Record/CD stores in Toronto

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Jeff56, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I met Bert at a record show in the winter of 1981 (he gave me his card after I purchased a mint orig. Cheap Thrills LP) and I think he had just moved to Dundas Street West. He was there until around 1988, then he moved up to Yonge & Eg.

2. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

I typically go to Vortex or Monster Records for my vinyl as they are both close to where I live and I consistently pick up some good stuff from both. Less frequently I go the Cosmos stores, where I've purchased a couple of jazz and Beatles. I also seem to remember about three record stores all close to each other on Queen E, one of which might have been called Discovery; I spent quite a bit of money walking those two blocks. I picked up a couple of clean UK Beatles LPs at Kops. There's a smaller place a couple of blocks north of Dundas and east of Spandina where I've seen some classic rock records, but I haven't picked anything up from there yet.

There are plenty of opportunities to pick up some great vinyl in Toronto.

3. For the size of the store, quite abit of catalogue that most stores won't carry (ie: the previously mentioned Dead Can Dance set) and quite a few titles that even the downtown flagship does not carry.
    And there's a Vampi Soul display of REALLY cool stuff and most stores definetly don't carry never mind display.:righton:
    If you're into jazz (as stated) there's more stuff (and more knowledgable staff) than downtown as well. Today for the lunch rush they were playing a Keith Jarrett disc, you KNOW that doesn't happen in most stores! :thumbsup:

Talk with some of the folks there and see what they can do for you!

4. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Is "Dixie Records" - that used to be at the Fantastic Flea Market in the basement of Dixie Outlet Mall - still around? Lots of used CDs there, the odd rarity, but no records.

I was there last about six years ago selling some CDs and the owner didn't want a lot of them because they'd "been remastered". :rolleyes: I guess no one wanted the old, bad ones.

5. Don is still down there!

I know him abit and IMO he's a real good guy but I can't vouch for how he runs his business.

Or how he did six years ago at least...

6. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I'd seriously think of leaving the city if Soundscapes (on College) shut down. No used discs, but the best selection of new in the, well, country, though there is a place in Kitsilano (on West 4th) that's pretty good if a little pricey.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Good question! So long ago... I'd guess in the late 1970's? A buddy and me met him at a record show, he gave us his address, we took a trip to Kensington and he told us he was moving to Dundas. I think his success really started at the Dundas location in that old, ancient run down building. Ever go to that basement? Wow - pretty old!

Sunrise is definitely on the cool side. I was shocked to see a small vinyl selection the last time I was there. Picked up a Radiohead LP for $20.00 but passed on the GnR Appetite for Destruction for $49.99. Gotta find that one a little cheaper!

8. waynenet

waynenet New Member

No never in the basement...I was looking for a picture I took of that store years ago...will post whenever I find it...

Sunrise is one of the few new disc shop franchises left in Toronto...HMV and Sunrise...and I miss Edwards at Yonge and Eglinton, they were good too...

9. Robertazimmerman

Robertazimmerman Member

Star Records (currently in Oshawa only) had a store on Eglinton just east of Markham Road back in the 80's (early 90's?). Great staff, really knowledgeable about all music. I traded rare Dylan and Springsteen stuff with one of the staff and got some great vinyl and CDs from them at very reasonable prices. I even managed to get a "regular shopper" discount! :)

I'd walk in at lunch time in my suit and tie and talk to them about punk, Dylan, The Boss and always grab some vinyl or CDs. Then I'd trudge back to my job and my certifiably insane boss until it was time to go home and enjoy my latest finds.

Stores like that are extremely rare these days.......

R

10. Lilainjil

Lilainjil Forum Resident

Love this thread.

I have fond memories of hanging around the Vortex Dundas East location back in the day. An impressionable teenager from Scarborough eavesdropping on the (loud) conversations and recommendations from folks like Rob Bowman.

I remember at the time thinking this guy was not the typical hipper-than-thou record store attitude drone. Definitely into spreading the word about good music cheerfully and without ego. Who knew this guy would become a Grammy-winning writer.

And yes good ol' Star Records at Markham and Eglinton. Plenty of skipped classes for the sake of an import copy of Rock Bottom or Angel's Egg :)

11. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Neurotica on Queen St. W. (a couple of blocks west of Bathurst, I think) isn't bad. It's tiny, and stacked floor to ceiling with vinyl, DVDs, and CDs, but I found some decent things there a couple of months ago.

12. waynenet

waynenet New Member

Yes Star Records. How could I forget that one.

And ZOUNDS at Eglinton and McCowan...saw Bob and Doug McKenzie in person there for the Great White North LP launch...

13. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

They only brought them out on boxing day...
    There was a place down the street from Vortex that had tons of those boots in the day....I remember buying a three record Who set from the 1979 with a colour cover!

Ah...I remember going to the Peddler to purchase JPN pressings of King Crimson's "ITCOTCK" and Yes LP's...(well mostly all prog stuff from the big groups...and for some reason...I remember going to tennis camp in the summer of 1981 and going to purchase a JPN version of "Strange Days" on a lunch break...I was 13....)

My obsession began early obviously...

14. keoki82

keoki82 Active Member

Have you guys ever checked out Around Again on Baldwin Street? It's north of Dundas just west of McCaul. I've found some gems there!

15. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

As someone who worked at Edwards for six years, I could justifiably tell you that Ed's was one of the foremost and fair-priced CD stores in Toronto. They don't make 'em like that anymore...

16. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I remember going to Ed's when it was below Eglington...when he had maybe 10 CD's in the place...
    I miss those days...skipping school and going and hanging out there...just him and I...
    was almost a daily ritual to visit him on my lunch during 1983-1985 when I went to North Toronto Collegiate Institute.

17. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

Definitely a different time. I worked for him in the late 90s when he was above Eglinton, but I remember going there as a wee lad in the late 80s with my folks and always being greeted by his dog Bear. He would set out milk cartons so that I could go through the record stacks. I ran into him 8 years later when I was going to high school at Lawrence Park Collegiate Institute, he remembered me and offered me a job. Like I said, they don't make em like that anymore.

18. waynenet

waynenet New Member

Why did the shop go under? Competition? $$$? Simply retired?

19. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

Dunno. I was at university in Peterborough for a couple years by that point (I tried to do both, in vain), but I figure it would have been all of those factors.

20. johnny 99

I would likely recognize you if I saw you as I went there a lot; he certainly sld a lot of boots back then.

I hear Ed recently died after a bout with cancer; his store literally shut down overnight in 2006.

21. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

LOL, he did have a selection of "grey-area" releases, which dissapeared right around Y2K. First time I ever heard the beach boys' "smile" was from a Vigotone release I bought there.
    I don't know the circumstances, but for one reason or another he was out of his own organization (Record World/CD Replay) towards the last year or so, whether he was sick or whether he was forced out I don't know: I recall he posted a letter or toronto.com stating the latter. I do know that he died of tongue or throat cancer this past summer.

22. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

So sad...
    I didn't know....

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I love the Star records store, I hope it is still open on Simcoe Street in Oshawa. Mike, the owner is very friendly and has great taste in music.

Don't forget Star Records was the label for the Forgotten Rebels :righton:

24. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Thats the store I am ordering my new LP's from. Great shop that I always goto when I am in Ontario.

Eel. It is still on Simcoe.

25. johnny 99

I went there often from 77 to about 1980. I had a falling out with the owner Steve after he insulted an old girlfriend of mine (he wasn't a very nice guy deep down); he has no idea how much business he lost after that as no one I knew ever went back there again.

His brother owns the Oshawa store (they kinda look alike)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.