassidy

TheCassidy New Member

I just bit the bullet and got the 50th Anniversary DVD for <$10.

I figured why not, I would have preferred BR but at least the PS3 will upscale it.

8. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

I watch a dub of an identical print each year. Nothing compares, in my opinion.

9. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Where are you guys seeing these screenings? Are these at some film retrospective, or someone's private collection? (In the Rudolph thread, somebody mentioned seeing the 1964 print...)

Derek

Jobonthego87 likes this.
  10. Jobonthego87

Jobonthego87 New Member

Where did u see it? Is there anyway for anyone to see the original telecast version?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.