Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Bill is the Busch Chamber Players the same as the Busch Quartet?

I have their three volumes of Beethoven on Dutton Labs and I like them a lot, this was really an exceptional group although not always in tune :shh:

2. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Here is the picture in my liner notes:

[​IMG]

It says there were a corps of 17 string players, but it looks like there are more than that in the picture. Hope that helps.

The pic above is the Busch's American Chamber Orchestra

3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks Bill,
    if there is no mention to Adolf Busch it might be a different group.

Here is some info on the Busch Quartet

Like I said, this was a great group, active in the first half of the 20th c. and especially famous for their performances of Beethoven.

4. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Found this Chris:

During the mid-1930s, he founded the Busch Chamber Players, whose stripped-down interpretations of such Baroque works as Bach's Brandenburg Concertos achieved great popularity in their time and marked an important early step in removing the layers of Romantic-era bombast that had been applied to them. The group's subsequent recordings in England of these pieces and the suites for orchestra, and works such as the Handel Op. 6 concerti grossi, were unique in their time and remain highly prized. Busch also organized a piano trio with his brother Hermann and pianist Rudolf Serkin, who also served as his accompanist and subsequently married Busch's daughter. Busch moved to the United States in 1939 and the Busch Quartet was re-formed by 1941. He remained active as a soloist, as well as a member of the chamber group for the remainder of his life, and he also conducted orchestras. In 1950, two years before his death, Busch founded the Marlboro School of Music. ~ Bruce Eder, All Music Guide

5. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

And this:

The additional member of the circle was Rudolf Serkin, who became Busch's duo partner at 18 and eventually married Busch's daughter, Irene. The Busch Quartet and Serkin became the nucleus of the Busch Chamber Players, a forerunner of modern chamber orchestras.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Makes sense now. How is this Pearl cd?

7. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Typical Pearl effort from Roger Beardsley who seems to have done all the Busch Pearl's (5) that I own. Obvious surface noise, but the music all seems to be there. :righton:

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I did not expect anything less. :)
    I will probably order it soon, since I am always interested in pre-war performances.

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

10. coopmv

11. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Ha! :laugh: Purely for reference my friend, purely for reference.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

I got a printer and a stack of CD-Rs at home. Think I'll start my own ArkivMusic. :idea:

13. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Now that was hilarious. LOL!

PS Anyone konow how to get Ramen noodles off of a computer screen.

14. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Now in the tray:

[​IMG]

15. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh:

16. coopmv

Why not? I have no doubt you can produce some CD artwork as good as the one ArkivMusic has produced, as shown below.

Attached Files:

17. drh

drh Talking Machine

More on the Busches

Adolph Busch's brother was the noted conductor Fritz Busch, who led those early Glyndbourne Mozart opera recordings; another member of the family, Hermann Busch, was an accomplished cellist. They were not Jewish, but they took a principled stand and departed Germany upon the rise of Hitler. Like Erich Kleiber (father of Carlos), another musician of principle who chose to emigrate rather than collaborate, what they got in return for disruption to flourishing European careers was relegation to the "historical performance" niche of the market. Meanwhile, certain other, to my ears vastly inferior, musicians played footsie with the regime and ended up as household names and objects of adulation worldwide. There is no justice in this world, say I.

[/RANT] :tsk:

You will not be disappointed if you explore the efforts of Adolph Busch, his quartet, and his chamber orchestra; they were all committed, serious musicians of high purpose, and they made music with a certain fierce rectitude and often great beauty, particularly in the central Germanic romantic repertory. Be aware, however, that their view of "authenticity" in baroque literature, while quite advanced for their day, is a very long march from ours. Basically, the Busch forces' major innovation was to reduce the size of the orchestra from full symphonic grandeur to a chamber scale. Interpretively, they still sound very "romantic" by current standards. Curiously, in the Brandenburg Concerti, Victor's competing set comes closer to our ideas, and it's from the last forces that you'd ever expect: Alfred Cortot leading the Ecole Normale Chamber Orchestra of Paris. One thing that is certain from listening to both sets: trumpet technique has traveled a very long road indeed since the 1930s! (The Busch set featured George Eskdale, then perhaps the most celebrated orchestral trumpeter in the world.)

Anent Busch as soloist, he did not have the most suave, ingratiating tone; if your ideal violin sound comes from the bow of, say, Mischa Elman, you will find Busch abrasive. He did, however, have power and commitment to burn, and I find him, at his best, to be a passionate advocate for the composers he espouses.

18. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Hey! I have that cd (original pressing fromWest Germany) Stuart and the artwork is the same. Philips always seemed to struggle in that department.

19. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

I enjoy the Busch work I have quite a bit. However, when Serkin is absent from their performances, (je LvB late quartets), their appeal goes down a notch for me. Like the sundae without the sauce.

20. coopmv

Really, Jay thought it was some crayon job by some kids in the backroom working for ArkivMusic for $1 an hour ... :help: child labor ...

21. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

I can see why he thought that, but that is the real deal. I believe Arkiv has the rights to the covers and liner notes to their re-issues. When they first started this, they used to sell them with just the covers and liner notes were not included. This is why you have to be careful of used cds on EBAY....might be an Arkiv cd-r you are buying, as I have come across a few there.

22. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

23. drh

drh Talking Machine

You know, while keeping the "reproductions" straight from the "originals" in the aftermarket may be an issue for us collectors, I'm not sure I really see the problem here. Unlike most popular music Web sites, ArkiveMusik has a functional search engine for classical collectors, and the CD-Rs are reissues of material that otherwise would be out of print. One can argue about the prices being too high, but it seems to me that negotiating rights to make legitimately available desirable recordings that otherwise would be completely off the market is no cause for opprobrium. Frankly, I wish they'd obtain rights to Friedrich Wuhrer's catalogue and put it up in decent CD copies; knowing that I was getting sanctioned copies I'd buy it in a trice. (A collector in Europe has issued some Wuhrer stuff, but as best I can tell he's bootlegging copies from LPs.)

24. coopmv

I have received two used CD's when the Amazon MarketPlace vendors clearly said the CD's were new. In both cases, the vendors had seen the last of my business. I kept the CD's since it was not worth my trouble to return the CD's given the dollar amount ...

25. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

What is the most anyone here has paid for a classical recording, record or cd?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.