Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

Don't have that one, unfortunately. Do you like Landowska's Bach?

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have heard of a recording of Stravinsky conducting the Firebird or one of his works. But this Rachmaninoff's set may be the only collection of recordings where a big-time classical composer actually played his own compositions ...

3. coopmv

It has been many years since I last played it. Obviously, it was performed in the 1920 style ...

4. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Now playing
    Beethoven : "Archduke" Trio and Trio No. 8 in B flat (1812)
    Toshiba EMI CC38-3027
    Vladimir Ashkenazy, Itzhak Perlman and Lynn Harrell

5. coopmv

I am curious as to how Sergei played his JS Bach keyboard piece.

6. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Borders has a 30% off sale to all cds.

This is what I got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am looking forward to listening the Kissin 's Beethoven concertos after the excellent review that this set got in November's Gramophone.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

If you go over to itunes, you can sample it. They have the later set I believe.

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

No tape during the acoustic era, but those Edison discs are legendary for their heavy surfaces. The Liszt 2d Hungarian Rhapsody is unusual in being spread across 3 sides; Edison almost never let anything go beyond two. A photo below shows the original disc for side 1; another compares the thickness of an Edison disc to a standard Victor 78 of the same period.

Attached Files:

9. coopmv

I busted a few of these as a kid without getting into trouble ... :winkgrin:

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Naxos Historical

Being as you are in the Bay Area, I thought I'd let you know that Amoeba Hollywood has started carrying Naxos Historical titles (not for sale in USA). That means SF and Berkeley probably have them, too. I asked Charlie, the most informed classical clerk, when they started doing it and if it would continue. He said they began with a small quantity from one of their Australian suppliers and that he hoped to see more in the future. Just an fyi, since you like the old stuff as I do...and you can't beat $8.98 out the door, either.

Let me know what you think. The Gramophone review was not enough to make me pull the trigger today. I splurged on some DVD's I've been eyeing, will list later...

11. George P

George P Notable Member

Wow, thanks for the info. You were right about the Liszt, BTW. His playing is so aristocratic, that you really have to listen to hear his virtuosity. It doesn't hit you over the head like many pianists.

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Will do, Eddie
    Kissin is great in Beethoven but I am also curious to see how these new performances measure up to the old masters especially to Gilels.

13. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Beethoven piano concertos

Sir Colin Davis ain't so bad, either. His 80's cycle with Arrau and the Dresden Staatskapelle is one of the best, IMHO. Btw, my favorite concertos are 4 1 5 3 2, in order.

14. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Composer: Bruckner
    Work: Symphony No. 6
    Performer: López-Cobos, Cincinnati Symphony
    Medium and Label: CD/Telarc
    Date of performance: 1991

My latest acquisition.

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

What did you think of that crazy cadenza?

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Re Beethoven piano concertos

Here is a review of the recent Kissin + Davis/LSO and Pletnev + Gansch/Russian Nat'l Orch. cycles, posted at musicalcriticism.com:

17. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Helene Grimaud interview

One more rip 'n post from musicalcriticism.com -- Mlle. Helene Grimaud on her forthcoming Bach disc:

Attached Files:

18. drh

drh Talking Machine

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Beethoven 9

After a big steak dinner, this is perfect viewing. Karajan's New Year's Eve 1977 Ninth at the Berlin Philharmonie, directed by Humphrey Burton. With Anna Tomowa-Sintow (soprano), Agnes Baltsa (contralto), Rene Kolto (tenor), Jose Van Dam (bass) and Chor der Deutschen Oper Berlin. Brilliant transfer and sound is expertly-captured. Best of all, direction and editing is top-shelf and not dated or indulgent, unlike a couple other HvK videos I've seen. Highly recommended!!

Attached Files:

20. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Hmmm that reminds me - the Vienna Phil's New Year's Day concert - who's conducting this year?

21. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Grieg

Some easy listening before bed:
    • Grieg: Lyric Pieces - Hideyo Harada
      Audite SACD 2008, new release.

from classicstoday.com:

Attached Files:

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

Michael Tilson-Thomas' single CD Mahler recordings cost around $24 new.

When I first started listening to classical (1980s), I would buy whatever label was on sale at the three big stores in DC (Serenade, Olssons, Tower), so I haven't paid a lot for anything.

Some unremastered CDs sell for quite a bit on eBay. I sold a copy of the original pressing of HVK's Mahler 4 for $73 once. If you have a lot of original CD pressings, take a look on Amazon Marketplace. You may have some valuable discs. Of course, there are some mymusiicfixes there, too.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Eddie,
    thanks for posting the review from musicalcriticism.com! This last paragraph is a bummer though:

I still haven't gotten the chance to listen to Kissin yet. BTW my favorite concerto is 5 and for the last couple of days I 've been listening again and again to a 1959 EMI LP with Arrau and Alceo Galliera conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra. Wonderful stuff.

Has anyone heard Reflection with Helene Grimaud?

She plays the Schumann concerto some of Clara's lieder with Anne Sofie von Otter and two rhapsodies and the sonata for piano and cello by Brahms.

My wife probably shouldn't read this, but I have fallen in love with Helene, I like almost everything she does :winkgrin:

24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

The most I 've paid for new cds is for some Wagner cycles like the Milan Furtwagler, Knappertsbusch etc. and the Harnoncourt and Koopman Bach Cantatas.

Other than that I try to avoid paying high prices for used stuff. I have many Living Presence and Living Stereos LPs but I never paid more than 10 bucks a piece. Some of these are ridiculously overpriced.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

People listen to her CDs? I thought they just bought them for the centerfold.

I keed, I keed. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.