Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

I need to hear it again. Last night I had a ear splitting headache so I couldn't listen too much. :(

2. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

However, the above image does her very little justice....almost Sissy Spacek meets Julia Roberts like. I believe this one works better:

[​IMG]

How is that for a good morning to ya' George!

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Back in the wild and crazy period before parenthood yanked me back into reality, $250, give or take, for one of Caruso's two Pathe disks. I paid around $200 for the other one. Of the 4 sides, each ca. 4 minutes, two are duplicates, as he recorded only 3 selections for that group (originally made for the Anglo-Italian Commerce Company and issued first on cylinders). I have never seen any of his Zonophones and shudder to think what one would cost.

During the same period, I bought a goodly number of Edison operatic cylinders, which generally run better than $100 each and play for either 2 or 4 minutes depending on the type.

So I'm guessing that on a per-minute basis I may well have been the most profligate member of this discussion. :sigh:

4. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, It absolutely doesn't do her justice.

Nice! And a good evening, too! ;)

This one is my favorite:

[​IMG]

But I digress. :)

On the way to work today, I listened to some live Argerich Beethoven Sonatas - Op. 10/3, Waldstein and 109. She really should have released these on CD. Great stuff, especially the Waldstein.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

:winkgrin::D:winkgrin::D

6. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Re Grimaud

I like almost everything she does, too, and I really do try to listen critically. ;) Reflection is an excellent release but I think Credo is the best thing she has done while under contract to DG. I also really like her Beethoven piano concerto No. 4 with Kurt Masur/NYPO from 1999. I listen to it all the time. Great Teldec sonics, too. It has been re-released in box form by Warner Classics.

Re Pletnev

Btw, I have Pletnev's versions of Beethoven piano concerto Nos. 1 & 3. I didn't care for it at all!!

7. On a side note:

Tonight's fireworks from the Sydney Harbour Bridge will be set to the finale of Symphony No.8 in E-flat major by Gustav Mahler.

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

Is this the one, Eddie? It's $19.07+shipping on mdt.

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//2564632652.htm

9. Jay F

Oh, how nice is that? Can you hear and see it from your balcony?

10. Jay F

11. Jay F

You can get the Chailly box set for $40 on bmgmusic.com (free shipping, too), $55 from Newbury Comics.

12. I can see it from my balcony and will have the radio broadcast playing in the background. :cheers:

13. Jay F

How wonderful.

14. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

A friend of mine a fellow HiFi nut who emigrated over to Aus (Sydney) from England will be able to enjoy that too, sounds good :thumbsup:

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Other than his great set of Scarlatti sonatas and Brahms Concertos, he has dissapointed me. Enough so that I have given up on him. :sigh:

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Pletnev

I've heard the Scarlatti, and it is good. There is another disc that I like, Hommage a Rachmaninov, that was recorded on Rach's own piano. It received mixed reviews upon release (DG 1999) -- pianophile critic Jed Distler notably trashed it -- but there is no question the tone colors of the piano and technical quality of the recording are among the best I've heard. It's worth a listen. The Beethoven concertos are not!

17. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Mahler 8 fireworks in Sydney

Awesome. Nice to hear they are playing Mahler and not the usual Handel Royal Fireworks or Tchaikovsky 1812 or Def Leppard Pyromania (haha). My dad was a total pyromaniac on July 4 and he loved to play Kate Smith and Sousa and the usual marches. I finally saw the Symphony of a Thousand last summer at the Hollywood Bowl, conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen. So good I went the next night as well. Christine Brewer in the soprano role.

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

New Argerich DVD

Martha Argerich plays Mozart live from Tokyo
    coming 1/2/2009
    106 mins.

Legendary pianist Martha Argerich stars in radiant performances of works by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, recorded live in Tokyo at one of three 5th anniversary memorial concerts she gave ’In Joyful Remembrance of Friedrich Gulda’, her teacher. Christian Arming conducts the New Japan Philharmonic Orchestra with great vitality, and Martha Argerich is joined on stage by the renowned Renaud and Gautier Capuçon, as well as Gulda’s sons Paul and Rico, who accompany her in a jubilant performance of Mozart’s Concerto for three pianos in F major, K.242.

Martha Argerich (piano)
    Renaud Capuçon (violin)
    Gautier Capuçon (cello)
    Paul Gulda (piano) - son of Friedrich
    Rico Gulda (piano) - son of Friedrich

New Japan Philharmonic
    Conductor: Christian Arming

Recorded live Sumida Triphony Hall, Tokyo on 27th January 2005.

Repertoire
    • Mozart Piano Concerto No. 20 K.466
    • Mozart Concerto for three pianos K.242
    • Mozart Rondo K.373

Bonus performances
    • Mozart Adagio K.261
    • Mozart Symphony No. 32 K.318

Reviews
    ‘…the visceral thrill of the playing of Martha Argerich, the elusive pianist and cult favourite, certainly merited the eager anticipation that her appearances always generate.’ New York Times

Attached Files:

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

That's great! And they play Mahler also! :righton:

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks for the heads up! It looks like an excellent DVD.

A while ago I was listening to her Debut Recital on DG originals and,man oh man, her playing of Liszt....my jaw fell to the floor.

21. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Daniel Barenboim.

22. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have both of these CD's. :righton:

23. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just ordered

Attached Files:

24. George P

George P Notable Member

That Serkin CD was my introduction to the pianist. Dozens of CDs by him soon followed. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.