Keeping The Shrinkwrap On an Opened LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by axeugene, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axeugene

axeugene It don't matter if yer by my side, I'm satisfied Thread Starter

I just got a few records, and a couple of them still had the original shrinkwrap on them with just the opening side sliced. While it's cool to see how much they cost in the day, and I know in many cases having it on adds value, but I decided to take it off and enjoy the album cover without the bloody advertising. It's so much nicer looking now without the "Featuring Owner Of A Lonely Heart!" sticker or the pricetag on there.
    I don't plan on selling any of these again, or I might consider keeping them on. But even with the new vinyl I buy now, there's no way I'm keeping the shrinkwrap on. Anyone completely disagree?

2. xman

xman Active Member

I always try to keep them on. I have many a record from the 50's on up with the shrink. As long as it is not so tight as to "Bowl" a record I say it's okay. Always store vertically and you will be doing justice to your vinyl collection.

3. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Art over Plastic...

If its got a gatefold cover, the shinks gotta come off... :agree:

cheers,

4. IanL

IanL Senior Member

When I was a kid I used to keep the plastic on. At this point, I don't want all that peeling plastic on the rack and I want to just enjoy the album cover without a shiny reflective layer in between obscuring the artwork.

5. xman

xman Active Member

6. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

Personal preference.
    I generally leave them on but it makes little difference.

7. Mellenhead

Mellenhead Active Member

I find it harder to put the album in a plastic outersleeve if the original shrinkwrap is still on it. I just cut out any stickers listing songs, etc and put them in the outersleeve behind the cover. Finally, like the original poster said, if you aren't planning on selling then no need to keep it on unless you like the look, etc. Just my $0.02.

8. axeugene

At $30 each, I consider that a bit much for anything that isn't rare or quite valuable (of course I'm thinking of my own wallet, and no one else's). How many records have you used these on?

(edit): Read it wrong. Sorry. That did seem a bit too ridiculous.

9. xman

xman Active Member

It is only .33 1/3 per record my friend. I used them on everything. They are big enough for doubles too. They also fit over the shrink. Your records will look and stay attractive looking. MHOO

10. axeugene

Good call on the cutting out the stickers part! Why didn't I think of that? It does seem wrong to throw away the promo stickers.

11. For a gatefold inside I've never seen before I'll carefully slide the wrap off, take a good look/read, then carefully slide the wrap on again ... :laugh:

Really not too big a deal either way for me but I usually will keep shrinkwrap on unless it is so tight it is compromising the integrity of the cover.

Wrap or no wrap, all are kept inside 3mil outer sleeves.

toddfan likes this.
  12. xyyyy

xyyyy Forum Resident

I always keep the shrink wrap on. Since I collect 60's-early 70's rock and roll, I dig preserving the original price tags, etc. The jackets though are placed in a crystal clear 5 ml sleeve for protection.

I've noticed that as collectibles, it's more desirable to have the original shrink with stickers, etc. preserved.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

throughout my travels I often find open mint records with the shrinkwrap still on...I always leave them that way. Even though I'm not into vinyl I still buy albums that are not on CD or if they were remixed on CD...

14. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

I had read once a long time ago that leaving shrinkwrap on warps the records, thus I always removed it.

I no longer buy new vinyl so it is no longer an issue.

15. Michael

IIRC, just in the case of a sealed album...once opened the stress level is almost nill...

16. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I always kept it on unless the sleeve began to buckel or sway.

17. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Nothing wrong with the shrink wrap if it's not too taunt. Personally I only keep the shrink wrap on if I haven't got a plastic jacket protector handy.
    Most of the time I take it off also.

18. Michael

I used to do both!:rolleyes:

ah, the long gone days of vinyl collecting.

19. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Ahhhh, no longer a vinyl collector?

20. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I remove all original shrink from both new and used after purchase. All my LPs go straight into 4mil outer sleeves. I play all my records and handle all my covers (carefully). For me, the original shrink just gets in the way. I have never bought vinyl for strictly collecting purposes, so the shrink wrap has never played into that equation. I think the only vinyl I have that still retains their original shrink is a UK WYWH (black shrink, opened) and a US WYWH (blue shrink, sealed). I do however keep all original loose, baggy style outer sleeves.

21. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I always ditch the shrink wrap. I keep the records in 5mm sleeves from Sleeve City. Shrink wrap I find a nuisance but that's just me.

22. axeugene

So is the main reason for keeping the shrinkwrap on for preserving the sleeve, or for collectability?

23. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

All through the 1970s, I kept every new LP I bought in its shrinkwrap, meticulously slicing open the seal along the open end. Then in the late 1970s there was an article in Rolling Stone about proper LP care, which included one advisory to remove all shrinkwrap immediately, as it would eventually warp your LPs. I've since learned that shrinkwrap becomes less likely over time to warp an LP, as it loses its elasticity. Thanks, Rolling Stone.

24. Michael

Nope...I'm cured.:)

25. Michael

it lessens the tension almost immediately after one side is opened...especially on the older LPs...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.