Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Quite so :winkgrin:

2. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

I know what you mean, though. I very rarely play a Mozart symphony. The piano concertos, OTOH, are some of the best music in existence, and you'd better not call them bubblegum. Well, you can't, really. They're not. They're just tuneful. And they're my favorite body of work after Mahler.

I like Le Nozze di Figaro and Die Zauberflote, too. I like very few operas, and these are my favorites. La Traviata is the other, but mostly for "Di Provenza."

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I am not sure. This is the only Gardiner's Beethoven symphony I have. I still have my misgivings about performing Beethoven symphonies on period instruments and I am not sure if I want to get the full set. I already have the Complete Symphonies by Christopher Hogwood.

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Just posted a proposed date for Symphony 2 on the Beethoven thread: Next Sunday, one week from today Jan 3rd.

5. Chris Knox

Chris Knox New Member

His 5th is my favourite classical recording of all time (apart from an old album of Mikhail Khomitser playing Shostakovich's Cello Concerto #1 with the Moscow Radio Symphony Orch.).

6. coopmv

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

This is the full set that I have

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Symphonies-Orchestre-Révolutionnaire-Romantique/dp/B0000057EO

You should listen to the Gardiner's early symphonies, they are very Mozartian ;)

8. coopmv

Agree. Mozart composed some very delightful chamber music. Many of his piano works are quite nice too. I personally prefer Schubert, another Viennese composer over Mozart.

9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Listening now...

Szell conducts Haydn Symphonies No. 97 in C and No. 98 in B flat
    The Cleveland Orchestra
    Columbia Masterworks LP record.

For the fans of Haydn symphonies this is an absolute must.

Also available on cd
    Haydn: Symphonies 97, 98 & 99

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Szell's Haydn (and Mozart) are excellent! :agree:

11. coopmv

Now playing:

Attached Files:

12. coopmv

I think I have these operas on LP only. All my operas on CD are almost exclusively Wagner's. It has always been my view that when it comes to piano works, there is no greater romantic than Rachmaninoff. However, in the orchestral arena, nobody did it better than Wagner ...

13. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

My latest purchase:

Beethoven, Symphonies 1 & 7, Otto Klemperer & Philharmonia Orchestra (EMI)

And I saw the SF Ballet's Nutcracker today. Act 1 was great, act 2 was a bit weak compared to previous productions I've seen.

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes indeed :righton:

Yes Wagner is the pinnacle of romanticism in every respect, from his orchestration to the opera storylines the romantic style is overwhelming.

15. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

These are some great recordings.

If you like opera you should get this:
    Beethoven Fidelio

16. coopmv

We probably should start a Wagner's Overtures thread down the road? What is your thought, George?

17. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have those on low-budget Odyssey. Great performances - lousy sound. Maybe they've been remastered.

I second George on Szell's Mozart recordings. :edthumbs: I just wish the wonderful recordings of the late concertos by Szell and Robert Casadesus were still in print.

And Mozart is one of my favorite composers. :agree:

18. john greenwood

I commented on Klemperer in the Beethoven thread. I'll look forward to your thoughts.

19. coopmv

Perhaps these currently OOP recordings will make their way to Brilliant Classics or Naxos one day ...

20. George P

George P Notable Member

Absolutely! :)

You got great taste! :righton:

21. George P

George P Notable Member

That's a thread were I would potentially learn a greal deal, but unfortunately I am not a fan of overtures. I like works that are longer. It's weird because I enjoy overtures, but I always feel like I've taken one bite of a meal. And since I am not a big lover of opera, hearing the whole thing doesn't usually happen.

Yes indeed. I think Haskil's Mozart is wonderful, as is Klein's set of the sonatas and Anda's set of the Concertos. I am a huge fan of Mozart. He's the one composer that I could listen to for 24 hours straight. The balance, grace and beauty of his music sustains me during stressful times.

22. coopmv

I have this version of Fidelio ...

Attached Files:

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Great conductor, interesting cover. Haven't heard it, but I have seen it around.

24. coopmv

Now playing

Attached Files:

25. john greenwood

I have the Anda set as well as the Perahia/ECO set and the Bilson/Gardiner set. I try to appreciate the Bilson set, but am always frustrated by the balance. The fortepiano is simply overwhelmed by the orchestra.

When you think about it, Mozart's piano concertos are among the greatest achievements in music. Beethoven wrote 5 great concertos; a number of other composers wrote 2 or 3. Mozart wrote at least a dozen absolute masterpieces in the genre.

For the Sonatas I enjoy Uchida.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.